Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A little food advice, please and thank you!

Happy Monday to all of you.

I could use a little advice and maybe some suggestions. I will be 4 weeks post op on Tuesday. I've done so well with healing including no problems with food, so I'm allowed to SLOWLY start incorporating "my new normal" foods into my diet. Actually, I was allowed to start last week. Wow my taste has changed so much. That's not what I consider to be the biggest issues.

My thing is is it takes me forever to figure out what I want then when I do figure it out, the smell makes me nauseas. On top of that, one day I could absolutely love something, so I'll go to eat it again and it's gross. Seriously?!?!?

I am to go no lower than 600 calories, but they'd like for me to get 800. Sadly, I'm lucky if I break the 500 mark and I know that's part of the reason I feel so drained.

Anyway, I spoke to my nutritionist. Her advice.....sometimes you have to go for ice cream, milkshakes, or basically anything filled with sugar, just to get those calories up. I understand why she said it, but I just can't seem to force myself to do it.

One thing I'm extremely pleased with is I have yet to crave all my normal "go to" foods, and I just really don't want to do anything that might trigger anything that could sabotage me early on.

So....did any of you have this problem, or know anyone that did, in order to offer a little advice?

Even 800 calories is not a lot, so yes, you don't want to be below that on ongoing basis. Even the smell of food makes you naseous? Have you been vomiting a good deal before this? If so, your brain may have gotten conditioned to associate that smell with illness and vomiting...

Some suggestions that are less drastic than ice cream and milkshakes:

1. Greek yogurt - make it lowfat instead of nonfat

2. Find some way to eat legumes, like

2a. Bean salads like these - these are premade, but there are recipes online, you could buy vinagrette dressing

http://www.cedarsfoods.com/products/mediterranean-salads/all-natural/aegean-edamame-salad-8-oz/

http://www.cedarsfoods.com/products/mediterranean-salads/all-natural/chickpea-salad-8-oz/

http://www.cedarsfoods.com/products/mediterranean-salads/all-natural/black-bean-salad-10-oz/

2b. chicken or turkey chili with Beans - these are canned, but pretty good, if you can't find, there are recipes online

http://www.traderjoesreviews.com/product/trader-joes-chicken-chili-with-beans-reviews/

3. Soft fruit - a nice ripe banana or cling peaches in extra light Syrup

4. High Protein or high Fiber oatmeal (which tend to have lower sugar as well), like:

http://www.quakeroats.com/products/hot-cereals/high-fiber/maple-and-brown-sugar.aspx

http://www.quakeroats.com/products/hot-cereals/protein/cranberry-almond.aspx

5. Low sugar/whole grain cereals with 1% organic milk - Original Cheerios, All Bran Flakes, or Post Shredded Wheat & Bran,

6. Light string cheese

http://www.shopwell.com/lucerne-string-cheese-mozzarella-light/cheese-hard/p/2113004745

Thanks @BarryW.

Smelling certain things that I originally thought I wanted, do make me nauseas. I seriously feel my sense of smell is has heightened after the fact. I'm driving my son nuts cause I swear I'm smelling something bad in the house. He claims he's not smelling anything. And although the smell, texture or taste make me nauseas, I'm not vomiting nor have I. I just get turned off.

What you are saying makes sense. Years ago I had gotten the flu. Although I was fully recovered, it was weeks before I could eat again for the same reason. The smell turned me off.

I will try the various recipes and suggestions. Like I said, one minute I would like something and the very next day I'd go to eat it again and I just couldn't.

I've never been one that liked to cook, so it makes it even harder now that I'm having an issue with smells so the suggestions of quick and easy foods are greatly appreciated.

Thank you again for all the great responses. I seriously don't know how I'd get through this without all of you.

Every dr has different rules. Mine wasn't worried about calories only Protein and liquids. I was eating 400-550 calories for the first 3 months and at 5 months I'm up to 700-900. I'm always surprised when I hear how many calories everyone is taking in. Whatever works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, @SassyNanny. My dr is definitely concerned with Protein and Water as well, but since going back to work, ive had a few lightheaded moments so they are not wanting me to get below 600 for sure. Still not there but I try. My entire life I've had issues with severe dehydration due to medical complications. They are concerned if I don't get in enough calories for my size, 264 now, to keep up with the daily grind at work, I could end up with major problems later on.

I also consider myself very lucky cause I've read the weeks and months of food restrictions some had. By week 3, I was allowed to slowly start the new normal diet. Too bad I don't want any of it. Lol.

Also what helps foods tasty palatable is making sure your tongue is clean... we do this to our nursing home patients that have lost taste sensation due to meds /age/ strokes.. we clean their mouths and they say foods taste better and the get less nausea... I know you don't fit into any of those categories but it just sounds like your kinda desperate... sorry if offended...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using the BariatricPal App

Not offended at all. I'm willing to give anything a go.

Thank you so much for your suggestion!!

PERSONAL OPINION -

I found this thread interesting...

We're all quick to tell someone to 'follow your doctor's orders' or 'your own support team know you better than we do'...

Until it seems that the EXPERT is mad...

Now, I'm not saying that the NUT in question has given good advice...

The advice given by the NUT does seem somewhat questionable (at best!!)...

I'm also not saying that the advice given here is bad...

On the contrary, the advice given here seems to be all over that given by the NUT...

But to the OP I say this...

Please bear in mind that, while everyone here has your best interests at heart, and has given you some excellent advice, it's YOUR team who know YOU and YOUR situation best...

There may well be a reason, even if we can't think what that might be, that your NUT has advised you to do this...

My suggestion would be, as others has said, to consult with another nutritionist before you make any drastic changes to your diet.

If/when you do, be sure to ell them EVERYTHING that you think of...

Some things may seem minor to you, but to a professional can make a world of difference...

Again I reiterate, this is simply my personal, non-professional opinion...

Good luck to you and I look forward to reading your updates...

(Because ultimately, we all think your current nutritionist may be a loon..)

OMG, Do not listen to your NUT! I think she might be nuts for even suggesting that you eat that stuff!

Drinking 3 Protein shakes a day will put you at about 900 calories alone. So if you need to increase your calories just incorporate Protein Shakes for now.

Thank you for your response.

I do have an appt with the NUT that I used during the 6 month physician assisted weight loss phase. Unfortunately, I couldn't get in with him until May 3rd.

My surgeon and the "questionable" NUT are 3 hours away, so I wanted to have someone closer to deal with as far as nutrition goes.

I never met, or dealt, with the hospitals NUT until the day of surgery, and again when she called to follow up.

Thank you again for your response. I do appreciate any and all advice.

Ur nut should lose her job! Telling someone this is wrong! We have issues with food and u can't just say eat ice cream! Uhhhhh some ppl. Dnt be tempted.

Soft cheese, or the cheese on a stick is yummy.

I love Greek yogurt

Even a slim fast to get n the extra cals is better than an ice cream.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

When the hospitals NUT came into the room after surgery(first time I met her) I was still pretty much out of it, but later that evening the friend that came and stayed kept saying "I think there is something wrong with that woman". Im not sure what caused her to come to that conclusion, but Im thinking it was legitimate. Lol.

What kills me is she's even had RNY!!! I am no nutritionist by far, but....as so many of you expressed, there are WAY better choices than what she suggested.

Like I mentioned before, I don't like to cook, or shop, so it's hard for me to think outside of the box.

With that said, if a food is not mentioned as one of 5 suggestions on the list, I don't think of it. And that gets old fast.

I know I'm missing out on a ton of good choices, that's why I sought advice from all of you.

Thanks again to all.

Have you tried lunch meat wrapped around low fat string cheese as an option my nut suggest that to me for like on the go type days

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I257 using the BariatricPal App

Actually I hadn't until today. I was making my sons lunch and I spotted the mustard. I don't care for it, but for whatever reason I couldn't get it off my mind.

Well I knew I couldn't just turn the bottle up, so I grabbed a piece of turkey with romaine lettuce, squirted a little mustard on there and for once in over a week, i found something that tasted fantastic.

Not sure if it was because I cleaned my tongue, or if it was because it really didn't have a smell...but who cares. I was thrilled!!

Edited by Andrea72

Thats great hon seriously

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I257 using the BariatricPal App

This is a very blessed problem to have, @Andrea72. I was craving things within 48 hours of getting back from the hospital. Also, it seems like you are on a particularly aggressive return plan to normal foods. At 4 weeks, I was still on no tougher consistency than scrambled eggs...i.e., late puree, early soft. If you need to stay above a certain calorie amount, I would just say slightly increase the portion sizes of the stuff you know are good to eat, like nonfat yogurt and lean protein...these things hopefully cause the nausea related to smell to be minimal. I think in your case your instincts will be far more useful than your nutritionist's advice, which frankly is the most likely thing to sabotage you. This is a gift...both the sleeve and your apparently changed taste buds. Don't let that get reversed!