Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

@@bigmoe99 You are right - complex is what we want - rather than simple sugars. Although simple sugars include Milk and Yogurt and they should be part of our diets - but select the ones with lower sugar content (be careful with some of the yogurts - they are sometimes loaded with as much sugar as a candy bar! Thanks Moe!

What brand of Greek yogurt has 0 sugar?

I don't know of a 0 sugar yogurt, but my NUT recommended Fage 0%. It has 0g fat, 7g carbs (sugar), 18g Protein per cup. That's hard to beat. It's a little thick, so I mix in an ounce or so of soy milk which makes it a very nice texture. (I'm pre-op so I can still eat a cup... )

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

http://bariatrictimes.com/recommended-levels-of-carbohydrate-after-bariatric-surgery/

This study recommends 90g of carbohydrates for someone 6 months out eating 850 calories a day, so 50g does not seem high at all. At least on my post-op diet, I'm supposed to be eating about 600 calories a day right now, which would proportionally be about 65-70g.

What brand?All Greek yogurts have some sugar.6gm is the lowest I have found.Chobani plain or Fage 2% have 6gm...the lowest...Please et me know which brand has 0 calories.....I have yet to find one.

The right carbs are an important part of your diet. Without them your body and brain simply doesn't function well.

Good carbs come from fresh fruits, vegetables, milk, cheese......

It is difficult to find prepackaged foods that don't have hidden bad carbs in them. Especially Soups.

Soups and stews are some of the best foods early on. I began making homemade soups minus the potatoes, Pasta and rice right away. At about 6 months out I began adding some whole grains like barley to my soups in small amounts.

I have learned to make large batches of food and freeze them in me sized portions.

Now that I am at goal and trying to maintain I am ok to add a little whole grain bread, brown rice and even a small amount of high Protein Pasta.< /p>

This week I had a craving for my famous home made lasagna but I wanted to tone it way down from the many layers of lasagna noodles and I really wanted the real thing. I decided to make mini lasagna in a cupcake tin so that I could freeze all the other portions. Instead of using lasagne noodles I used 2 wonton wrappers for my pasta. Because wonton wrappers are so thin, it allowed me to fill up the cup with more of my meaty sauce and delicious ricotta/Parmesan mixture. I got two layers and topped it with a small sprinkle of shredded mozerella.

Let me tell you, they were absolutely delicious! 1 lasagna cupcake and a tiny side salad. Now I have a bunch in my freezer that I can simply bake off when I want them. My husband was bummed because he loved my lasagna before. Then I made him two for lunch the other day and he told me it tasted the same as the real thing and he liked the fact that the pasta got crispy on the edges.

Re-engineering recipes is so much fun now! It's best to try to stay away from prepackaged processed foods which then allows you to add good carbs through veggies and fruit. And when you get to the point where you are close to goal adding in whole grains for a meal here and there is controlled by you.

@@mizzzzzzT - 50g is probably not too much. But have you checked out Fairlife Skim milk? It has lower sugar than most. Also, if you are eating sugar free popsicles, there are still 4g carbs in those (from sugar alcohols). Not an issue I think but I just noticed it when I thought I was lower carb and couldn't figure out where they were coming from.

Yea I only eat plain Greek yogurt 0 sugar and only low fat skim milk that's where the carbs are coming from

There's always sugars in yogurt because of the lactose. Even plain. Try Oikos Triple zero. No added sugar, no fat & yummy!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm really curious about carbs even when I'm not eating bread...I'm using a tracker to show me my meals and everything in them breaks it down...but even not eating bread Pasta or anything carby lol my carb consumption is about 50g per day from Soup and whatever the puree diet allows bassically but I feel like I'm not doing a good job at not eating that stuff I'm 2 weeks post op and worried I know there is a stall coming I can see it on the scaled slowly creeping up I'm down 41lbs since March 14th including pre op weight loss

You are doing really well on the weight loss and in becoming a label watcher.

Very, very important habit to get in.

Staying under 50 grams of carbohydrates per day seems to be very reasonable to me.

The carbohydrates are almost always displayed on the labels in a way that even breaks down the carbohydrates into sub categories. Fiber is one of these. Sugar is another. Embrace those wonderful Fiber grams. Shun the sugars just like you are.

Fiber carbs can be removed from your totals. Our bodies don't process fiber carbs and they provide great benefits to us, both short term and long term.

I supplement with fiber powders every few days. The orange flavored Metamucil stuff works great and tastes really good, too.

Using your app.....and using your own savvy when checking those labels is a POWERFULLY helpful tool in your future life. I would submit that it may even be the MOST important tool any of us could add to our post-op arsenal. I'm only 6 months out and I feel that the constant awareness of exactly what I eat and how it adds up every day is a tremendous part of this war on the fat that has collected in my body over the past several years.

You are doing great and approaching things with a good battle plan.

What app is being used to track the carbs I would like to check it out.

Cheers,

Bmoe

I'm really curious about carbs even when I'm not eating bread...I'm using a tracker to show me my meals and everything in them breaks it down...but even not eating bread Pasta or anything carby lol my carb consumption is about 50g per day from Soup and whatever the puree diet allows bassically but I feel like I'm not doing a good job at not eating that stuff I'm 2 weeks post op and worried I know there is a stall coming I can see it on the scaled slowly creeping up I'm down 41lbs since March 14th including pre op weight loss

Staying under 50 grams of carbohydrates per day seems to be very reasonable to me.

The carbohydrates are almost always displayed on the labels in a way that even breaks down the carbohydrates into sub categories. Fiber is one of these. Sugar is another. Embrace those wonderful fiber grams. Shun the sugars just like you are.

Fiber carbs can be removed from your totals. Our bodies don't process fiber carbs and they provide great benefits to us, both short term and long term.

I supplement with fiber powders every few days. The orange flavored Metamucil stuff works great and tastes really good, too.

Using your app.....and using your own savvy when checking those labels is a POWERFULLY helpful tool in your future life. I would submit that it may even be the MOST important tool any of us could add to our post-op arsenal. I'm only 6 months out and I feel that the constant awareness of exactly what I eat and how it adds up every day is a tremendous part of this war on the fat that has collected in my body over the past several years.

Edited by bigmoe99

What are complex carbs? Any carb or just carbs related to bread rice and Pasta

I guess what I'm asking is if the carb is coming from low fat milk and low fat Greek yogurt does that mean it's good carbs

Complex carbs are "good" carbs from whole grains, vegetables, fruits, etc. carbs that have fiber.

Simple carbs are processed, sugars, starches, etc.

What app is being used to track the carbs I would like to check it out.

Cheers,

Bmoe

The carbohydrates are almost always displayed on the labels in a way that even breaks down the carbohydrates into sub categories. Fiber is one of these. Sugar is another. Embrace those wonderful fiber grams. Shun the sugars just like you are.

I use MyFitnessPal.