Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Living Large After WLS

For me, one of the biggest benefits to WLS is the chance to regain my life and do things and go places I haven't had a chance to do for a very long time. In addition, I will eventually get to buy regular-sized clothes.

From buying myself flowers, shopping at the local farmer's market, browsing vintage stores, to traveling, this article has some good ideas about how to save money while "living large": http://time.com/money/4275035/live-large-on-a-small-budget/?xid=frommoney_soc_socialflow_facebook_money

What are some of the ways you have "lived large" after WLS?

Thanks! Can't wait to read it! My final straw to committing to surgery was this- last summer we were touring college campuses with my oldest son. I'd go, but couldn't "tour". Between my rheumatoid and the excess weight I just couldn't walk even a block!

Never again. This fall when we take him to school I plan on walking every inch of his campus!!! ( University of Iowa). And NEXT summer my daughter will do her campus tours and I expect to be with her every step of the way!

I have so many such stories... it started with being able to crawl in and out of the back of my pickup with relative ease... then finding I am actually a pretty strong horse back rider (once I was fit, I could take more advantage of my skills)... then, it evolved to so many things. One that comes to mind sounds trite and unimportant, but it is the expression of my feminism through dress, makeup, nails - stuff I never bothered with before. I was in many ways "asexual" meaning I wore dark clothes and related to the world in a very matter of fact way. Now, I enjoy the outward expression of myself ... enjoy looking my best and a bit of fussing to get there. I only lament that I live in such a casual place - it is hard to find appropriate places to wear some of the clothes that I love. :) It's a nice problem to have.

like CowgirlJane I am more physically able to do things without hesitation.

I crawled up on top of my desk, and stood up, to clean the top of the cabinet yesterday.

Sunday I was chasing my 18 m/o grandson around at the older grandsons birthday party. It was nice to bend over, squat down, sit on the ground and play with him and NOT feel like I would need help to get up, or draw attention to myself.

I have also started wearing a bit more 'girlie' type shirts and more fitted clothing.

Shoes are really getting my attention, although I have not bought any, I am definitely looking. I have never had a big collection of shoes but at 53, I guess the shoe fetish has awakened! ^_^

@@Inner Surfer Girl ... that article is KILLER GOOD! Thank you for posting the link. :)

Once again ... "50 Ways to Live Large on a Small Budget" at:

http://time.com/money/4275035/live-large-on-a-small-budget/?xid=frommoney_soc_socialflow_facebook_money

​@@CowgirlJane, that didn't sound trite at all! I too have felt very "asexual" and feel that some of my family(brother especially) and friends don't even really see me as female. I feel I am left out of conversations that are about feminine things, because they don't really see me that way. I look forward to caring for myself in more feminine ways, like paying extra attention to hair and makeup, having my nails done and wearing certain kinds of clothes that make me feel feminine. I am starting out small doing so now. I totally understand where you are coming from, thank you!

Running races in other cities! Going to concerts and shows! Traveling!

I signed up for a super sprint (length - read very short) triathlon and now a marathon! I am running my first 5K on Saturday. I have walked several 5ks, but this is my first mostly running one. I am also barely into regular sized clothes, although I am only buying exercise clothes at this point. (I need to hit the consignment store or goodwill for anything else.)

pam

Working out at the gym and not feeling like everyone was looking at me. Now I feel like I blend in because I'm not the lone fat person there. I realize this was all my perception/lack of self esteem that made me feel like everyone was staring when they really weren't, but I feel more confident going now and actually <gasp> like the gym!

I live in Texas. We usually have at least 4 to 8 weeks of close to and over 100 degree days. For the past 4 or 5 years, I have felt like each summer would be my last. I just couldn't stand it. It's April and I am not dreading the summer!

Edited by PayItForward

I live in Texas. We usually have at least 4 to 8 weeks of close to and over 100 degree days. For the past 4 or 5 years, I have felt like each summer would be my last. I just couldn't stand it. It's April and I am not dreading the summer!

I relate to every word of the post about the college tour. Pre-surgery, I walked a college tour with my eldest and was dying. It was at the University of Iowa. The makeup was sliding off of my face. Iowa is all hills. I was at least a block and a half behind the rest of the parents, including my husband. It was humiliating.

• Hot flashes (due to obesity) have disappeared. I used to get them CONSTANTLY. Haven't had one since I lost my first 50 pounds.
Hopped up on a high kitchen stool yesterday with no effort to grab a rarely-used pot.Sat cross-legged on a desk in front of my students and discussed a course topic yesterday for 45 minutes - no discomfortI can walk for miles and not have to sit down and rest my poor feet.I can run up and down stairs and not lose my breath.Knee issues have resolved. Disappeared. Happened at the 50-pounds lost markRuptured disc and associated backpain has vanished.I no longer have to lift "stuff" up to wash other "stuff" in the shower. (Seriously ladies, can I get a holla!)I sleep better than I have in years. Deeply, soundly, beautifully.Happier. I am happier.