Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Total weight loss confusion...

So where to begin, I'm 20 years old, and am 5'4". My weight when starting this process was 284 pounds. At my last weigh in with the nutritionist I was 262. When I met with my psychologist this week she informed me that the total weight I could lose with the sleeve was 70 pounds. That it is the average and thats all I can ever lose. I told her I felt that was untrue if i work hard to lose the 124 pounds I want to lose. (I've already lost 20 presurgery). She was very adamant that there's no possible way I'll lose everything I want. I'm extremely concerned now. I've never heard his before and from everyone I've seen and talked to who's had the surgery seems to have lost way more then that...its scaring me into wanting the bypass which I was very against...I felt super confident with my decision before this appointment and am now so torn. To trust my gut and the wonderful people I've come to see lose 100s of pounds with the sleeve or trust the medical doctor whose seen hundreds of patients....input & thoughts anyone...

Oh and I met with my NUT right before this appointment and she told me I should be able to lose 107 pounds by 9 months out ! &the psychologists told me she was using my high weight and not the 262, so she was wrong...ugh ????

So where to begin, I'm 20 years old, and am 5'4". My weight when starting this process was 284 pounds. At my last weigh in with the nutritionist I was 262. When I met with my psychologist this week she informed me that the total weight I could lose with the sleeve was 70 pounds. That it is the average and thats all I can ever lose. I told her I felt that was untrue if i work hard to lose the 124 pounds I want to lose. (I've already lost 20 presurgery). She was very adamant that there's no possible way I'll lose everything I want. I'm extremely concerned now. I've never heard his before and from everyone I've seen and talked to who's had the surgery seems to have lost way more then that...its scaring me into wanting the bypass which I was very against...I felt super confident with my decision before this appointment and am now so torn. To trust my gut and the wonderful people I've come to see lose 100s of pounds with the sleeve or trust the medical doctor whose seen hundreds of patients....input & thoughts anyone...

Oh and I met with my NUT right before this appointment and she told me I should be able to lose 107 pounds by 9 months out ! &the psychologists told me she was using my high weight and not the 262, so she was wrong...ugh

The psychologist sounds at the very least mistaken, but I would say she is nuts.

She does not have a crystal ball does she?

From everything I have learned, read, etc., expected weight loss is based on averages derived from one or two specific studies. They aren't rules, but guidelines.

Many, many people lose much more than the average projected loss, just as some people don't do as well as projected.

Almost all of this is based on things you control, like following your post-op program and using every tool available to you. It sounds like you need to find a different psychologist going forward, though. Based on this I don't think she would be very helpful in the long term.

Your NUT sounds much more sensible.

That's what I thought...I'm going through a hospital where you don't get s choice. Every doctor, surgeon, nut, and psych is assigned to you. Everyone else I've seen has been absolutely wonderful. there were two psychologist for me, the actual psych had a fellow who did the entire visit while the psych listened & agreed. I appreciate the feedback! What you said is on point with everything I've heard and read. Just confusing when the psychs I seen only see bariatric patients. Too much mixed info...

@@haleymarie A psychologist isn't a medical doctor and should be advising your about your weight loss and what you can expect. It is pretty unethical in my opinion. A masters degree or a Doctorate of Science does not make you a MD. Next to you see her tell her that, and hopefully find someone else to see.

The psychologist is probably using the excess weight chart estimate. http://www.obesitycoverage.com/weight-loss-surgeries/gastric-bypass/how-much-can-i-expect-to-lose Something like that.

The thing is, you can lose whatever you want to lose. If you decide you want to keep losing and you make it a serious goal for yourself. You will probably lose 70 or 80lbs just follwing the program in 6 months with little effort, then after that is going to require more work, possibly. You are really young so I think the weight will come off pretty easy, if you can resist alcohol.

The next time the psychologist offers you medical advice, tell her you are going to report her ass. :angry:

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

Thanks! I felt it was really strange cause they were dead set on it. I started arguing with her and they told me there were no ifs ands or buts to it pretty much. I had my mom with me and even she argued with them, and they basically said I couldn't get cleared by them if I didn't understand. Totally crazy. I know in my heart I'll do anything to lose the 124 pounds. But then telling me it was for sure impossible scared me!

They are wrong, just go along with what they want, so you can get cleared for surgery but after you have surgery, report that psychologist to the state board. I am not even joking. She is not qualified to give out medical advice.

It sounds like the psych is telling you more about them than you - that this is what you can expect from their program. Many of these WLS programs are geared for 50-60% excess weight loss as their goal (it's a lot easier to be "successful" with moderate goals,) while other programs push for 100% EWL. Some do get down to normal-ish weights with these moderate programs by exceeding their recommendations - many of these programs target 1200-1500 calories per day during their losing phase - and the psych is telling you their results - while the more aggressive programs target 6-800 calories per day - overkill for some, but necessary for many/most to achieve the more challenging goal. The docs in these moderate programs are often "amazed" at how well these patients did (by ignoring their advice.)

@@haleymarie

50-60% average percentage weight loss.This is the cookie cutter answer given to most patients. Seems like she was uncomfortable to state anything out of that cookie cutter answer. (Kind of made an ass out of herself) Look around at the stats of patients on Bariatricpal. ( I'm down exactly 124..lol ) I know this process of insurance, choosing type of surgery and working with a medical team can be frustrating. You will get conflicting information at times...Do your research. Find whats best for you. :)

Jenn

I am getting ready for surgery soon and I have never heard a set limit you can lose. The end result is yours and how committed you are to your new lifestyle. The psychologist should never be discouraging you like that. Follow what the nutritionist and the Dr tells you and you will do great! Stay positive and best of luck to you!!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thanks everyone! You've made me feel much better. Everything you are saying is what I have heard as well. I'm really hoping and planning to lose it all. (:

I completely agree with everyone who has posted and completely disagree with the psychologist. I've lost 130lbs which equals 97% of my excess weight. I will lose the last few pounds to get to 100% excess weight lost. Even if I don't, I'm thrilled with what I've accomplished. Your total weight loss is ENTIRELY dependent on you and how you work your program. If you watch your calories, stick to high Protein, nutritious food, there's no reason why your loss should top out at 70 lbs. Put in the effort and you can lose as much as you want. Good luck!

The sleeve is a tool that you're going to use to lose as much weight as you're willing to work for. There is no magical formula inside of the sleeve that says you're only going to lose 70 pounds. That's ridiculous and I'm personally upset that was said by a "professional." The game doesn't change... Weight loss is still going to be about eating less than you burn.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Very not true, most have us have lost a lot in the first 4-7 months everyone is different but like everyone has said you have to do the work. That being said no one knows how much you will lose that is entirely up to you. Not the sleeve or any doctor. It's on you and your determination .. I believe anyone with the sleeve can be successful .. It's hard at times but not impossible

Jeez, I'm 19 months post-op. I started out at 235 pounds and now weigh 135 pounds. I'm 5'5". And I'm 70 years old now. I've maintained my weight for a year now.

How in the world did I do that?!

(What freakin' idiots!)

Admittedly, not everyone who has WLS loses all their excess weight. And most people do not maintain all their weight loss. Many (not all!) patients regain 10-20 pounds during the 2nd, 3rd, 4th years or later. And some regain more than that. Some patients (I don't know what proportion) regain all the weight they lost.

However, there ARE people who have maintained their full weight loss forever. By that, I mean they gain 5-10 pounds, go back to WLS basics, and lose the weight -- just like regular-weight people do from time to time. These are people who have made significant lifestyle changes in what they eat, how they eat, when they eat, how much they exercise and how they exercise.

That's my plan.

:)

P.S. Many people work with therapists (not the kind of yokel you met with ;) ) who help them address various issues they need to resolve re eating, lifestyle, and other underlying psychological and physical causes of their overweight. I've met with a psychologist for almost two years now (since before my WLS) to do this kind of work. He's been very helpful to me. BTW, he says he knows and works with many people who've lost all their weight and maintained it for years.

No, I don't think there is a set limit on how much you can lose. Just look at veteran people here at bariatricpal and you will see a wide range of weight loss.

The bypass is certainly a valid choice, I think that more of those have been done than anything else, because that was the first procedure widely used. It produces the greatest weight loss because food no longer passes through the top portion of the small intestine - i.e. food cannot be absorbed through the duodenum any more. But the bypass carries more downsides - medications and Vitamins are also not absorbed in the duodenum; potential blockage at the graft between the stomach and small intestine; potential dumping... from what I understand, it's still used fairly often for those who really have a great deal to lose, but the sleeve is much more popular overall these days due to fewer downsides.

I think what the psychologist is saying is inaccurate.