Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Here! Just starting the process and scared as hell (but excited too)

Hey I am almost on my 4th out of 6th appointment with my doctor and we should probably have the sleeve around the same time as my last appointment is the end of June. I would love to have a person to discuss my worries and excitement with :)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hey, I'm the same way! I should have it around July or August!

Sent from my SPH-L710T using the BariatricPal App

It's super nerve racking isn't it? Waiting those 6 months lol

I just did the blood work,psyc, and nutritionist. Now need to do the meetings. And was told to practice eating one meal for 30 minutes.

My coordinator told me to do my blood work and upper gi toward the end of my 6 months because they only are valid for about a month for some reason lol. One of my problems is that I eat super fast I should try eating slower too

I have to start school in September for nursing so there was no wag i could have the surgery at thst time. I started this journey in july snd chickened out. So i was told i had to start over but i explained to them i had a cat accident in late February and herniated my disc in my lower back. The doc were telling me i would recover fast due to my weight.

I just came back from my Introduction Seminar. I learned I have to lose 10% of my highest weigh in at my last visit. Since I have managed to lose 11lbs already, I only have to lose another 28lbs to have my surgery. That makes me really happy.

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

Hi! It's an exciting time for you! Congrats on your decision! I must say its the best thing I've ever done. I've had ABSOLUTELY NO REGRETS since having my sleeve on Dec 17, 2015. I started at 260 on 8/3/15. Did my 3 months for insurance, lost 25lb during that pre-op time. Since surgery I've lost 52lbs!!! For total of 77!!!! Tomorrow will be 4 months... So happy! I was lucky to not have much pain or nausea after surgery. Keep reading posts on this site. I learned SO much prior to surgery about what to expect and what post op would be like. Good luck to you in your journey! You sound like you have a very positive attitude so I'm sure you'll do great!!!

Hi! It's an exciting time for you! Congrats on your decision! I must say its the best thing I've ever done. I've had ABSOLUTELY NO REGRETS since having my sleeve on Dec 17, 2015. I started at 260 on 8/3/15. Did my 3 months for insurance, lost 25lb during that pre-op time. Since surgery I've lost 52lbs!!! For total of 77!!!! Tomorrow will be 4 months... So happy! I was lucky to not have much pain or nausea after surgery. Keep reading posts on this site. I learned SO much prior to surgery about what to expect and what post op would be like. Good luck to you in your journey! You sound like you have a very positive attitude so I'm sure you'll do great!!!

A little scared on the eating part. After surgery. How did you lose 25lbs wow.

Hi! I am in the beginning stages of this process as well - but I have to do the 6 months of monitored weight loss so I will be having surgery in the fall. For years I was adamant that I would never have WLS, but multiple failures at dieting and the wear and tear on my 50ish year old body is becoming too much to ignore. If I don't lose this weight, I am looking at two knee replacements and probably a hip replacement down the road. I decided that WLS was a better choice with the hope that I can avoid having replacement surgery altogether.

Robin

Hi Robin!

I completely feel the struggle. Constant dieting for years and years really takes it's toll. Hopefully you will be able to avoid all those replacements! What a wonderful reward!

Hi There.

I'm just a step behind you. I went to the orientation and have my first appointment with surgeon on April 19th. I'm nervous because I've always been able to do this on my own (I think like many of us I've lost the same 100 lbs 3 TIMES!) But I'm older now, tired and just know I can't do it alone anymore. Following the diet has been challenging...really, no diet coke? But we can do this right? BTW - I'm in NorCal too! Closer to the bay though. Good luck!

Hi Mom2!

I, like you, CANNOT WAIT to end the constant yoyo cycle! I haven't been told the specifics of the diet yet (didn't go to an orientation, just jumped in feet first lol) so I am not yet familiar with all the restrictions that are to come yet. But no diet coke would be a bummer for sure haha. BUT, totally worth it if it means that I can be 100lbs lighter or more this time next year. And it's always nice to see another cali dweller! We should hold a big meet-up or something. :)

I'm on the same timeline as you also! I had my initial consult on 3/25. My insurance requires nutrition classes & Med supervised weight loss for 90 days, which I started on 4/5. I hope to be approved in early July.

An aunt of mine had gastric bypass & I was amazed by her transformation. She has been very open about her process but I'm really shy to tell anyone about this. I'm in my early 30s and worry that people will think I'm being lazy or taking the easy way out because I'm so young. That being said, I'm determined to do this and feel a lot of hope about the future.

I totally get that! I have been rather shy and embarrassed about this as well. Most of my friends and family have been pretty supportive, but others have seemed almost disgusted. My father being one of them :( I have an immense amount of respect for him and don't want to disappoint him, but he is one of those people that has just never struggled with weight. He firmly believes that if I just tried a little harder the weight would just come off. He doesn't understand that for me it just is not that simple. It is a little discouraging to be honest, but I still believe I am making the right choice.

I understand about the age thing too. I am only 25, so people generally seem to hold the opinion that I am lazy and am using surgery to "take the easy way out". *snort* AS IF this is easy in any way lol

>Welcome! You are definitely in for an exciting time of change in your life! I don't think you will regret it! I decided to have the sleeve surgery because I wanted to be able to do more things with my children, actually LIVE my life instead of watching from the sidelines, and improve my chances of living a very long life. I had surgery about 2.5 years ago and have lost over 130 pounds. It has been absolutely life-changing. I've done things I never in a million years would have thought I would be able to do like run a 1/2 marathon, I adore taking different exercise classes like barre, etc, I am very active with my kids all year long, I am able to walk into any store and pull something off the rack and buy it without thinking twice about it fitting, I've worn bikinis for the first time in my entire life, and I have worked hard to be kind to myself. It's not just magic though. It takes A LOT of work. Not just with being careful to stick with the eating plan, but also I had to do a lot of work on myself to get at the root of my over-eating and self-sabotaging patterns that I had for years with food. It's been a lot of hard work, but so worth it. Good luck on your journey!

Wow! That is so inspiring! I hope you don't mind if I ask you a few questions?

How did you overcome the psychological aspect of not being able eat/chew for those first few months? And what about afterwards?

After the first year or so, did you ever get back to a relatively "normal" diet? Obviously I don't mean back to the same eating patterns, but for example if you wanted to eat a slice of pizza at a birthday party would you be able to?

What was the recovery from the surgery like? Was there a lot of pain?

Sorry for all the questions! I have more but I'll hold them back in reserve haha

Hey I am almost on my 4th out of 6th appointment with my doctor and we should probably have the sleeve around the same time as my last appointment is the end of June. I would love to have a person to discuss my worries and excitement with :)

I am here for you! It looks like you will be having your surgery about a month ahead of me. How has the process been for you so far?

Hi! I'm just starting out too :) I have all the intake forms here and have my first informational seminar at the beginning of May. No waiting period set by my insurance, but the surgeon appears to require an 8% weight loss (around 20lbs for me, eek), 6 weekly meetings, and the normal pre-op labs/tests. So it looks like I could possibly lineup for August as well but with my 2 kids (ages 8,10) home all Summer I'm thinking it might be better to wait until school starts so I have more available down time at home. Haven't decided how to handle it if they offer me an earlier date!

I'm nervous, too - but so ready. I'm 36 and have been overweight since I was 6. It's beyond obvious that I can't do this alone. Here's to a bright new (much healthier) future!! :)

Hi Sarah!

Looks like we will be having our procedures at about the same time! The 20 pound weight loss requirement may seem daunting, but I am sure you can do it! From what I understand, we have to go on an all liquids diet for 2 weeks prior to surgery anyway, and if what I have read is correct, most people lose at least 20 pounds during those 2 weeks anyways. So that might make it easier for you lol.

How did you overcome the psychological aspect of not being able eat/chew for those first few months? And what about afterwards?

Honestly, it wasn't hard the first couple of weeks. I was basically just trying to get enough Water then. There was some head-hunger, but if you stick to what you need to do, that will pass.

After the first year or so, did you ever get back to a relatively "normal" diet? Obviously I don't mean back to the same eating patterns, but for example if you wanted to eat a slice of pizza at a birthday party would you be able to?

Yes, after everything completely heals, much to my dismay, I realized I could eat pretty much everything. I tried the whole "everything in moderation" approach for a little, and that didn't work for me at all. I am a sugar addict (including carbs that metabolize to sugar). I can't have just a little. Just a little would set off terrible cravings and week-long eating binges. So, I am a stick to the plan religiously kinda gal.

Recovery from the sleeve surgery was pretty basic for me. I didn't have to take any pain meds once I left the hospital. There was a little discomfort, but not what I would call "pain,." The biggest thing in recovery was adjusting to eating/drinking again and being super tired. It took a good 6-8 weeks before my energy came back up to normal levels.

Hi! I am in the beginning stages of this process as well - but I have to do the 6 months of monitored weight loss so I will be having surgery in the fall. For years I was adamant that I would never have WLS, but multiple failures at dieting and the wear and tear on my 50ish year old body is becoming too much to ignore. If I don't lose this weight, I am looking at two knee replacements and probably a hip replacement down the road. I decided that WLS was a better choice with the hope that I can avoid having replacement surgery altogether.

Robin

Hi Robin!

I completely feel the struggle. Constant dieting for years and years really takes it's toll. Hopefully you will be able to avoid all those replacements! What a wonderful reward!

Hi There.

I'm just a step behind you. I went to the orientation and have my first appointment with surgeon on April 19th. I'm nervous because I've always been able to do this on my own (I think like many of us I've lost the same 100 lbs 3 TIMES!) But I'm older now, tired and just know I can't do it alone anymore. Following the diet has been challenging...really, no diet coke? But we can do this right? BTW - I'm in NorCal too! Closer to the bay though. Good luck!

Hi Mom2!

I, like you, CANNOT WAIT to end the constant yoyo cycle! I haven't been told the specifics of the diet yet (didn't go to an orientation, just jumped in feet first lol) so I am not yet familiar with all the restrictions that are to come yet. But no diet coke would be a bummer for sure haha. BUT, totally worth it if it means that I can be 100lbs lighter or more this time next year. And it's always nice to see another cali dweller! We should hold a big meet-up or something. :)

I'm on the same timeline as you also! I had my initial consult on 3/25. My insurance requires nutrition classes & Med supervised weight loss for 90 days, which I started on 4/5. I hope to be approved in early July.

An aunt of mine had gastric bypass & I was amazed by her transformation. She has been very open about her process but I'm really shy to tell anyone about this. I'm in my early 30s and worry that people will think I'm being lazy or taking the easy way out because I'm so young. That being said, I'm determined to do this and feel a lot of hope about the future.

I totally get that! I have been rather shy and embarrassed about this as well. Most of my friends and family have been pretty supportive, but others have seemed almost disgusted. My father being one of them :( I have an immense amount of respect for him and don't want to disappoint him, but he is one of those people that has just never struggled with weight. He firmly believes that if I just tried a little harder the weight would just come off. He doesn't understand that for me it just is not that simple. It is a little discouraging to be honest, but I still believe I am making the right choice.

I understand about the age thing too. I am only 25, so people generally seem to hold the opinion that I am lazy and am using surgery to "take the easy way out". *snort* AS IF this is easy in any way lol

>Welcome! You are definitely in for an exciting time of change in your life! I don't think you will regret it! I decided to have the sleeve surgery because I wanted to be able to do more things with my children, actually LIVE my life instead of watching from the sidelines, and improve my chances of living a very long life. I had surgery about 2.5 years ago and have lost over 130 pounds. It has been absolutely life-changing. I've done things I never in a million years would have thought I would be able to do like run a 1/2 marathon, I adore taking different exercise classes like barre, etc, I am very active with my kids all year long, I am able to walk into any store and pull something off the rack and buy it without thinking twice about it fitting, I've worn bikinis for the first time in my entire life, and I have worked hard to be kind to myself. It's not just magic though. It takes A LOT of work. Not just with being careful to stick with the eating plan, but also I had to do a lot of work on myself to get at the root of my over-eating and self-sabotaging patterns that I had for years with food. It's been a lot of hard work, but so worth it. Good luck on your journey!

Wow! That is so inspiring! I hope you don't mind if I ask you a few questions?

Sorry for all the questions! I have more but I'll hold them back in reserve haha

I am here for you! It looks like you will be having your surgery about a month ahead of me. How has the process been for you so far?

Hi! I'm just starting out too :) I have all the intake forms here and have my first informational seminar at the beginning of May. No waiting period set by my insurance, but the surgeon appears to require an 8% weight loss (around 20lbs for me, eek), 6 weekly meetings, and the normal pre-op labs/tests. So it looks like I could possibly lineup for August as well but with my 2 kids (ages 8,10) home all Summer I'm thinking it might be better to wait until school starts so I have more available down time at home. Haven't decided how to handle it if they offer me an earlier date!

I'm nervous, too - but so ready. I'm 36 and have been overweight since I was 6. It's beyond obvious that I can't do this alone. Here's to a bright new (much healthier) future!! :)

Hi Sarah!

Looks like we will be having our procedures at about the same time! The 20 pound weight loss requirement may seem daunting, but I am sure you can do it! From what I understand, we have to go on an all liquids diet for 2 weeks prior to surgery anyway, and if what I have read is correct, most people lose at least 20 pounds during those 2 weeks anyways. So that might make it easier for you lol.

Honestly, it wasn't hard the first couple of weeks. I was basically just trying to get enough Water then. There was some head-hunger, but if you stick to what you need to do, that will pass.

Yes, after everything completely heals, much to my dismay, I realized I could eat pretty much everything. I tried the whole "everything in moderation" approach for a little, and that didn't work for me at all. I am a sugar addict (including carbs that metabolize to sugar). I can't have just a little. Just a little would set off terrible cravings and week-long eating binges. So, I am a stick to the plan religiously kinda gal.

Recovery from the sleeve surgery was pretty basic for me. I didn't have to take any pain meds once I left the hospital. There was a little discomfort, but not what I would call "pain,." The biggest thing in recovery was adjusting to eating/drinking again and being super tired. It took a good 6-8 weeks before my energy came back up to normal levels.

The process has been easy but the wait is killing me. I have my fourth appointment next Monday. I'm super anxious about being approved since I have no comorbities but it's being going fast none the less. How is it going for you?

MamaRhea- the upper GI is easy. In and out in about 30 minutes. They have you swallow barium quickly. And then take pictures standing and then you lay down for pictures and on your side, etc. they watch the barium go down I was in and out in 30 min.

Mary- Thank you! That is super helpful. I try to cram as many appointments as I can into the same day, that way I only have to take 1 day off work instead of several half-days.

Hi Sarah!

Thanks! I think 20lbs won't be too hard. I've lost 40lbs repeatedly over the years, it just keeps coming back. The motivation this time is that once it's gone, it's GONE. :) This is such a weird feeling! Knowing that by this time next year, I'll be in a totally different place with regards to weight and health. So exciting!

Sarah - I totally get that! I am pretty much always day-dreaming about being able to wear a bathing suit next summer! And being able to fit into that goal dress that I have had for the last 8 years. And not being the fattest one in the room for once lol. I'll be able to really get into Yoga once I am no longer too heavy to twist myself into all the positions haha. So so so crazy exciting!!

Congratulations everyone on your journeys. I wish everyone the best of luck. I was really nervous when I started the process. I had a 3 month supervised weight management program to complete and had various appointments appointments. I am on the 4th day of the pre-op diet and scheduled to be sleeved 28 April 2016 so I am counting the days.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Elle - Thank you! How is your pre-op diet going? Are you doing the all liquids one? Only 10 more days!!

Hello, i'm starting the same journey at the same time with you!

Moria - Yay!! It's so nice to find people to go through this with together! Have you already had your consultation?

I just did the blood work,psyc, and nutritionist. Now need to do the meetings. And was told to practice eating one meal for 30 minutes.

My coordinator told me to do my blood work and upper gi toward the end of my 6 months because they only are valid for about a month for some reason lol. One of my problems is that I eat super fast I should try eating slower too

Moria - That is a good idea to try to slow it down. I will try to start doing that today. I don't even remember the last time it took me 30 minutes to eat! Lol

Amurillo - That is really interesting about the upper GI only being good for a month. My team is having me do mine this Wednesday, but my surgery won't be until sometime in August. So mine will be way older than a month. I hope they don't make me do a second one before the surgery ...

I just came back from my Introduction Seminar. I learned I have to lose 10% of my highest weigh in at my last visit. Since I have managed to lose 11lbs already, I only have to lose another 28lbs to have my surgery. That makes me really happy.

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

Phoenix - Wow you have already lost 11lbs!! That's awesome congratulations! And 28 more pounds doesn't seem that bad at all! You can do that no problem.

Catmom - Congratulations on your success!! That must just feel so amazing. And yes, I am just so incredibly happy to have found this community. You guys are all just so awesome and so willing to help a newbie. I already feel like I have known you all for years :)

Livv - Thank you for taking the time to answer those for me! That definitely clears up some of the confusion and uncertainty I was feeling. It does make me just the slightest bit nervous, as it seems that most people, like you, really can eat just about anything without consequences. Is it crazy that I *almost* hope that I am one of the few that gets dumping syndrome? I feel like that extra consequence would kind of help keep me in line lol Sweet things really aren't my wheelhouse, but SALTY. Oh lord. Especially if it's kind of crunchy. Like popcorn. Or taquitos. The good thing is that I generally really do like my Proteins, meats, eggs etc. So I don't think it will be too difficult to train myself to eat those first. Hopefully then I will be too full of Protein to even want to sneak a bite of cheeseburger. *crosses fingers*

Phoenix - Wow you have already lost 11lbs!! That's awesome congratulations! And 28 more pounds doesn't seem that bad at all! You can do that no problem.

Thanks! It definitely makes the number a lot more attainable.

I LOVE my doctor! I went to the seminar on Saturday and I emailed her at 4 this morning (I know, super early, but I am ready!) And I just received a call from her office that the referral has been sent to the surgeon! Now I just wait to hear from the surgeon.

Edited by Phoenix40

The upper gi last a year but the blood work can only be good for a month. I worded the wrong. Lol. You won't have to do that again.

@@MamaRhea - I am on day 6 of the pre-op liquid diet. So far the diet had not been to bad. I am required to do 4 Protein shakes, 2 Protein Bars (both are bariatric advantage), I can have clear broths, up to three servings of sugar free Jello, and sugar free Popsicles. I also get to have a banana or a cup of skim milk per day. My favorite part of the day is when I eat my banana.

I just did my final appointment with surgeon and nutritionist.....it just got real!!!!!.

I was a little scared and nervous about this journey, but I am glad I made the decision.

Thanks! It makes that number much more attainable which was the reason why I wanted to start on it a little early.

I LOVE my doctor! I went to the seminar on Saturday and I emailed her at 4 this morning (I know, super early, but I am ready!) And I just received a call from her office that the referral has been sent to the surgeon! Now I just wait to hear from the surgeon.

Phoenix - Woow! Your team really moves fast lol! That is just wonderful. It feels so great to finally know for sure that for once, something we are doing about our weight it going to work. Like, really work. And not just for a few months.

The upper gi last a year but the blood work can only be good for a month. I worded the wrong. Lol. You won't have to do that again.

Amurillo - Lol! Well, I am having my bloodwork done this Wednesday right after my Upper GI, so either way! And let me just tell you, I am going to be just a smidge heated if I have to face my biggest fear twice (needles) just because they had me do my bloodwork too early! :blink:

@@MamaRhea - I am on day 6 of the pre-op liquid diet. So far the diet had not been to bad. I am required to do 4 Protein shakes, 2 Protein Bars (both are bariatric advantage), I can have clear broths, up to three servings of sugar free Jello, and sugar free Popsicles. I also get to have a banana or a cup of skim milk per day. My favorite part of the day is when I eat my banana.

I just did my final appointment with surgeon and nutritionist.....it just got real!!!!!.

I was a little scared and nervous about this journey, but I am glad I made the decision.

Oh wow! That doesn't sound too bad at all! For some reason when I think "pre-op liquid diet" I imagine Water, watered down broth, ice chips, and maybe just to shake things up put the ice chip IN the Water. *insert Emeril's BAM here*

Thanks! It makes that number much more attainable which was the reason why I wanted to start on it a little early.

Phoenix - Woow! Your team really moves fast lol! That is just wonderful. It feels so great to finally know for sure that for once, something we are doing about our weight it going to work. Like, really work. And not just for a few months.

Amurillo - Lol! Well, I am having my bloodwork done this Wednesday right after my Upper GI, so either way! And let me just tell you, I am going to be just a smidge heated if I have to face my biggest fear twice (needles) just because they had me do my bloodwork too early! :blink:

Oh wow! That doesn't sound too bad at all! For some reason when I think "pre-op liquid diet" I imagine Water, watered down broth, ice chips, and maybe just to shake things up put the ice chip IN the Water. *insert Emeril's BAM here*

I know how you feel I hate them too but it's for a good cause so you have to do what you have to do lol

YES!!!! I just received a call from the surgeon and I have my consultation
appointment on Wednesday!!! I am so EXCITED!!!

That is great! Congrats.

Thanks. Things are moving so quickly all of a sudden. It's a little freaky..but in a good way.