Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone,

I have type 2 diabetes and I had my pre op surgeon appointment just over a week ago. My doctor said he feels the surgery can offer me great results, from a diabetes standpoint. What I would like to know, Is there anyone else on this forum who has type 2 diabetes and had this surgery and what affect has it had on their diabetes post op. It is my hope that I won't require anymore diabetes medicine after this but I understand there's a chance this might not happen.

Cheers,

Bmoe

I was type 2 diabetic preop. At the highest my A1C was 11. Preop it was 8. At my six month post op checkup it was at 5.7. I never used insulin, just metformin and glimiperide to control my glucose levels. Diabetes was the biggest factor in my choosing to finally have RNY gastric bypass. This was after backing out 2 times previously.

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App

Hi there! First off congrats on you're WLS journey thus far! I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about 6 years ago. By the time I decided to have RNY I was taking Metformin 1000mg twice a day and Victoza injections 20 units once a day to control my glucose levels. I also had high blood pressure and was on meds for it for about 16 years. Post op I was taken off all diabetes medication before I was even discharged from the hospital. About 2 months post op I was taken off of my blood pressure meds. I take not prescription medication anymore. The only pills I take are Vitamins. Lots of vitamins lol! I am so happy I had the surgery! It has been an amazing success for me and my health! Now I will say that it depends on how bad your diabetes is. My sister is a really bad diabetic. She also had RNY and she still takes some medication. It's about a 1/4 of what she had to take pre-surgery. So I would still call that a success. I think weight loss is always beneficial to people struggling with type 2 diabetes. I hope this helps? Good luck with the rest of your journey! [emoji4]

Hi,

I have been type 2 for 17 years. I am almost six months post op. I still have type 2, but I only take 1 Metformin 500 mg tablet a day. I exercise, and that helps to give me normal fasting levels. I will always have diabetes, but I can control it now.

I was Type 2 prior to my surgery last August. The day of surgery I was taken off my medications and have never been back on them. My A1C has been excellent ever since and I also no longer need any HBP meds. You'll still need to watch your sugar intake, but if you follow your surgeons diet and nutrional guidelines, you shouldn't be consuming too much anyway. Good Luck.

I had been type 2 for almost 20 years when I had my RNY surgery. I was taking Lantus at night, which was eliminated before surgery. I was also taking Janumet twice a day. I decreased those until I was only taking 1 every other day. At 3 months post-op, my doctor took me off of everything. I still monitor my BS but haven't had any problems. It really is kind of a miracle.

Thats what i want a miracle! But i'd settle for becoming a scratch Golfer did i mention i like golf?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I had been type 2 for almost 20 years when I had my RNY surgery. I was taking Lantus at night, which was eliminated before surgery. I was also taking Janumet twice a day. I decreased those until I was only taking 1 every other day. At 3 months post-op, my doctor took me off of everything. I still monitor my BS but haven't had any problems. It really is kind of a miracle.

Hi!

What do your fasting levels run?

How many carbs do you take in daily?

Do you eat sugar at all?

Hi!

What do your fasting levels run?

How many carbs do you take in daily?

Do you eat sugar at all?

My fasting BS is usually between 120 and 130, which is a little high for a normal person but fabulous for me. (My A1C earlier this month was only 5.6)

My carbs are usually between 25 and 40g per day. I eat no sugar at all.

Hey there! I just had surgery 6 weeks ago (tomorrow! WOO!), and at my 2 week post-op was taken off of my insulin. I was on daily Levemir and mealtime Novolog and both are now no more. My last A1C was 5.7 (down from over 9 about 6 months ago). No pills, nada. (I was on Metformin, and then Glipizide prior).

I'm absolutely shocked. I've been testing my sugars at least twice a day because I'm still kinda in awe of what this has done for me, but my sugars have not gone above 100 in 4 weeks now, and I'm averaging around 89-90. My endo said I don't have to test EVERY day, but I'm nervous at least while I add various foods and things back in.

So far, so good.

This and the other success stories have me more optimistic then ever before. Presently with the 50 lbs I lost pre op my last A1C was 6.9 my average novo rapid usage is down to maybe 10-14 units a day usually after supper. Traditionally my biggest meal of the day. I take 2 g of metformin in a day 1g in morning And 1 g supper time. I take Victoza and invokana in the morning and about 35 units of Humilin N at night time. So it's my hope to be med free with the next 50 lbs and post op surgery date is may 31 and it's a gastric bypass.

Cheers,

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Edited by bigmoe99

I have had type 2 for 20+ years. Preop I was taking 145u a day of lantus, 20-45u at each meal of novolog, 25mg a day of jardiance and once weekly injection of trulicity. My pre op A1c was 6.3, I am one month post op now. I am still taking the jardiance and novolog, my sugars have been running higher than I would like so I may need to reevaluate my meds. But at this point I'm goingglad to at least have cut out 2 of the 4 meds I was taking and hope that with more weight loss I will be able to decrease further, although it is very likely that I will always need some meds for my bs.

I have had type 2 for 20+ years. Preop I was taking 145u a day of lantus, 20-45u at each meal of novolog, 25mg a day of jardiance and once weekly injection of trulicity. My pre op A1c was 6.3, I am one month post op now. I am still taking the jardiance and novolog, my sugars have been running higher than I would like so I may need to reevaluate my meds. But at this point I'm goingglad to at least have cut out 2 of the 4 meds I was taking and hope that with more weight loss I will be able to decrease further, although it is very likely that I will always need some meds for my bs.

With a pre-op A1C of 6.3, fingers crossed as your body gets used to things, and it'll go down into normal territory. I wasn't expecting to come off of mine completely, but I have. Here's hoping they're able to get you off a good portion of those meds!