Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So what's the deal with fizzy drinks?

I have read a few comments here that reference not being able to drink carbonated drinks. Why is that? Not going to lie, carbonated drinks are one of me favorite things lol

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

Your new stomach is rather small and apparently many patients experiment lots of pain from the carbonation. And in general, the carbonated drinks are not very healthy, and since you can still drink your calories after the sleeve, it's easy to cheat.

Carbonation can stretch your stomach. So can the air from using straws. Carbonation and straws are the two things you need to say goodbye to permanently.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I was told that the sleeve is created from stomach tissue that does not easily stretch. Carbonation expands in the stomach and can be painful as it has nowhere to go. I have had a few sips of carbonated drink since surgery and did feel some discomfort.

I did find out I could tolerate beer (which we shouldn't) by pouring it into a glass and allowing the carbonation to exit first, but if I try to drink it directly from a bottle it is challenging and even painful.

My surgeon told me the issue of drinking with straws was an urban legend and told me there was no issue doing so.

The air from the carbonation takes up space that you need for fluids and nutrition.

Truth. I'm very full after a Coke Zero.

Your new stomach is rather small and apparently many patients experiment lots of pain from the carbonation. And in general, the carbonated drinks are not very healthy, and since you can still drink your calories after the sleeve, it's easy to cheat.

Also true. If I drink a Coke Zero out of a bottle, the carbonation is too much and it can be painful. A fountain drink or a bottle poured over ice is much better.

Drinking your calories is bad, especially if you are getting zero nutritional value. Diet soda, on the other hand, is not an issue.

Carbonation can stretch your stomach. So can the air from using straws. Carbonation and straws are the two things you need to say goodbye to permanently.

So NOT true. Air doesn't stretch a sleeve. In fact food shouldn't stretch a sleeve if the procedure is done right and the patient doesn't chronically overeat to discomfort. Even then, the "stretching" is minimal as there is so little fundus left over after surgery.

Straws have nothing to do with anything. I giggle every time I read/hear this.

For the record, I'm almost three years out, at goal weight, maintaining beautifully and sipping a Coke Zero through a straw as we speak. ;)

The old "no-straws" or "no-carbonation" debate. Doctors seem to disagree widely on this.

Early on after the surgery, the air or gas could possibly cause discomfort. But then again, my Water was given to me with a straw, post WLS, in the hospital.

Not speaking for other surgery types, but for the VSG, I don't know how that much pressure could build up and stretch the remaining area of the stomach, which is not as pliable, without exiting the (esophageal sphincter?) in the form of a burp.

Sugary sodas can contain a lot of calories per serving and there are all sorts of additives in sodas. Also, some sodas are a little acidic.

Some people are afraid of having their diet sodas leading to other old habits; that could be a valid concern for them.

There are better choices for liquids. Everyone needs to do what they feel is right for them re: the straw and diet soda debate.

Edited by 4MRB4PHOTO

.....For the record, I'm almost three years out, at goal weight, maintaining beautifully and sipping a Coke Zero through a straw as we speak. ;)

DIET SODA!

CAFFEINE!

A STRAW!

Ohhhhh, I am beginning to feel weak. I better lie down.

:)

PS. Congratulations on your great weight loss efforts.

Edited by 4MRB4PHOTO

In a nutshell carbonated drinks are to be avoided because they are unhealthy and make one fat and unhealthy!

Rather than ask why you can't do something the better question is given the decision to have A VGS why would you want to have carbonated drinks? Especially if it is one of your favorite things? I don't know about you but I have the least amount of control over my favorites.

I was a 2-3 liters of Coke Zero a day and trying to break myself was tough. I am treating it like rehab I just choose not to drink it today because I know where it will end.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I have read a few comments here that reference not being able to drink carbonated drinks. Why is that? Not going to lie, carbonated drinks are one of me favorite things lol

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

Hi. I'm on my 3rd week post op. I have had no problems with gas as of yet. But in nutrition class I believe they said the carbon would be painful. Also the caffeine from sodas and coffee could cause ulcers. I chose to stop soda and caffeine all together for that alone. Once I stopped drinking soda I dropped 10 lbs quickly. I loved soda! Once I started substituting with Water, well now my body craves Water. Hope that helps. Blessings to everyone on their journey. ;)

Sent from my LG-H631 using the BariatricPal App

In a nutshell carbonated drinks are to be avoided because they are unhealthy and make one fat and unhealthy!

Rather than ask why you can't do something the better question is given the decision to have A VGS why would you want to have carbonated drinks? Especially if it is one of your favorite things? I don't know about you but I have the least amount of control over my favorites.

I was a 2-3 liters of Coke Zero a day and trying to break myself was tough. I am treating it like rehab I just choose not to drink it today because I know where it will end.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Not all carbonated drinks are unhealthy and make you fat. There's sparkling Water for example. I believe the assumption (no research has been done to prove it) is that carbonation could stretch the sleeve. It also often causes significant pain and discomfort.

I would not drink carbonated drinks just in case of the possibility of stretching your pouch.

There is a misconception that fizzy drinks can cause the sleeve to stretch but that is not true. What is true, is that most carbonated beverages are incredibly bad for you and your waistline, including if not a specially diet sodas. That said, there are chemical free low calorie sparkling beverages that will not hurt your weight-loss efforts or your stomach.

If gas build up from carbonation could "stretch a sleeve", why aren't Beans, Brussel sprouts, broccoli, cabbage and other foods known to cause big gas also frowned upon?

Sorry, it's ludicrous to think air could stretch one's tummy.