Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

“Fast food” doesn’t really come to mind when you think “healthy” and “weight loss,” but sometimes you just don’t have a choice. The good news is that there’s almost always something you can find that’s high Protein and low calorie. The bad news is that sometimes that’s not what you order, especially if you get flustered. It’s easy to think you’re ordering well only to realize that Caesar salad you ordered had over 1,000 calories.

In general, I usually look for a side salad with some sort of light dressing, and see if there’s some way I can get grilled chicken either as part of a sandwich or on its own. Some places have fruit or carrots now, too, so I’m usually pretty confident when ordering.

I like Subway salads, either with cheese or grilled chicken breast, and with one of their light dressings. McDonald’s is always a pleasant surprise because they have such a bad reputation but have a lot of good options, from egg white McMuffins to salads and apple slices to grilled chicken choices. Taco Bell Power Bowls can be good, too, as long as you skip the chips and sour cream.

So, just to help each other out, what are some of your fast food faves? What do you get at the major chains like McDonald’s and Taco Bell? Where do you head when you’re at the mall food court with your friends or family? What’s on your menu on travel days when your only food sources are the airport restaurants and convenience stores?

Sometimes I have to make road trips 100 - 200 miles from home each way. So in those instances I stick with fast food that I know -- and that's very often McDonalds:

Egg McMuffin with egg, cheese, Canadian bacon - 300 calories

Breakfast burrito - also 300 calories

Cheeseburger - also 300 calories

Each of those items has enough Protein to satiate me and get me through to the next mealtime.

On those trips I always carry bottles of diet iced tea and Water in the car.

Chik fil a grilled nuggets 4 carbs and 24 grams of Protein. 8 piece regular nuggets 10 carbs and 24 grams of protein.

Not that it is on the menu, but you can order individual items from McDonald's like egg white etc.

I am a burger fanatic and for years I have been eating them without the bun. No offense, to McDonald's but I don't eat their burgers. However there are other places such as Hardees, Carl Jr.'s, and depending on location Wendy's which will offer the burgers in a lettuce wrap.

Wendy's chili!

Chick fil a grilled chicken breast, without the bun. I can only eat about 1/4 of it.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I love to order the Charbroiled chicken Breast from Hardee's/Carl's Jr. or a burger and take the bun off.

Captain D's has a grilled menu and for those very early out you can order a single grilled shrimp skewer.

If you have time to go in and order takeout, Five Guys or M-Shack have the best burgers. I LOVE the Crossfit Burger from M-Shack but I can only eat 1/2 so I always have leftovers. I can eat a whole Small Burger from Five Guys without the bun.

Chill fil a GRILLED nuggets. Best bariatric friendly fast food available!

I travel several times a month on business, these are my "go to" items:

Carl's Jr- BBQ chicken sandwich on a lettuce wrap

Starbucks- egg white, spinach feta wrap or a skinny cinnamon dolce steamer

Chik-fil-a- kids 4 or 6 piece grilled nugget meal with a fruit cup and milk

McDonalds- 4 or 6 nugget Happy Meal with apple slices and milk or egg McMuffin with egg whites and muffin only

Chipotle- grilled chicken taco, no cheese or sour cream add extra lettuce and salsa (a perfect WLS sized salad)

Taco Bell- Fresca style chicken soft taco

El Pollo Loco- under 500 double chicken salad or chicken Soup

KFC- BBQ chicken sandwich and I ditch half the bun

@@Babbs be careful with Wendy's chili. Knew someone who worked there and she told me it is made with their hamburger patties chopped with lots of ketchup, mustard, and some sugar mixed in. Ketchup is so full of sugar! Sent from my SM-G925V using the BariatricPal App

That's interesting to know. I've been eating it since my surgery 19 months ago, but now I may have to skip it from now on. Thanks for the tip!

@@Babbs here's what Calorie King says about your chili: http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-sides-chili-large_f-ZmlkPTE4NjE1Mg.html

8 gm of sugars, can't be that much ketchup, then.

Edited by 2goldengirl

Regular popcorn chicken

Regular Potato and gravy

Regular Coleslaw

All from KFC...

I have that one Sunday per month and it does me lunch and dinner...

Yes, it's s**t...

No, I don't care...