Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone had sleeve then had to revise to bypass

I am still preop but have heard about a lot of people having sleeve and winding up having to get it revised, but not sure why? I'm leaning more towards the sleeve but am now second guessing myself worried I'd have to get it revised

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

The sleeve was originally step one in a two step process where you would get sleeved then after a while get bypass. But after a while it was seen that weight loss with the sleeve was pretty much the same as with bypass so the sleeve was approved as a stand-alone surgery

From my own experience with the sleeve...since being sleeved this past September I have lost 150 pounds

Actually the sleeve is the first step, for lots of patients, in the duodenal switch surgery,* not the gastric bypass. Many people do revise to bypass, mostly because acid reflux can be caused or exacerbated by the sleeve, while bypass usually cures acid reflux.]

*most DS patients have their stomachs sleeved and their intestines re-routed at the same time, not in a two-step procedure, but for some patients it is safer to do the sleeve first, lose more weight and get healthier, then complete the second step of the DS.

I often see people who get the sleeve revising to bypass because they are unhappy with their weightloss or feel like they don't have the restriction they need to be successful. I also see people who get the sleeve, lose the weight, and then gain it back and want the bypass, though I suspect that is more an emotional issue than an anatomical one. Personally, I first wanted the sleeve but chose the bypass because I wanted more bang for my buck, no chance of being cut open again for a second surgery (barring complications, of which I had none) and the highest amount of accountability possible. My surgeon's office doesn't do the DS, so bypass it was. I'm nearing my 200 pounds lost milestone, over 140 since surgery in August, still losing pretty consistently. Really, it's all about what you want. Either will be a great tool for you.

I was sleeved in 2011 and after losing 88 pounds I gained about 30. An egd revealed my sleeve was stretched and I had a lot of acid reflux. I just had the revision to mini bypass in March. I wish I had done this from the beginning and not the sleeve. For some people the sleeve works great but for me it was not enough and if I had it to do over again I would do the mini or full bypass from the beginning. Good luck with your decision.

I had the sleeve in 2012, lost all the weight and developed refulx/GERD so I'm now going in for bypass on the 5th. I hate to go through all this again, the loss of energy and Hair loss was the worst, but I can't handle sleeping sitting up anymore.

I'm in the process of deciding if I'm going to convert to a bypass from a sleeve. After my sleeve, I developed significant GERD. It's so bad that, even on maximum dosage, PPIs don't provide me much relief. I swear, breathing air can give me heartburn. I had an endoscopy last week and my surgeon told me my sleeve is anatomically perfect, I was just one of the unlucky few to develop GERD as a result. At this point I may be leaning towards bypass as my Dr. told me it has a 99% chance of curing my GERD and getting me off PPIs as opposed to the non-surgical treatment (Stretta) which only gives me a 50% chance of symptom relief. This is only my opinion, and others who were sleeved with GERD as a preexisting condition have had their problem resolve and would disagree with me, but knowing what I know now, if I had GERD prior to surgery I would not go with the sleeve. The acid is miserable and impacts every part of my life from sleeping (I sleep sitting up or I choke on acid), to exercising (I've had acid come out my nose when I run) to eating. Anyway, if I end up converting, I'm going to miss my sleeve . . . we've grown quite fond of each other. Good luck whatever decision you make!

Edited to add, I lost all my weight (130 lbs) with the sleeve and still have amazing restriction, so my decision isn't based on a desire to lose additional weight. Just wanted to make that clear!

Edited by stacyrg2

That is why I had gastric bypass instead of doing all of that dr. Really wanted me to have the sleeve but it was my money and I chose the gastric bypass. I have two friends that are married one had gastric bypass the other had the sleeve. The one with gastric bypass can not eat fried food a lot of fat or sugar. The one that had the sleeve after a couple months out she's all kinds of stuff Donuts Fried chicken he looks great and she's gaining weight back. macaroni and cheese as health food to her in her case she really should have had the gastric bypass I can't even tell by looking at her if she lost any weight. She learned nothing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using the BariatricPal App

@@stacyrg2 I 100% agree with you that I wish I had done the bypass of mini bypass in the first place and not the sleeve. I never would have had to go through a second surgery. Oh well, better late than never.

That is why I had gastric bypass instead of doing all of that dr. Really wanted me to have the sleeve but it was my money and I chose the gastric bypass. I have two friends that are married one had gastric bypass the other had the sleeve. The one with gastric bypass can not eat fried food a lot of fat or sugar. The one that had the sleeve after a couple months out she's all kinds of stuff Donuts Fried chicken he looks great and she's gaining weight back. macaroni and cheese as health food to her in her case she really should have had the gastric bypass I can't even tell by looking at her if she lost any weight. She learned nothing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using the BariatricPal App

Posts lie these drive me craaaazzzzyyyyy. Just because a person had VSG does not doom them to failure and choosing RNY does not mean you will successfully lose all your weight and keep it off. Both surgeries are nothing more than a TOOL. If you don't learn proper nutrition and develop good eating habits, you WILL NOT succeed. I lost more than 120lbs with my sleeve. I LOVE my sleeve and would give anything in the world to keep it. I'm not revising because I suddenly woke up and saw the light and realized I chose the wrong surgery. I'm revising because I need to to maintain esophageal health

While RNY might be the right decision for you, it is not the right decision for everyone and I don't want anyone choosing between the two procedures to be swayed by your one "friend" who didn't succeed with the sleeve. From what you said, it's because she didn't develop good habits, not because the surgery failed her.

I guess I'm just cranky today. I am a successful sleever and proud of it!!

I had the gastric sleeve done 2 and 1/2 years ago and I lost 70 pounds. I have kept it off and I love my sleeve. I follow my diet and I'm very comfortable with the sleeve but unfortunately I have developed severe Reflux and Gerd and no amount of medications helps me. I am going to do a revision to a bypass just to keep from getting esophageal cancer. I prefer the Sleeve and I'm sad I'm having to get the bypass but I have no choice at this point. For all of you who are undecided, if you have heartburn or acid reflux, go with the bypass, otherwise the sleeve is awesome. I'll be doing my revision in August.

I had the gastric sleeve done 2 and 1/2 years ago and I lost 70 pounds. I have kept it off and I love my sleeve. I follow my diet and I'm very comfortable with the sleeve but unfortunately I have developed severe Reflux and Gerd and no amount of medications helps me. I am going to do a revision to a bypass just to keep from getting esophageal cancer. I prefer the Sleeve and I'm sad I'm having to get the bypass but I have no choice at this point. For all of you who are undecided, if you have heartburn or acid reflux, go with the bypass, otherwise the sleeve is awesome. I'll be doing my revision in August.

Did you have reflex prior to surgery?

Did you have reflex prior to surgery?

Yes, I did.but I didn't think it would continue.