Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Difference Between Lap Band and Gastric Sleeve

I currently have a lap band and am considering revision to either Gastric Bypass or Sleeve. I like the idea of the sleeve - no equipment left inside me and no unused stomach just hanging out doing nothing (hopefully). It just sounds cleaner. But I am a lap band "failure" (I fully admit it). I don't want to add sleeve "failure" to my resume. Both lap band and sleeve are restrictive. How does the sleeve work differently than the lap band? It certainly seems to be more effective from what I read but other than the actual surgery and removal of part of the stomach, I can't figure out how the two are different.

I am scheduled for a WLS seminar on 16 April. It should cover both Gastric Bypass and Sleeve. But I'd like to have a good clue before the seminar. The last WLS seminar I went to was for the lap band and wow did it differ from the reality.

Because 80% of the stomach is removed in gastric sleeve there is a huge reduction in the hunger hormone called ghrelin which is produced in the stomach. As a result, you won't be hungry for a very long time, talking like 6-8 months. This also coincides with the honeymoon phase of the surgery where you will quickly lose a large portion of the weight. However, this is not permanent. Eventually your hunger will return and your weight loss will slow and eventually stop. So it's very important to try to lose as much weight as possible during the first year or so.

Since the lap band does not remove any portion of the stomach your ghrelin levels remain the same. As such, the average weight loss for the lap band is the lowest among the various bariatric surgeries available. The lap band also has the potential for more complications than the sleeve does.

im going on year 7 with my band. Knock wood i have had no problems. But if for some reason i would have to have it removed.... and i have thought long and hard about this... I think i would do the GB. Not that there is anything wrong with Sleeve. I just think i would do better with the GB. My friend and mentor Paula had the band done a year before me and had great success. But she is a heavy soda drinker and smoker (don't know if that had anything to do with it) but developed problems and was sleeved about this time last year. She loves the sleeve. She has had no issues at all that i know of. Her wife Maia had her band done the same day and me by the same dr. and has done great, but is thinking of removing it and getting sleeved also. For me, i hoping that the Band Gods keep smiling on me. Weight loss is still at 85-87lbs... depending on how much alcohol i drink over the weekend... lol.. Couple note: Im never hungry, sometimes is late in the evening and i think... Damn i didn't eat today. Sometimes i do forget and eat too fast and have to uneat food... but, that's my fault.

I would have a serious talk with the dr..... discuss why the band and you didn't get along. Im sure he/she will point you in the right direction.

Good luck

unless you eat horrible food all the time, it's really hard to fail with the sleeve. From what I've been old the lapband is very prone to failure, my surgeon doesn't even like to suggest them

im going on year 7 with my band. Knock wood i have had no problems. But if for some reason i would have to have it removed.... and i have thought long and hard about this... I think i would do the GB. Not that there is anything wrong with Sleeve. I just think i would do better with the GB. My friend and mentor Paula had the band done a year before me and had great success. But she is a heavy soda drinker and smoker (don't know if that had anything to do with it) but developed problems and was sleeved about this time last year. She loves the sleeve. She has had no issues at all that i know of. Her wife Maia had her band done the same day and me by the same dr. and has done great, but is thinking of removing it and getting sleeved also. For me, i hoping that the Band Gods keep smiling on me. Weight loss is still at 85-87lbs... depending on how much alcohol i drink over the weekend... lol.. Couple note: Im never hungry, sometimes is late in the evening and i think... Damn i didn't eat today. Sometimes i do forget and eat too fast and have to uneat food... but, that's my fault.

I would have a serious talk with the dr..... discuss why the band and you didn't get along. Im sure he/she will point you in the right direction.

Good luck

Funny how different the band is for everyone. I guess I have technically not had any real issues with my band (slipping, gerd, etc.) but I never did experience a lessening of hunger. I was hungry just a few hours after surgery, actually. Sometimes I think I'm even hungrier with the band but I don't know how true that actually is.

unless you eat horrible food all the time, it's really hard to fail with the sleeve. From what I've been old the lapband is very prone to failure, my surgeon doesn't even like to suggest them

I've heard they are prone to failure before. Did your doc mean the equipment itself breaks or the band doesn't do as promised?

I've heard they are prone to failure before. Did your doc mean the equipment itself breaks or the band doesn't do as promised?

I've heard both, they are prone to slipping and people have said it's easier to eat around it

I was not successful with the band but have done well since revising to the sleeve in 2011.

I do not agree with the implications that "you can't fail " with the sleeve. Yes you can, you can fail with any WLS.

For many of us the sleeve is more effective and less "fussy" in terms of getting it just right. I was one of those banded people who still had hunger but experienced pain when eating dense Protein. Sleeve has felt alot more normal...just a smaller tummy.

My feeling is that the sleeve and bypass are effective procedures, each with pros and cons. Education on what to expect with each, and your own situation is the way to make the decision!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using the BariatricPal App