Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I eat Chinese and Thai food all the time...just stay away from the rice and noodles. Except when it comes to sushi then I throw the rice "rule" out the window!

In fact, I had beef and broccoli today and snacked on some seaweed salad.

I think it's how you order. Whole fish, for example, is a very common menu item in several different styles. Things like garlic prawns would be great. Some of the meat + veggie Entrees can be ordered with double the Protein portion. Rice & noodles are off the table, obviously. Interesting question!

Edited by 2goldengirl

Well, almost all *American* Chinese food is extremely high in carbs. An occasional treat is okay.

I love Chinese food and so I adapt by ordering mainly chicken Chow Mein, which at the places I go to is mostly vegetables like cabbage, celery and bean sprouts with chicken. No rice, noodles, fried bread, etc. The only exception is I must eat the fortune cookie. lol

Egg drop Soup is really good to eat as well.

I eat "Chinese" food all the time...

Most nights in fact...

As I struggle with my Protein digestion, I'm still on shakes (just over a year out) every day...

So I have three shakes a day as well as some 'Chinese veges in garlic sauce' mixed in with some 'Chicken and sweet corn soup'...

I have this for lunch and dinner 5 days a week...

It's probably a little high in sodium and fat, but as it's pretty much all "eat" during the week, everything seems to balance out nicely...

I'm still losing after 12 months and am more than happy (most of the time) with my progress...

So in short, 'Chinese food', like virtually anything else, is fine...

Just make sure you keep an eye on that sodium and fat...

They can be sneaky f**kers...

About once a week since I was approved to eat all solids.. chicken and mixed vegetables. No egg roll or rice. I have lunch leftovers for a couple days at least.

What are some common menu items you get?

Hot and sour Soup, spring rolls, Buddhas delight, Mu shu pork and veggies (without the pancakes), chicken in garlic sauce, beef and broccoli, chicken satay, egg drop soup, egg foo yung, Szechuan chicken, sweet and sour shrimp, curry anything.

Things I've gotten since having my bypass: wonton Soup (and I either don't eat the wontons or only eat one, as a treat. the broth is clear and delicious), chicken on a stick, beef on a stick, garlic shrimp. There are a few seafood items that you may like, I just don't know about them because besides shrimp, I hate seafood. :P There are a ton of meat and veggie entrees and some places even sell things like eel and squid, depending on how far inland you are. It's totally doable, just not everyday, and definitely take it slow to make sure your stomach tolerates it, as you obviously already know. :)

Chinese food is a tough one! I was told to stay away form it. But, what they meant is stay away from anything with a sauce on it and the rice and noodles, or anything fried. lol

Egg drop Soup is still ok. If you get the plain veggies and chicken/shrimp/whatever Protein, that is ok to get but I just can't stand it! If they have edamame then that's perfect.

But, my surgeon and my dr and my support group all groan when the Chinese food topic is brought up and everyone says to stay away.

Depends on your discipline I guess.

I make it at home and use Panda Express Kung Pao sauce (25 calories/2 tablespoons.) The only thing you have to be careful of is the nuts in the stir fry, otherwise, it's all lo cal/carb.

I have a PF Changs nearby. If you look up the nutrients on their website, it's not hard to fill up on less than 400-500 calories.

I'm not sure I'd trust generic take out. Lots of cornstarch and sugar hidden by spices - proceed with caution.

Edited by Cape Crooner

chicken and broccoli or beef and broccoli is one of my go-to's.

I also have had shrimp egg foo yung.

I like shrimp, scallops, chicken, and/or beef with veggies at Japanese hibachi restaurants.

I avoid rice and noodles.

I call Chinese take out a treat and I budget for it in my fitness pal.

Honestly take out is loaded with fat and carbs but because you eat so little of it and it's only once in a while, go for it.

I love egg rolls, egg foo young, moo shu anything......and I absolutely love chicken or pork pot stickers.

I stay away from the rice, noodles and pancakes mostly because they swell and make me uncomfortable. I do eat the won ton wrapper on the pot stickers.

Honestly, I would rather make my own home made Chinese food but my hubby really loves this place so I will have it once in a while.

I do however love hibachi dinners from Japanese restaurants and so does my pouch. I simply skip the rice and take home the leftovers.