Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When will I stop regretting this surgery?

I also regretted my surgery..... at the beginning. I am now just over 2 weeks post-op and feeling better. I wouldn't call it regret, but I feel a little sorrow-ish when I see food....and people eating food. It's hard to wrap your head around not being able to stuff yourself with junk again...but honestly, where would that get you?? bad health and eventually 6 feet under if its not controlled. You made this decision because you didn't want to go there and you want to live the healthiest, liveliest life you ever could. So you owe it to yourself to make this work...Follow your Dr.s plan and you can't fail. Dehydration is no good so please find a liquid that you can tolerate (Cold, Ice cold, warm, room temp) whatever, just find something that will go down easy and start drinking early in the morning. Being dehydrated makes you ill and can really make your head foggy which I think maybe adding on to how you fill now. Take care of yourself and stick with these forums,,.....we are all in the same boat and will 1 by 1, increase the population of HEALTHY citizens of our planet. Since WLS has become more popular there are less overweight people and that's a very good thing....proof that it does work.

You have to believe in yourself!!!

Edited by reachbree

13 days out and the thing that I regret is being on liquids for a month...it really sucks..other than that I can't wait for the journey ahead

Sent from my SM-G935T using the BariatricPal App

13 days out and the thing that I regret is being on liquids for a month...**** sucks

I am frustrated with eating slow but by no means am I regretting the surgery....after having a c-section and a hysterectomy the recovery is very much easier than those....I am 10 days post op....do I miss certain foods for sure! But I would seek counselling if you are extremely depressed....and I am also in need of a hobby besides eating! I wish you the best on this journey.....it will get better for you I hope.

That's good to know. Sleeve vs C section. Thank you! On hobbies... Irish crochet?

Sent from my SM-A500FU using the BariatricPal App

. Wow bitter much

Huh? Who was "bitter"?

My only regret is not having this done sooner.

I'm 5 days post op and really struggling today. The shakes and Jello taste so cloyingly sweet to me now it is all I can do to drink one. I'm so sick of broth but it is a challenge to get all the fluids in. I'm tired, irritable and am wondering what I've done to myself. I have to return to work Wednesday and honestly don't know how I'm going to get through a workday.

I thought I had prepared for this but obviously not. Please tell me it gets better.

I don't think I regret the surgery, but the reality of everything is very weighing. I am so scared of leaks. I vomited constantly for two days after the surgery. I finally came home and am feeling a million times better, but all of a sudden I am experiencing pain on my left side. I am more scared than regretful.

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

I am 13 days post-op and the first few days I was winding what I have done to myself but it is getting easier day by day. I will be honest I was not expecting this much pain but I am positive and it will be worth with.

Sent from my iPhone

I don't think I regret the surgery, but I don't like having to relearn how to eat, what signals your body gives and having to worry about throwing up after trying new things in the beginning. I was able to walk a couple of miles today with no problem -which I must say was actually pretty nice

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

13 days out and the thing that I regret is being on liquids for a month...**** sucks

I was on liquids for 34 days so I know what you mean. I kept it interesting by experimenting with different Protein powders and Torani syrups to invent new Protein shake flavors. I also added unflavored Protein to every broth and pureed/strained cream Soup I could find. I rarely had to eat the same thing more than a couple times unless I really liked to. In fact, even now I still have a Protein Shake nearly every day.

But you'd be surprised, liquids may become your new best friend. I've been maintaining below goal for over 20 months and going back to full liquid Protein diet for a few days here and there is a great way to drop a couple pounds after eating off plan over holidays and vacations. Great tool to have.

You can't change it and these feelings WILL go away if you consider what may happen if you work your WLS. I have a stricture, I was nauseated for the first few weeks. I was dehydrated for a long time. I was stuck on purees for 6 weeks and couldn't eat "real food" until my 3.5 month mark. I slimed and foamed for my first year and I still vomit at almost three years out if I eat rice, potatoes or Pasta, or one bite too many. Feeling full is miserable and my meals are teeny.

This sounds horrible

Sent from my Nexus 6 using the BariatricPal App

Okay I'm due to get my sleeve in June and everyone is kind of freaking me out. I hope everyone gets to enjoying and loving their sleeve like I imagine myself doing so....

Everyone's experience is unique. I had anticipated being in significant pain immediately following the VSG and for a few weeks afterwards, and was surprised that it was relatively minor. I started my period during the surgery, and it was like the cramps were amplified tenfold that first day. The staff was excellent and gave me ample pain medications that dulled the discomfort. I'd also brought a heating pad with me, and it helped. I was up and walking relatively quickly, and was even told I needed to slow my pace. After being released from the hospital I felt well enough to go shopping. I had the surgery in Tijuana due to insurance not being willing to cover any of the expenses (my BMI was under 35), and live in Los Angeles a couple of hours away. We went sightseeing in San Diego and shopped at an outlet mall on the way back. The first couple of weeks I was more tired than normal, but I had very little pain. I did have some stomach issues at the one month mark when I slowly began eating solid foods again. I had to revert to liquids for a while. I did worry about dehydration. My doctor actually told me to have Gatorade since it had calories I needed and my stomach tolerated it well. It's not something to have as part of your everyday consumption, but while sick it helped me.

I do think it's helpful to equip yourself with the knowledge that it is normal to have regrets post surgery I watched many YouTube videos by people who had the VSG and their experiences, read a book about the "sleeved life", and read through this forum and others. Repeatedly people said they had "buyer's remorse" in their first month. Over time as they healed and adapted the regrets faded and they were grateful for their decision. I've actually never had any regrets about having the VSG, but I think knowing that if I did I could persevere through them helped me.

How did you find a doctor to see you if you had your surgery in Mexico? I'm going to be doing the surgery in Mexico on 8/5 and I still don't have a doctor to see in Florida when I get back. I'm getting scared

Sent from my Nexus 6 using the BariatricPal App

I had the sleeve on April 9th. I regret this surgery with every single ounce of my being!! Everyone says it get better...WHEN?! I wish every day I could take this back. I used to be so happy and now I hate even waking up.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

I wanted to see if you are feeling any better since posting this.. any updates?

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App

Holy moly! I didn't realize so many have posted! I am now 12 weeks out. I am down 54 pounds. I spent 10 days in the hospital right after I initially posted. Ended up with blood clots in my arm from a bad IV. I was so depressed so I went to a doc and he prescribed antidepressants. I started going to church and zumba too. I absolutely still regret it. I still miss food but I have realized that there is nothing I can do to take it back.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App