Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Old Timers-What is the point of WLS if many regain/have hunger/diet drama..

Trying to get a 'family loan' for WLS as my insurance is as bad as my credit. As a result, my dad is reading reading about the Sleeve. He has noticed that many people only lose about 60-75% of their excess weight, and later gain even some of that back, still battle food, supplements and exercise-but add on GERD & other lifetime issues. It appears that the weight loss the first year is from the shock of the surgery and when your body bounces back, so do all the old issues-so why have surgery?

The usual question of, "If you have to do all that, then why have the surgery and the "All you have to do is..." followed by, since you can't do xyz now, what makes you think you can later."

I have of course gained and lost forever. Carbs are the death of me.

Old Timer thoughts? Thoughts in general?

post-291635-0-84459100-1463083317_thumb.jpg

I have to say, even if I only lost 60% my health is in MUCH better shape than if I had not had surgery and I would still consider myself a success.

foot. I've lost 30% now and I already consider myself to be in much better health, off diabetes meds, almost off blood pressure meds, active and involved.

I think in a situation where people have to pay cash they probably spend even more time evaluating if they are ready to make the lifestyle changes needed for permanent success. this can work in your favor. I have friends who went that route.

I don't consider myself an "old timer" yet, as I am officially one year out as of yesterday. However, I agree with @@Christinamo7 ... regardless of what the % is, I am so much better off. For me, it wasn't about a number for my weight, but rather about a healthier overall me. I have lost 132 lbs, but more importantly I am off ALL prescription medications (except allergy meds), my diabetes is now considered controlled, and I am able to do so much more physically. I know plenty of people who have had WLS & regained. But I also know some who have maintained their goal weight and healthier lifestyle. And it is a total lifestyle change. I no longer eat bread, Pasta, rice, and only minimal potatoes. I have cut out most added sugar. When I look at where I am today compared to a year ago, I am so much better off & wouldn't change a thing!

I would say to you that we have the surgery because nothing else worked. People who regain the weight don't take it seriously and think the surgery is the answer. The surgery is a tool and you must change your habits forever. This isn't a diet. It isn't a race to the finish. It is a life long marathon. To be of any success it takes time and patience, a commitment to the plan and hard choices.

Yes, some people regain the weight but that doesn't mean you have to. There are also people out there who are years post-op and are still at goal. You can do this!

I had posted this in the Lap band section. This is my story.

I was sleeved almost 5 years ago. I love it. But I my weight was climbing back up. I was up to 203 from 172. I was having nightmares about my weight coming back. ( started out 298 pounds) I notice some people would look at my belly before making eye contact, like before. Well my wife came back from her check up in Feb and was told her cholesterol was 345. Her Cardiologist ( from India ) told her she was a heart beat away from a heart attack or stroke & needed to go on a vegetarian diet. Well our daughter told us to watch "FORKS over KNIVES" made in 2011. It saved her friends life. So we watched it on Netflix. We were stunned. First thing you think of is "why is this information not getting out to us?"

You are taught If you put good stuff in your body, the body will fix itself. The problem was we did not know what the good stuff was.

My wife got up & we cleaned everything bad out of our kitchen & went to the store. ( No gimmicks to buy.)

We went back to the Cardiologist 2 months later. He told my wife was in STAGE #2 of Heart disease. We told him we were following the Forks over Knives way of eating. He stated this, "THERE IS NOTHING I COULD DO BETTER THAN WHAT YOU ARE DOING. YOU WILL CURE YOURSELF." Then he wanted to take blood work to see the changes.

RESULTS: Wife Numbers WAS 345 New 171 Cholesterol, Her BAD cholesterol was 233 New 71, Lost 25 pounds.

Mine: 190 old New 134 weight was 203 now 175.

If your cholesterol is below 150 you are heart attack & stroke proof. The doctor took my wife off her meds!

Two friends are doing this after I gave them the movie to watch. The are losing weight & both were taken off there diabetic meds. IT CURED THERE DIABETIC PROBLEM. There blood work will be done this month.

This is a healthy lifestyle to eat. You eat all you want. No counting. No worrying about anything. Just eat the healthy stuff as much as you want.

​There is a second DVD on Netflix "PlantPure Nation". The doctors go to a town in NC and put volunteers on the Whole Plant Base food for 20 days. The results of blood work in 20 days will surprise you. The body fixes itself fast. This is information that should be taught in school.

I'm not an old timer, but I'm closing in on 1.5 years and still working towards my goal. Weight doesn't come off as easy now, but it is still coming off. It's harder, but I know what I'm doing now and it involves working a bit harder and being mindful of what I eat. I think this is how regular people lose weight? ;)

So for me, WLS was the big push to change my life completely. I committed to having a life-altering and permanent surgery to combat my inability to control portions and used that time to relearn how to eat healthy. I have lost 112 pounds so far and I'm sure I'll make it to goal before my 2 year anniversary.

I got in touch with the reasons why I overate/ate the wrong foods. I worked on my mental blocks, cravings and Portion Control issues. I focused on finding enjoyable activities that didn't feel like work so I would keep at it instead of forcing myself to exercise. I learned to cook foods that were healthy and tasty for myself and my husband so he now enjoys eating healthy with me (and he has lost 75 pounds just from joining me on my food/exercise changes - without even having surgery!)

I know what to do if the weight starts creeping up. I know what foods to stay away from, and I know how I feel if I don't exercise and keep active. I won't go back to what I was, and I won't make excuses about it if I do gain - I'll just watch what I'm eating and my activity levels and adjust where there is a problem. There is no failure unless you give up and I don't plan to ever give up.

I am not the person I was 1.5 year ago. I will never be that person again. I am happier, healthier and more honest with myself and I have a great future with my husband because I chose to follow this path instead of accepting my fate to be the fat, unhealthy person I was and likely dying at an early age because I couldn't get a handle any of it.

The ones that regain are the ones that don't take those lessons to heart. They don't use the time they have to throw out all their awful eating habits, learn how to eat healthy, exercise and deal with the mental issues that caused them to use food as comfort/reward/whatever. They gave up on themselves basically and treated WLS as a cure-all instead of as a tool they had to learn to use and put in the hard work to use it correctly.

We all have a short period of time where the weight will come off without hard work, but that is temporary and weight will creep back on if you don't make all those changes.

If you're not willing to put in the work, then you may very likely regain.

I'm not even close to a veteran. I'm only 21 months post-op.

I've lost 100 pounds and have maintained at goal (150 pounds) or lower (now at 135 pounds) for longer than a year. It's certainly my intention to stay at or below goal for the rest of my life.

However, I gotta say that involving a family member as a lender for WLS -- and then having to justify to them for eternity whether I'm measuring up to their maintenance standards post-op -- sounds like hell on earth.

Ugh!

I had the band and lost about 80 pounds. I had many problems with it and had to have it removed. I was careful to maintain my eating and Portion Control. After 6 months of maintaining, the weight SHOT back up. I went to the doctor in tears. I was gaining as fast as I had lost. I had already seen forks over knives, food matters, food inc, fat, sick and nearly dead. I had given up all processed foods. I only consumed whole foods (well I cooked them, but nothing from a box; I chopped and prepared everything). He said if I was really eating the way I said I was that he didn't know what to tell me (so basically he was pretty sure I was lying; I wasnt). I still eat that way but I've gained all my weight back. I'm looking into getting the sleeve.

What I've learned is that when you have the surgery it changes your set point. It's a hormonal change that causes your body to lower the weight it thinks you should be. In some people, like myself, it switches back. They (doctors) don't know why. I've had my band removed and still eat whole foods, low carb, and under 1000 calories and my weight won't budge in the right direction. I'm hoping the surgery will change my set point again and without that blasted band I'll do better physically.

Why am I having another surgery when I know I may gain it back even if I'm perfect with my choices? Because I'll take three years being able to sit in normal chairs without fear and dread, 3 years of being able to find clothes, 3 years of time with my family that I may not have if I don't fix my weight. I'll take that. I'll have a surgery to buy 3 more years. And I'll work my as off to make it last forever. But if it doesnt, I'll still be happy with however long I get.

I hear you all, but it seems if you are not willing do to the work, make different choices, then it won't work, but honestly...if that worked, wouldn't be all be already a healthy weight?

Study how people gain weight back.

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-body/news/biggest-loser-study-examines-why-contestants-gain-back-weight-w204789

Remember the processed food is MADE to get you to keep eating. Fat, Sugar & Salt.

If you gain weight on the Whole food Base Diet you need to look and see what you are doing wrong. It can be only one item that is sneaking into your food. Look up book by Dr John McDougall, or Ornish, or a hand full of books out there.

Dr. McDougall is one of my favorites.

I hear you all, but it seems if you are not willing do to the work, make different choices, then it won't work, but honestly...if that worked, wouldn't be all be already a healthy weight?

I have to go through that comment once in a while.

Yes. If we could all eat 4 bites and exercise every day, etc etc. A lot more of us would be at a healthy weight.

Now for the caveat. You can mow your grass with a pair of garden shears, or you can use a lawn tractor. You can travel across country on foot, or you can get in a car.

The surgery is a tool. You still have to get up and go mow your grass, you still have to make it to the grand canyon. For some of us all we have are those garden shears or sneaker power to get those done.

I don't know if some people just come equipped with a push mower and a motorcycle, or if we had them and traded them away. Either way it's where we find ourselves. With something that needs to be done, and tools that will technically work, but not practically work.

I'm not even close to a veteran. I'm only 21 months post-op.

I've lost 100 pounds and have maintained at goal (150 pounds) or lower (now at 135 pounds) for longer than a year. It's certainly my intention to stay at or below goal for the rest of my life.

However, I gotta say that involving a family member as a lender for WLS -- and then having to justify to them for eternity whether I'm measuring up to their maintenance standards post-op -- sounds like hell on earth.

Ugh!

This. Even though my dad offered to help, I have moved heaven and earth to find alternate funding. He means well, but he can be a micromanager when it comes to my weight.

Maybe consider talking to a counselor together and make sure you have a written agreement in place with expectations and boundaries spelled out.

Is this a gift? A bribe? A tool for control? You may want to explore these questions.

I had the band and lost about 80 pounds. I had many problems with it and had to have it removed. I was careful to maintain my eating and Portion Control. After 6 months of maintaining, the weight SHOT back up. I went to the doctor in tears. I was gaining as fast as I had lost. I had already seen forks over knives, food matters, food inc, fat, sick and nearly dead. I had given up all processed foods. I only consumed whole foods (well I cooked them, but nothing from a box; I chopped and prepared everything). He said if I was really eating the way I said I was that he didn't know what to tell me (so basically he was pretty sure I was lying; I wasnt). I still eat that way but I've gained all my weight back. I'm looking into getting the sleeve.

What I've learned is that when you have the surgery it changes your set point. It's a hormonal change that causes your body to lower the weight it thinks you should be. In some people, like myself, it switches back. They (doctors) don't know why. I've had my band removed and still eat whole foods, low carb, and under 1000 calories and my weight won't budge in the right direction. I'm hoping the surgery will change my set point again and without that blasted band I'll do better physically.

Why am I having another surgery when I know I may gain it back even if I'm perfect with my choices? Because I'll take three years being able to sit in normal chairs without fear and dread, 3 years of being able to find clothes, 3 years of time with my family that I may not have if I don't fix my weight. I'll take that. I'll have a surgery to buy 3 more years. And I'll work my as off to make it last forever. But if it doesnt, I'll still be happy with however long I get.

One of the (many) reasons to get enough Protein is because of your set point. That is why my surgeon bases Protein requirements for life on starting BMI. My biggest question is whether or not you are getting enough protein. Minimizing calories, only eating plant-based, or whole foods, etc. won't really make that big of an impact if you aren't getting enough protein.

I have come to believe this is true whether or not you choose to have surgery.

On retrospect, this is probably one of the main reasons I got so large in the first place.

I TOTALLY agree with ISG and VSGAnn - getting money from a family member could add to the stress post-op.

Is he going to feel its his right to critique your food? Weigh ins?

I understand doing whatever it takes but definitely get some guidelines in there for what is/is not allowed.

Good luck, I feel bad that you are going to have to do that to get surgery.

One of the (many) reasons to get enough Protein is because of your set point. That is why my surgeon bases Protein requirements for life on starting BMI. My biggest question is whether or not you are getting enough protein. Minimizing calories, only eating plant-based, or whole foods, etc. won't really make that big of an impact if you aren't getting enough protein.

I have come to believe this is true whether or not you choose to have surgery.

On retrospect, this is probably one of the main reasons I got so large in the first place.

Yes, I log everything and I always get a minimum of 80 grams but usually 100-120 grams of protein. However with the band I did vomit almost every time I ate solid protein. To make up for it I did extra protein supplements and relied on that for the count and any meat I kept down was bonus. By the end I was doing mostly Protein drinks. My surgeon seemed good in the beginning but turned out to be a joke later. Maybe my goal of 100 grams wasn't enough?

I was never plant based. I just did no processed foods with the exception of my Protein shakes. But the fact that solid protein didn't sit well left me eating more veggies than meat (still I was meeting protein goal with supplementing).

There may be contributing factors, but what was not one of those was my dietary/exercise/lifestyle choices. My point is that it can happen even if you do everything right, but surgery is still worth it for me.

I'm curious what your protein goal is and what you use to calculate your need? Yesterday I had someone tell me I might be getting too much protein... can't win!