Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gaining Weight after one year post sleeve! PLEASE HELP!

Let me start off by saying that I'm always hungry and have been since 3 months out. I am currently one year post op but have been at a stand still for the last 6 months. Now I have gained an additional 10 pounds in 4 weeks. Is there a way to get back on track? I am afraid my stomach has stretched.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

you may want to search about stomach stretching. it CANT happen. its not physically possible. the elastic part of the stomach is removed during surgery. being able to eat more is just the little bit of relaxing your stomach goes through in healing and accommodating your eating changes, it can never stretch back to normal. its a physical impossibility. Rather than focus on how much your eating look at WHAt your eating. and when. how much do you work out. if you want to do a reset go back and do a liquid only diet for 3 days and start over. You can do this. if you are always hungry, you may need to talk to someone because that sure sounds like head hunger. and this whole program without solving why you ate the way you did, is not a good thing.

Thanks for this info! It makes me feel a whole lot better knowing my "new" stomach can't stretch. I seem to have gotten myself back into some bad habits like drinking a small 7.5 oz Coke a day, not getting my Water intake, not exercising like I should and so on. I think I will try a liquid diet for 3 days. Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

It sounds you know what has led to your weight gain.

I recommend that you go back to basics and make an appointment with your NUT.

Embrace the Stall!

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

I'm so glad I'm not the only one.

I lost 100lbs in the first six months. Then have been off and on for the last six months - fell to 177, then Christmas brought me up to 182, then after Christmas fell back to 177 but now back up to 182.

There are things that worry me - the main one is that I can eat more at a sitting, and I feel hungry faster (I don't know how much of this is head hunger but I know I have to figure out a way to get my head around not earing every time I feel hunger).

I've also basically not been exercising, and that needs to change.

I do drink Diet Coke - no calories, but it means I'm not getting as much Water as I need to. My theory with Diet Coke is that it's a calorie free way to have a sweet treat. But I think I need to cut back to weekends.

My other big problem is slider foods. I can eat chocolate, sweets, popcorn and ice cream as if I never had the sleeve. I was able to be very disciplined in the first six months (and the very high weight loss made it easy to stay motivated). What I'm realising is that I am still a binge eater - I might be able to eat less, but the mindset of binge eating is still there.

So I need to get this on track. The good news, for both of us, is that we've realised before we've done too much damage! Some people on here pile back on all the weight they've lost - we haven't (yet), so we have a real opportunity to figure out how to get back on track.

I am also trying a mindfulness approach - there are various online courses, recordings etc that aim to help you change your attitude to eating. I can't vouch for any of these yet, but going to give it a go.

I assume y'all know this, but if not ... the sleeve doesn't restrict slider foods like chocolate, sweets, popcorn and ice cream. Those are the foods found in the Sleeve Handbook in the chapter called: "How to Regain Your Weight Fast." (joke, but not really)

I also assume y'all know this, but if not ... the more sugar you eat, the more you crave it. And the only way you can kill that monster is to cold-turkey sugar.

Here's another tip -- if you go back to eating a high, high, high Protein diet and a low, low, low carb diet and drink at least 64 ounces of Water for a week or so, you will be shocked at how tight your stomach will feel and how little you will crave sugar. In a month or two you can lose the ten pounds you've regained. And you'll also have learned some things you needed to learn about maintenance.

But here's the challenge you will face: To kill the cravings and get your stomach feeling like a sleeve again and get your head back on straight, you have to make these changes in a very disciplined way. No exceptions.

Good luck.

EDIT: I'm not saying that you can't ever eat sweets, but in moderation and only if sugar is not a terrible trigger food for you. Only you will know that.

you may want to search about stomach stretching. it CANT happen. its not physically possible. the elastic part of the stomach is removed during surgery. being able to eat more is just the little bit of relaxing your stomach goes through in healing and accommodating your eating changes, it can never stretch back to normal. its a physical impossibility. Rather than focus on how much your eating look at WHAt your eating. and when. how much do you work out. if you want to do a reset go back and do a liquid only diet for 3 days and start over. You can do this. if you are always hungry, you may need to talk to someone because that sure sounds like head hunger. and this whole program without solving why you ate the way you did, is not a good thing.

Funny ... I just asked this,question at the seminar and doc said it can stretch...hmmmm.

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

I am convinced that even though Diet Coke is considered "sugar free" our bodies don't know that and respond just like you are drinking sugar.

Funny ... I just asked this,question at the seminar and doc said it can stretch...hmmmm.

Our NUT told us in a class that the carbonation in soda can expand our sleeve and stretch it out.

Double hmm...why are we being lied to??

I also have a conspiracy theory on the cpap, so I'm probably just suspicious all the way around. Lol

My doctor told me the same thing. Im very concerned because im starting to think mine is stretched.

Yes, you will be able to eat a more at 1 year postop than you could at 1 month or 3 months. But your stomach can NEVER EVER stretch to the 8-10 cup size it was before surgery. It is impossible....unless your surgeon is incompetent and didn't remove all of the fundus. If you are regaining it is because of the food and beverage choices you are making. I could eat a whole bag of chips and a pint of ice cream and a whole pizza if I had all day to do it. That doesn't mean my sleeve stretched, it just means I'm making really crappy decisions.

WLS is a gift and a chance for a "do over". It's a shame if you squander it on poor choices and try to blame your sleeve. If you don't change the behaviors that made you fat in the first place, you will end up fat again.

I've had my surger back in April 2015. I've lost around 106 pounds and for some time I've been asking myself the same question about if my stomach could have stretched, because I'm hungry all the time and I feel like I can eat a lot much more than before when I was just postop. I've not gained any weight because i've been making tons of excersice but it is very stressfull to keep watching my weight.

I was also told by my doctor that if drink carbonated drinks that can expand the sleeve.

I would also like to know how to reset the band if possible.

Thanks

I've had my surger back in April 2015. I've lost around 106 pounds and for some time I've been asking myself the same question about if my stomach could have stretched, because I'm hungry all the time and I feel like I can eat a lot much more than before when I was just postop. I've not gained any weight because i've been making tons of excersice but it is very stressfull to keep watching my weight.

I was also told by my doctor that if drink carbonated drinks that can expand the sleeve.

I would also like to know how to reset the band if possible.

Thanks

????????????????

@@Dub

I like your saying ".......only control is what we put in our mouths...." and I'll add for me "what comes out of my mouth" I'm always wishing I thought about what I said. Both ways are my choices

You are doing fabulous and an inspiration.

As for this topic....my Doc said sleeve can stretch some.