Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Emotional Effects of Surgery

I'm just wondering if anybody else who had the sleeve surgery ever experienced sadness after their surgery? I had surgery a little over a month ago and my hormones or something just feel out of whack. I have no reason to be sad yet I find myself incredibly tired and sad at times for no reason. Sometimes I think it's because I'm going through this alone, but i wasnt feeling this way a week ago. I'm just wondering if anybody else experienced lows and how long b4 it passed ?

Research has shown that the hormones stored in fat are released at a massive rate as you lose your weight...

This means that you're being flooded with all sorts of emotional carry-on at the moment...

There are threads in here somewhere that focus on this...

In short, what's happening to you is perfectly normal..

You've just gotta see your way thru it as best you can...

Do what you need to do, but, as you'll read in those threads, don't make ANY major life decisions in the next six moths or so..

Your thinking may well be overly influenced by your screwed up emotional imbalance...

yes it happens, it will get better but even after 2 years after surgery sometimes depending on situations you may encounter it from time to time.. at the beginning it was much more... but its ok! you will get better!

Hey Angie, you are tired because your body has been through a heck of a shock with surgery. Your mind has had to change its habits. You no longer have your emotional crutch, if you were an emotional eater. You had pre op stress about whether to have the surgery, how to finance it, family stress etc. No wonder you are tired and i bet you have continued on your life while all of this was going on? Still working, paying bills, meeting responsibilities, it is a really big thing. Rest every chance you get and give yourself a chance. Indulge yourself with a facial or massage or walk on the beach or through the trees. I cant comment on the hormones as i have a week to go but i did read about it. Would meditation help you? Be kind to yourself, you deserve it.

Thank u all so much, I'm going to see if I can find a little bit more reading on it. I don't think I was prepared for this part lol. Now I see why they give u these psych evals!! It's stressful mentally and physically. I don't regret it though, I suppose I just need to find new habits and coping mechanisms

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using the BariatricPal App

It is perfectly normal to experience erratic emotions soon after surgery.

One book I recommend is by Connie Stapleton called "Eat it Up!". She also has a website.

One of the challenges with weight loss and moods and emotions is that many of us are in the habit of using food to stabilize those moods. We don't quite know what to do once we can't use food for that purpose oftentimes.

A good therapist or counselor can help. So can attending a support group such as your hospital's bariatric support group and/or a 12-step recovery group like OA (OA.org).

Your body is going through hormonal changes.

You may have some emotional bruises or scars due to your obesity that maybe talking to a professional could help you to deal with.

You are not alone feeling that way. The weight loss journey is not only a physical one, it is a mental one too; you will be stronger for this.

Hey, Angie hang in there I've been through this emotional rollercoaster you're going through about two years ago and since I've had to be revised I'm experiencing the same issues all over again and I believe it's worst this time around but I'm determined to get through it and you will too... Good luck

Thank u all. the message boards really help especially talking to others who have gone thru it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Hi Angie, I went through the same thing you are. It comes and goes. I think I started to feel better when I read on these board that what I was feeling wasn't just me, that I was normal and everything I was feeling was normal. I have had surgery before, but I think this was the most shocking to my body. Hang in there!!

Hello. Sorry to hear you are going through this. I am 8 months out and still struggle sometimes. It comes and goes. I think part of mine stems from the fact I used to use food as a comfort for my problems and now I cannot. Going to support group and counseling has helped me through it. Stay strong!

I had surgery on March 8th and it's really been hard for me the last week. I feel very depressed and down,l- I just don't feel like myself. My mind says it's normal and will pass, my heart and body just want to lay around and cry. So, yes! I've been experiencing this. I go see my normal Dr. next week and plan on talking to her about it. I hope you feel better soon, I sure know how it feels.

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App