Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I miss a good piece of toast and I miss rice. I am following the rules and not eating Pasta, rice or bread but I was wondering at what point can they be added back in? Do I need to wait until I have lost all the weight I want to lose and am trying to maintain?

that depends on a bunch of things - your own body, your nutritionist (and how closely you follow his/her directions) and what kind of rice/bread you eat. It also depends on whether you mean "can I physically eat digest this without getting sick" or "should I be eating this while trying to be as healthy as possible and continue to lose weight". I'm 8 months out, and only VERY recently started adding such things back into my diet. I have decided that bread will never be something I have in my diet, save for very rarely and as a treat. Wheat is something that a lot of people REALLY don't want to give up, but the reality is that our bodies are not made to digest it, it is LOADED with carbs (read: sugar!), which we generally try to avoid as wls patients, and it causes insulin spikes. It can also prevent the absorption of certain minerals and nutrients we need to survive and be healthy... and we already have enough absorption issues! Most nutritionists say that it's good, or even healthy (because of the fiber) to eat whole grain bread, but I have personally decided that the insulin spikes are not worth it, I would rather eat healthy carbs, and I can get my Fiber in other, healthier ways. That is entirely your decision, and only you and your nutritionist have any right to tell you what to do. :)

As for rice, I'm now able to eat small amounts of brown rice, and brown rice is really good for you. I was so tired for the first six months or so, and now that I've been able to add good carbs back in (brown rice, quinoa, Beans, etc) I feel much, much better! No doubt you will get a myriad of responses here that all contradict each other. I can only offer what I have learned and experienced. The best place to ask this question would be your nutritionist's office.

How are you feeling otherwise? at 4 months out, I was still sort of miserable and tired. Then again, I was also anemic at the time! Keep on keeping on... :)

EDIT: here's an article that explains pretty much everything I've learned about why wheat is bad for you: http://news.discovery.com/human/why-you-should-probably-stop-eating-wheat-121214.htm I've learned from many sources but this one sums it up pretty well and explains the digestion and absorption issues clearer.

Edited by Cervidae

Cervidae, thanks for the quick response! I am feeling good. I am able to walk much faster and farther now than I was a few months ago. I am strength training a few days a week at the gym. I reached Onederland on Friday which was a huge milestone for me as I haven't seen this weight in 20 years. My only complaint right now would be the scary rate at which my hair seems to be falling out. I am getting in at least 80 grams of Protein per day and taking my Vitamins and Biotin faithfully. I sure hope it slows done soon or I will be bald. :(

I do like brown rice and the bread I like is the Ezekiel sprouted that is in the freezer section. I will talk to my nut at my 6 month follow up in July and see what she thinks. Thanks again. Your stats are amazing! You are doing great!

Yeah, I'm considering canning bread too. I bought this fantastic dark rye stuff at a whole foods place and for

Gods sake the darn bread is 140 calories per HALF slice (50 grams)...!!! That's a tiny piece.

It's simply not worth it.

For a few days last week (I'm at 9 weeks post-Op) I realized I was eating nearly a third of my 1100 calories a day in worthless, non-nutritional crap like diet Popsicle, pudding, Italian Ices, chocolates with stevia, etc - the point is that I'd much rather use/eat up my daily calorie allotment on stuff that gives sustenance and even more importantly I'm keeping the Sweet tooth thing going. It's time to bite the bullet and train my palette away from sweet stuff. That's how I got in this position in thye first place, well that and the main love of my life: chewey, doughy, breads etc.

I think it is extremely important to maximize your weight loss during the "weight loss" phase. So I would recommend waiting at least until you hit the "maintenance" phase. I am 35 months post op RNY and I limit my complex carbs (bread and pasta) to a maximum of one meal per day.

I don't eat bread, I tried once, on a recent hospital visit, and was I sorry.

I choose not to do bread, rice, or Pasta, it's way too high in carbs. Is brown rice really that much better for anyone? It has Fiber, but the carbs are about the same. SUPER HIGH! That's what makes you fat. Once in awhile, I will do half a serving of crackers, various types, if I want to have some tuna salad or cheese spreads on a few crackers. That is enough to fill me up, with just a half serving.

I keep as many carbs out as possible. I shoot for under 80 per day. I usually end up around 50-60. I keep careful track of the carbs, as I know, that is what I was stuffing and fattening myself with pre-surgery.

I don't even really care about food anymore. I eat only because I have to. I still have no physical hunger. 1 year of therapy helped the food addiction issue. I'm just being very very careful about any transfer addictions popping up.

I have recently replaced rice with quinoa. It's not a bad substitute. Though frankly, I try to even limit quinoa because I don't enough about it. People keep telling me it is a Protein but it looks so much like rice that I can't wrap my head around that. lol

@@esskay77 quinoa is really good because it's a Protein and a good carb, like Beans. I know Bariatric patients are generally all "carbs are evil!" But the fact is, we need carbs for energy. To not eat any carbs for a long period of time is not good. I did it, and I felt like crap. No energy at all. Not to mention, quinoa is a grain we actually are able to digest. It's digested very slowly, for a slow release of energy, which also prevents insulin spikes. It's got a ton of fiber and aids in digestion and helps to keep your bathroom visits "regular". It also contains nutrients that our bodies need to remain healthy. It's generally just very good for you, especially if you don't eat tons of it. It's like what most people think whole grain Pasta is, when in reality, whole grain pasta is awful for you. Just make sure, if you do try it, that you don't get a pre-cooked one because they almost always contain oils to prevent it from sticking. Oils are another food that should NEVER be consumed, contrary to popular knowledge. I used to eat and cook with coconut oil. Turns out it's carcinogenic, and also not something we were not made to digest. The more you know!

Edited by Cervidae

@@Cervidae Thanks for the info. That helps.

No bread ,no pasta....once in a blue moon I have lentil or black beans.....but i mostly stick to Paleo diet.

In the earlier stages, when my nutritionist said I could have toast, I tried it a couple times and it was not that great, so I never ate bread again. Granted, I am only 10 months post-op, but I recently had my Vitamin and minerals tested and it showed I had a Thiamin deficiency. The bariatric nurse sent me a list of things I could eat that were high in Thiamin/B1 (I think) and surprisingly bread was on the list.

Yeah and remember there's a fair amount of us vegetarian bariatric folks too! So legumes of course HAVE to be part of the diet, I eat black bean Soups, baba ganoush, chiles, (and I'm 9 weeks out) and lentils...