Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gaining Weight after one year post sleeve! PLEASE HELP!

I to need. Help. Any Ida how to get back on track iced gains. 15 lbs in two years

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

You stomach holds 6-8 oz your First priority is getting enough Protein to sustain you. That's forever. After that you can have veggies and carbs.

8oz of of ice cream is about 280 calories

8oz of cauliflower is about 26 calories (72 calories with a tea spoon of butter)

If you choose cauliflower (or equivalent) all the time you will loose weight if you choose it 90% of the time you will not gain weight.

You lose weight by choosing cauliflower 90% of the time.

I am convinced that even though Diet Coke is considered "sugar free" our bodies don't know that and respond just like you are drinking sugar.

Yup, several studies have shown that artificial sweeteners trick your body's metabolism and makes the body begin to store more fat instead of burn fat, it even causes insulin spikes. One oif the most recent studies (2015) showed that people who drank diet soda had almost triple the abdominal fat compared to those who did not drink diet soda.

food for thought (pun intended hehe).

you may want to search about stomach stretching. it CANT happen. its not physically possible. the elastic part of the stomach is removed during surgery. being able to eat more is just the little bit of relaxing your stomach goes through in healing and accommodating your eating changes, it can never stretch back to normal. its a physical impossibility. Rather than focus on how much your eating look at WHAt your eating. and when. how much do you work out. if you want to do a reset go back and do a liquid only diet for 3 days and start over. You can do this. if you are always hungry, you may need to talk to someone because that sure sounds like head hunger. and this whole program without solving why you ate the way you did, is not a good thing.

Funny ... I just asked this,question at the seminar and doc said it can stretch...hmmmm.

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

I was told the same thing!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

you may want to search about stomach stretching. it CANT happen. its not physically possible. the elastic part of the stomach is removed during surgery. being able to eat more is just the little bit of relaxing your stomach goes through in healing and accommodating your eating changes, it can never stretch back to normal. its a physical impossibility. Rather than focus on how much your eating look at WHAt your eating. and when. how much do you work out. if you want to do a reset go back and do a liquid only diet for 3 days and start over. You can do this. if you are always hungry, you may need to talk to someone because that sure sounds like head hunger. and this whole program without solving why you ate the way you did, is not a good thing.

Funny ... I just asked this,question at the seminar and doc said it can stretch...hmmmm.

VSG revision due to stretching is a thing and surgeons wouldn't offer it if it didn't happen. For example http://www.revisionalsurgery.com/bariatric-revision-surgery/sleeve-revision-surgery/

I notice if i let my Protein drop under 100 grams per day, i start to gain. Keep it over 100 grams, my weight starts to come off....its weird, and sort of a pain to keep my Protein level up that high, but it is what it is

I notice if i let my Protein drop under 100 grams per day, i start to gain. Keep it over 100 grams, my weight starts to come off....its weird, and sort of a pain to keep my Protein level up that high, but it is what it is

I struggle to get my protein to 60 without using Protein shakes. I'm so sick of the taste of them though. How do you manage to get in that much protein and do you have room for anything else? :)

Our NUT told us in a class that the carbonation in soda can expand our sleeve and stretch it out.

Double hmm...why are we being lied to??

I also have a conspiracy theory on the cpap, so I'm probably just suspicious all the way around. Lol

I feel like you do. There's so much differing opinion from centers to surgeons to dietitians that I don't know who to follow. There's too much variation.

Our NUT told us in a class that the carbonation in soda can expand our sleeve and stretch it out.

Double hmm...why are we being lied to??

I also have a conspiracy theory on the cpap, so I'm probably just suspicious all the way around. Lol

I feel like you do. There's so much differing opinion from centers to surgeons to dietitians that I don't know who to follow. There's too much variation.

The sleeve CAN stretch. My surgeon has done re-sleeves on patients whose stomachs have stretched. However it takes a concerted, long running effort. You have to really try really hard-- as in consistently abuse your sleeve-- in order for this to happen.

What likely has happened is that the part of the stomach that is removed that produces Ghrelin-- not enough of it was removed so your hunger signals have come back. This is something you will want to have checked just to make sure. Don't guess.

If you feel like you can eat a ton without feeling any restriction (and by that I mean dense Protein, not slider foods. Can you eat an 8oz yogurt or drink a 12 oz Protein shake with no problem? Can you pack in an entire piece of fish, eat a whole burger patty? Then your sleeve may have stretched) What a lot of people think is "I can eat a whole bag of doritos now, so my stomach is stretched!" Nope. Doritos turn to mush once you chew them up. Slides right out of your stomach, doesn't provide you with any satiety or sustenance and in a short amount of time you're foraging for food again.

Secondly, excess acid production feels a lot like hunger. It's not always that burning feeling. Not to pander or placate but make sure it is not excess acid, either. If you're not on a PPI or have stopped taking it, get back on it.

Lastly, nothing can help you but getting back on track. Kick it back to basics- Protein, produce, lots of Water, move your tush. Give yourself some time to get your act together. You should see those lbs slowly start to come off.

Regain is a natural part of the weight loss journey. DOn't let yourself feel down or depressed about it. Get mad and get that weight back off. You'll feel better once you're working at a new goal.

Carbonation does not stretch the sleeve. It's something docs tell their patients to get them to not drink carbonated beverages like soda but mostly beer. By the time carbonation hits the stomach it is mostly flat. You'd have to stick a nozzle down your throat and pipe carbonation straight into your stomach in order to stretch it with carbonation.

I am convinced that even though Diet Coke is considered "sugar free" our bodies don't know that and respond just like you are drinking sugar.

believe me, it's not just a theory, scientific research has illustrated this lots..body still produces insulin in response to fake sweeteners

Im just about three weeks out and was always hungry and on a PPI. Weight not moving either direction probably bc I walk so much.

Still fighting some psych eating issues for sure

But I talked to Nut again and her advice was to watch calories closer. I thought I was doing a good thing with having my 25 gram Protein powder with 9 gram of Protein fat free milk and 8oz of fage yogurt for another 23 oz of protein for breakfast!; And yes I could drink it all! But she said to much protein at once for the body to handle and a lot of calories si split it or subtract a ingredient

She also put me on five meals a day ..small meals every 2.5-3 hours and said I could add in. Little slow burning carbs or light carbs like Melba toast or wasa crackers, brown rice, quinoa etc

This has made a huge difference in hunger and I'm quickly satisfied. I still think I can eat more then four bites but still get full fast

My big issue is emotionally eating at night when I can't sleep .. that's something I need help with so plan to talk to my therapist about it.

Getting in enough fluids is also hard ..before surgery, I drank Water like a camel....

I walk at tge mall or a store for distraction and flat surface. I walk almost a hour most days. I did strain a stomach muscle so docs said gentle walking..ice gotten alot of energy sense surgery so trying to expend it.

Anyways, I think the stomach can stretch a little but not a lot unless your making super bad choices. Also carbonation and drinking with a straw as well as chewing gum cab put unwanted air, pressure in the stomach..I accidentally drank with a straw tge other day and it was bad..my tummy was distended into the following day. I could be wrong, but this accidental experience makes me believe my surgeon saying the sleeve can stretch

My five or ten cents...

My nut also said to eat 5 to 6 small meals a day, concentrating on Protein first. I did that for the first 5 weeks after surgery and I was steadily losing weight. I went on vacation for 10 days and during that period I did not eat the five to six meals a day. Instead, I would eat Breakfast and dinner. I was staying in a hotel so it was hard to do the 5 to 6 meals a day. When I got back from vacation, even though I did not overeat at all, I had gained 3 pounds. I went back on the five to six meals a day, concentrating on Protein and in 2 days I've lost two and a half of the three pounds I had gained. I'm glad I had this experience because it really showed me that eating the five to six meals a day and concentrating on protein really is a big help with weight loss.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App