Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

not able to eat lunch with co-workers

Not everyone knows that i had surgery, but if I am in a group someone always makes a statement about the small quantity of food that I eat. i find this uncomfortable. How do over people handle this?

I've had that happen in work lunch meetings. I've simply said that I am simply not very hungry......feeling fine....just not hungry.

It was absolutely 150% none of my coworkers business at all.. but to avoid every single uncomfortable scenario that can possibly come up at work revolving food/people offering me food/people talking about food... i decided to tell about 10 people in the office, who I most associated with. My surgery was 2.5 weeks ago, and people have been more then considerate and just really helpful and encouraging. It may be because I am one of the youngest at 25 AND work for a hospital, and they all look to me like I am the baby, but for whatever reason work has been easy. (except for lunch time when everyone food smells amazing). To tell or not to tell that is your choice, I agree with everyone else's comments as well, just do what works for you and good luck!

Edited by miss_smiles

Im curious. is there a reason to keep it from them?

Well, I do not usually disclose all of my business to co-workers. It is not anyone’s business what I elect to do. I am not seeking anyone’s approval. I did not feel that I need to place a billboard on the highway. People that are close to me and are my friends know about my surgery and support me. Honestly, at my age, I do not give a darn about what people think. I have just been taken back about the questions and comments from casual acquaintances. I work in a hospital, so we all go to the cafeteria to eat. I have found it interesting how people will have observations and freely ask personal questions in the presence of others that truly is none of their business.

My question to the group was is this happening to others and if so, how were they handling it.

I'm an extrovert, so I initiate a lot of table talk.

When you ask others about themselves, they get pretty interested in their topics and themselves. Maybe that would distract them from how much you're eating.

??

And here's another option -- you don't have to eat with them. You can "go shopping" at lunch or go walking at lunch. Obviously, you're losing weight and that will be noticed. So you're just watching what you eat (as others said).

However, the truth is that I haven't had to deal with that problem; no one has ever said anything about how much I eat. Maybe my luncheon companions are just more polite than yours?

Another truth is that now I'm on maintenance, I do eat more than I did during the weight loss phases. And I do eat for as long as everyone else eats -- I just don't eat as much as some people at the table.

Final thought -- I'll tell you who doesn't overeat: healthy, normal-sized people and skinny bitches. And now I'm one of those people.

:)

I don't find it to be an issue, and no one at works knows about my surgery. When we go out, I order small meals, kid size if available. If I asked I reply that "rather than eat 3 big meals a day, I eat 5-6 small ones" Then with some I even throw in, "its a struggle though, I feel like I am always eating". It I get a larger meal, I will get it to go and may say "dang its gonna take me all day to eat all this and maybe tomorrow". After a time or two, no one asks and even the restaurant I frequent asks me if I want my usual.

I don't believe you have to tell people about surgery if you are not comfortable doing so...it is a personal choice. Only 4 people know of mine, and none of them coworkers. No one has asked flat out if I have had surgery.

No one at work knows I had surgery - they do know that I've lost a lot of weight...I always get the "you eat like a bird" comments.

I just say things like, "I had a late lunch" or "I had a snack"

It was absolutely 150% none of my coworkers business at all.. but to avoid every single uncomfortable scenario that can possibly come up at work revolving food/people offering me food/people talking about food... i decided to tell about 10 people in the office, who I most associated with. My surgery was 2.5 weeks ago, and people have been more then considerate and just really helpful and encouraging. It may be because I am one of the youngest at 25 AND work for a hospital, and they all look to me like I am the baby, but for whatever reason work has been easy. (except for lunch time when everyone food smells amazing). To tell or not to tell that is your choice, I agree with everyone else's comments as well, just do what works for you and good luck!

Just remind yourself that the best part of their food is the aroma (which you can have). The taste won't measure up to the aroma anyway.

I work with a bunch of guys and maybe that's why I don't hear a lot of comments. I didn't share my WLS for about 4 months and then they started asking if I was ok, was I sick, was everything ok at home...I explained my surgery to them. they will occasionally ask if I am really full on a cup of yogurt. at Christmas they were surprised when I ate with them. we paid for a preordered meal. I of course had 3 meals worth but they didn't even realize that.

point is that is you shouldn't feel awkward eating your lunch no matter how little or large. don't let their questions make you feel out of place. change the subject and keep eating your yogurt!

A 

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

B

Can someone send us a "C" (the letter that is).

I hope you aren't posting a reply one letter at a time.

:)

Edited by 4MRB4PHOTO

D

You know what I realized about 10 weeks out? That I was eating about the same amount of food as the skinny girls I hung out with. If people are giving you grief find some healthier more supportive people. Take car of YOU[emoji6]