Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Finally got my date March 22! What should I bring!?

Beyond exciting. People around me just can't understand what I'm feeling. This is a fresh start to a new life. So much more than being healthy to me. I just can't wait! So what should I bring with me to the hospital- what should I expect after surgery? Is it all gonna start going by really fast? What about the anesthesia that's my only fear now.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My advice is to take in as much information as possible, follow instructions and you will be fine. Do not worry about anything except for what you are supposed to be doing, a lot of people have horror stories that quite possibly will never happen to you! I was in the hospital on Tuesday am, home Thursday afternoon, back to work 5 days later. I never took a pain pill (my doctor doesn't believe in them) and I started exercising day 4 post op. I have never had vomiting or diarrhea I met my goal weight in 16 months and 18 days. I can do things now I never thought were possible, you will too! Good luck and keep us posted!

All jewelry will have to come off, I don't know about your nails:)

I took a bunch of stuff to the hospital that I never used to include nightgowns and bathrobe, books and magazines. I would take a tooth brush, toothpaste, cell phone and charger and comfy stretchy clothes to go home in. They will give you everything else you may need.

You are going to do great!

Mine is scheduled for the 31st! Good luck to you!

I am 34 months post-op RNY gastric bypass. The guidelines I received was

Light color finger nail polish was fine.

Cannot wear dark colors into surgery.

Can wear acrylic nails.

I believe the reason for this requirement was because they hook up instruments to your fingers to continuously measure your oxygen level.

After surgery, you will need to walk a lot. Walking makes the recovery process go smoothly. There are two points here. Some hospitals equip the bed with a trapeze bar above the bed to help you get up and on your feet. When you have stitches, getting up can be very painful, so this bar really helps. So when you check into the hospital make sure you request this, if it is not automatic. Second, it takes several hours for the anesthesia to wear off. If you try and walk during this time, you will be wobbly. My wife stayed with me in the hospital and she provided me with some help, stability and someone to walk with.

The easiest way to get out of bed is to use the up and down buttons for the head of bed. Let the bed do most of the work for you. Make sure the foot of the bed is flat and you are positioned correctly on the back part. Just relax as the back goes to a sitting position. Than all you have to do is slide your legs over the edge of the bed and the hard part is over with very minimal amt of pain. There are parts of the bed close to the floor that if you find this bar you can use it too to rest your legs on before reaching for the floor.

Beyond exciting. People around me just can't understand what I'm feeling. This is a fresh start to a new life. So much more than being healthy to me. I just can't wait! So what should I bring with me to the hospital- what should I expect after surgery? Is it all gonna start going by really fast? What about the anesthesia that's my only fear now.

Christina_rny,

I have not gotten as far as you yet but have been busy, busy, busy reading everything I can get my hands on. The things that I keep seeing popping up again and again that you should be sure to bring are:

PILLOW - a comfort from home and something to put on your stomach for the drive home in case it gets bumpy.

CHAPSTICK - you will be very limited on liquids and your lips are gonna need some soothing.

GAS-X STRIPS - they pump you full of air during surgery and these (as well as walking) are supposed to be really helpful for gas pain.

Good luck and please keep us posted on how you do!!

Sent from my LG-E980 using the BariatricPal App

I had my surgery on the same day!

I am home resting comfortably. I hope that you are too.

Please allow me to add something to the list of what to bring.

- A person strong enough to help you sit up and stand.

Mine is scheduled for the 31st - I am super nervous. I am so happy to be starting a new chapter but I guess I dont have as strong of a support system so I worry about how I am going to make it through the months after surgery. I have my husband... and he has been working on becoming healthier with me even though he is not overweight, I dont know why but I never really thought I didnt have a support system until i hit the liquid diet and realized that 90% of my "activities" with people revolve around food and just because I decided to change my relationship with food does not mean they will be open to other activities... I do have a support group I can go to once a week so I am going to utilize that, but yeah i am really nervous/anxious/happy/scared all at once.

4 more days....I don't know if I should be scared or excited. Honestly I am just kinda blah...

Edited by KLSUMM