Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

undesired additional stomach pouch shrinking after gastric sleeve

I tried to find a topic about: "undesired additional stomach pouch shrinkage after gastric sleeve surgery."

Every forum talks about shrinking stomach after stretching it, BUT I want to know if a person doesn't eat enough can additional stomach shrinkage happen post VGS operation.

I have no hunger nor appetite and I should be progressed (at this point to pureed foods) but I am still drinking two bottles of Isopure with 40 mgs of whey Protein, Vitamins, and 2 gallons of Water with small amount of Chrystal Light for flavor. I do not want my stomach to become additionally smaller.

I am hiding this from my surgeon's follow up appointments.

Does anybody have/had this problem?

Thanks for any responses.

Why are you hiding ANYTHING from your surgeon???

I just do not understand why you would hide information about an issue that you have concerns about?

How is she/he supposed to help you if you don't give she/he the information that is needed for that help to happen?

Call your bariatric team's office and get the resolution to your issue.

You trusted these people with your life, remember?

Do call your surgical team please. You dont want to become malnourished.

That's an incredible amount of Fluid. Seriously, 256 oz of Water? I don't think that's even possible but sure would explain lack of room for food. By gallon, do you mean liters? (2L = 64oz)

You should call your surgeons office and tell them what's going on.

I am confused as to what you are saying?

You had wls to lose weight.

You are going to lose weight.

Your skin will rebound and change in size as you change in size. It's a good and natural process. Many factors as to how much the skin will rebound. Lose the weight.....burn that shyt off......then evaluate the skin.....if it there is excess that doesn't rebound as much as you'd like.....schedule an appointment with a plastic surgeon and get that addressed.

Lose the weight and stay in contact with your bariatric surgeon.

Don't be a dumb azz and try to work around your wls or your program's guidelines.

Your skin will rebound and change in size as you change in size. It's a good and natural process. Many factors as to how much the skin will rebound. Lose the weight.....burn that shyt off......then evaluate the skin.....if it there is excess that doesn't rebound as much as you'd like.....schedule an appointment with a plastic surgeon and get that addressed.

Don't be a dumb azz and try to work around your wls or your program's guidelines.

I am talking about the stomach (organ) not the exterior (waistline).

To answer the other question re: 2 gallons of Water, yes I mix Chrystal Light in a half a gallon of Water and carry it with me and have 4 of them a day = 2 gallons. But I've always been this way, even before I went on methyprednisone for 3.5 years which caused the weight gain to begin with.

Please, I am just looking for input and not criticism. I suppose I feel I must hide this from my surgeon because I do not want to be a "bad patient." I do now see the flaws in my hiding this from my surgeon.

I am good at asking for help and honestly taking seriously advise especially when there is a general consensus answer.

Thank you for the nonjudgmental responses.

To answer the other question re: 2 gallons of Water, yes I mix Chrystal Light in a half a gallon of Water and carry it with me and have 4 of them a day = 2 gallons. But I've always been this way, even before I went on methyprednisone for 3.5 years which caused the weight gain to begin with.

Please, I am just looking for input and not criticism. I suppose I feel I must hide this from my surgeon because I do not want to be a "bad patient." I do now see the flaws in my hiding this from my surgeon.

I am good at asking for help and honestly taking seriously advise especially when there is a general consensus answer.

No judgment......just was confused by your initial post.

Hiding anything from your surgeon is a red flag and will get called out on here. Glad to know what you mean, now.

I don't see the problem with sipping tons of water throughout each day....so long as it's not around meal times. I've been encouraged to do so. Crystal Light was always supported by my surgeon, too.

I am so sorry for not understanding. What is it you felt like hiding? I am glad you plan to talk to your bariatric practice about everything because I failed with the lap band pre sleeve and one of my"failure factors" was shame and hiding when things didn't go well. I have been successful with sleeve and one of the things I do is view myself as a patient who has "hired" a bariatric practice to help me control obesity. If I run into a problem, I don't hesitate to call or visit them, even ,4 years out,because I am their patient/client and their expertise can help me! I don't need to be perfect for them, they need to be perfect for me. That is a huge shift from my previous, shame based way of looking at obesity.

It's normal and desirable that you have no appetite at this stage. I have never heard of additional stomach shrinking. Good you are taking Vitamins etc. I suggest following your food and Vitamin schedule like taking your medicines..You are doing it for health not because you are hungry. This is the chance to change your relationship with food!

I know you mention you have been drinking 2 gallons of Water a day for awhile but that is shocking to most of us because th a that is 4X as much as most of us struggle to consume. I would bring this up to surgeon because I wonder if that will prevent you from having enough"room" to consume adequate nutrients. I also wonder if it can create an electrolyte imbalance. Remember as a sleever you are consuming so much less, I wonder if that much Water is too much.

However, sounds to me like you are doing great and will find much success!

Sent from my KFJWI using the BariatricPal App

I don't hear criticism, I hear concern.

CALL YOUR SURGEON.

Do you have a counselor or therapist? If not, see if the person who did your psych clearance can see you or refer you to someone.

Have you talked to your NUT about your concerns?

It actually is possible to drink too much Water and in your case, I suspect that is true. You aren't getting enough nutrition to be flushing out your system like that. You must be drinking constantly in order to achieve that kind of intake. How will you ever have room for food?? Of course you're not hungry. Try sipping about 64 oz of Water throughout the day instead, only between meals, and leave those 30-60 minutes between food and drink.

Edited by Shaydi.Laine

I tried to find a topic about: "undesired additional stomach pouch shrinkage after gastric sleeve surgery."

Every forum talks about shrinking stomach after stretching it, BUT I want to know if a person doesn't eat enough can additional stomach shrinkage happen post VGS operation.

I have no hunger nor appetite and I should be progressed (at this point to pureed foods) but I am still drinking two bottles of Isopure with 40 mgs of whey Protein, Vitamins, and 2 gallons of Water with small amount of Chrystal Light for flavor. I do not want my stomach to become additionally smaller.

I am hiding this from my surgeon's follow up appointments.

Does anybody have/had this problem?

Thanks for any responses.

Whether or not you are hungry or have an appetite should not play a role in whether or not you eat. I ate because my body needed the nutrition and I didn't want to screw up my metabolism by restricting calories for any extended period of time. Every bite I took was a chore for the first 4 months and if I had waited to eat until I had an appetite I wouldn't have eaten for at least 6-8 months.

You should follow your surgeon's meal plan like any other prescription. You took your methylprednisolone as prescribed and you should now be eating/drinking as prescribed. And like cowgirljane mentioned, consuming huge quantities of Water without adequate nutrient and electrolytes can certainly cause problems. You definitely need to share your concerns and what you are eating/drinking with your surgeon and nut. You are only harming yourself by not doing do.

I am so sorry for not understanding. What is it you felt like hiding? I am glad you plan to talk to your bariatric practice about everything because I failed with the lap band pre sleeve and one of my"failure factors" was shame and hiding when things didn't go well. I have been successful with sleeve and one of the things I do is view myself as a patient who has "hired" a bariatric practice to help me control obesity. If I run into a problem, I don't hesitate to call or visit them, even ,4 years out,because I am their patient/client and their expertise can help me! I don't need to be perfect for them, they need to be perfect for me. That is a huge shift from my previous, shame based way of looking at obesity.

It's normal and desirable that you have no appetite at this stage. I have never heard of additional stomach shrinking. Good you are taking Vitamins etc. I suggest following your food and Vitamin schedule like taking your medicines..You are doing it for health not because you are hungry. This is the chance to change your relationship with food!

I know you mention you have been drinking 2 gallons of Water a day for awhile but that is shocking to most of us because th a that is 4X as much as most of us struggle to consume. I would bring this up to surgeon because I wonder if that will prevent you from having enough"room" to consume adequate nutrients. I also wonder if it can create an electrolyte imbalance. Remember as a sleever you are consuming so much less, I wonder if that much Water is too much.

However, sounds to me like you are doing great and will find much success!

Sent from my KFJWI using the BariatricPal App

Thank you for this response! It was kind yet remained strong in reinforcing what is the correct thing I should do. What am I going to do? I am just going to be honest and tell the truth. I have withheld what is happening in my post op life because I do feel shame in not being the "good patient."

The simplest yet most effective thing is the truth. Why do we always seek to avoid that route?

He told me 80% of my stomach was removed. Having an un-textbook response and complications should not fill me with shame! I felt shame gaining the weight and maybe it has become my default setting in my mental process.

To answer other statements/questions re: therapist. Yes! I am in therapy with an empathetic yet intelligent therapist. She is kind in allowing me to talk about what I am subjectively experiencing yet is insistent in telling me when my thinking is, for a lack of a better term, faulty.

Before this becomes it's own medical problem, I plan to call my surgeon's office Monday morning and speak with the nurse who works with the surgeon.

Thank you everybody for your input. I will work through and try to overcome shame and just be honest.

Sounds like a good plan.

Remember this: Many thousands (hundreds of thousands) of people have had sleeve surgery. And many, many of them have reached their goals and maintained their weight loss.

WLS complications are not typical -- but UNUSUAL.

And to answer your original question -- no, your stomach won't shrink beyond what it was immediately post-op. In fact, your stomach is astonishingly smaller now than it will ever be again -- just a sliver of things can get through it (Water doesn't count -- it and other liquids just slide on through, not challenging your tiny, swollen, inflamed, newly operated on sleeve at all).

Over the next six months your sleeve will heal. As it heals, the swelling and inflammation will subside, and you'll be able to eat a lot more than you can now -- as you SHOULD.

FYI, I'm 70 years old, have lost 100 pounds, now weigh 135 pounds and can eat at least 1,800 calories/day and not gain weight. It's amazingly liberating. Astonishingly so!

Focus on the positives and the bright future, as much as you can. Your thoughts will shape your emotions and both will shape your behaviors. :)