Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

does anyone know of a stateside rny surgery costing less than 32000.00

the bluelz,

Thanks so much for responding back! April 5th! How exciting! How long ago did you first start your journey?

Can I pick your brain a little more please?

Was the heart scan at the hospital a normal part of the pre-op or did they find something they wanted to get a closer look at? The EGD is where they go in through the nose and look down your throat right? I am kinda terrified of that one. Can you describe the experience? Questions, questions, so many questions!!!

Sent from my LG-E980 using the BariatricPal App

Jen at Dr Weiner was awsome and they seem to have this long distance thing worked out with skyped office calls, even discounted hotel rates in place. Is his office far from hospital and airport? Dr Rollins in Arkansas is less money, they are checking to see how to combine everything into one flight out as they had not done so before.

@@pegrae you're thinking about coming to my state for surgery! :)

Too bad I'm 3 1/3 hrs north of there. Good Luck on your decision!

Dr. Patel in San Antonio, Tx is 18000. I'm doing cash price because insurance wouldn't cover. However, they found a hiatal hernia and some other things on my EGD study so insurance should cover half or more.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

the bluelz,

Thanks so much for responding back! April 5th! How exciting! How long ago did you first start your journey?

Can I pick your brain a little more please?

Was the heart scan at the hospital a normal part of the pre-op or did they find something they wanted to get a closer look at? The EGD is where they go in through the nose and look down your throat right? I am kinda terrified of that one. Can you describe the experience? Questions, questions, so many questions!!!

I started the beginning of January and had my surgery scheduled about 2.5 weeks ago. My insurance only required 3 visits.

I can't remember detail on the scan...it may have just been a chest xray. It wasn't an MRI or anything like that. I assume everyone has to get one because I saw several people there that had been at Dr. Rollers office. The EGD was awful, but they did it in the office with no anesthsia, just some numbing spray. It literally felt like a small straw going down your throat and you have to swallow to help get it down. I gag very easily, so I almost barfed...but it was over very quickly and it didn't hurt. Be prepared to spend hours there, they do everything that first day including bloodwork, meet with Dr. Kristen, and the NUT. After the first visit I had my follow up appointments in Fort Smith since that is closer to me. Everyone is very professional and I feel really good about chosing them.

the bluelz,

I also have a pretty big gag reflex, something of a phobia against vomiting (I have not thrown up in 15 yrs) and claustephobia that extends to fear of smothering which is why I have been so worried about this part. Lord I just read that back and realized what a mess I have gotten myself into LOL! I appreciate your feed back. I want to go into this with eyes wide open. I don't need any surprises where this is concerned or I may lose my cool LOL. How was your appointment today? Who will your surgeon be?

Holy cow! That's how they did your EGD? For mine, they gave me a twilight anesthetic (the Michael Jackson drug). You feel great for about 30 seconds, then fall asleep. Wake up feeling great and out of the hospital 30 min later. Sorry you had to do it that way.

the bluelz,

I also have a pretty big gag reflex, something of a phobia against vomiting (I have not thrown up in 15 yrs) and claustephobia that extends to fear of smothering which is why I have been so worried about this part. Lord I just read that back and realized what a mess I have gotten myself into LOL! I appreciate your feed back. I want to go into this with eyes wide open. I don't need any surprises where this is concerned or I may lose my cool LOL. How was your appointment today? Who will your surgeon be?

It went good! Had my final bloodwork and met with Dr. Josh Roller, who will be doing my surgery. Then had to do the consent forms in a group session, which took some time. Everything is set for Tuesday!

And you'll do fine with the EGD. It literally took one minute. I was sitting in a chair in a darkened room so I had some freedom of movement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using the BariatricPal App

Holy cow! That's how they did your EGD? For mine, they gave me a twilight anesthetic (the Michael Jackson drug). You feel great for about 30 seconds, then fall asleep. Wake up feeling great and out of the hospital 30 min later. Sorry you had to do it that way.

It wasn't too horrible. They gave me a nose spray that numbed my nose and stuck the tube down my nose and throat. Felt weird. If not for my gag reflex it wouldn't have been so bad. I hate IVs, so this was still a win for me.

the buelz,

You got Roller! Good for you! I am sure they are all excellent but still, getting the "boss" must make you feel pretty confident. They have really been getting the ball rolling for you, huh. I wish you the best. Hope you don't mind me checking in later with you for an update. Thank you for all your kindness. Oh yeah, how has the liquid diet been going for you? Has it been harder or easier than you thought?

the buelz,

You got Roller! Good for you! I am sure they are all excellent but still, getting the "boss" must make you feel pretty confident. They have really been getting the ball rolling for you, huh. I wish you the best. Hope you don't mind me checking in later with you for an update. Thank you for all your kindness. Oh yeah, how has the liquid diet been going for you? Has it been harder or easier than you thought?

I've stumbled some, but it's generally been a little easier than I thought it would be. I cut carbs several weeks ago, so that has helped drastically!

FYI

Dr Weiner in Michigan also has youtube videos that are excellent to watch.

RR, I'm covered by my insurance, so no self-pay. That's awesome that they cover the pre-op stuff for you! Dr. Roller required a stress test, pulmonary testing, EKG, EGD, bloodwork, and a few other things. I wasn't required to do a sleep study. They did all that on my first appointment since their office is set up for everything. I did have to go to the hospital to get some sort of heart scan, but they got me in and out the same day as my appointment. I'm not sure about additional out of pockets, but you'll probably have visits with the NUT, so maybe some copays? I bought a bunch of Protein samples from them and they have a package of vitamins/protein for after surgery as an option too. I've got my pre-op and last appointment today and surgery on 4/5, so I've not seen final costs yet.

Hi thebuelz :)

I know today was surgery day and just wanted to let you know I was thinking of you.

I hope all went well and you are one of the lucky ones that experience minimal discomfort. Take care.

HealthEast and Park Nicollet in Minneapolis-St Paul are both around $19k