Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm a little over 4 months post-op and things have gone well, with one exception: I am increasingly disgusted by meat. Before surgery, I liked boneless, skinless chicken breasts, hamburgers, Boar's Head lunch meat, etc. Now, while I could force myself to eat them, I increasingly find each of them to be repulsive. Did anyone else have this problem? Did it get better over time? Between Greek yogurt and Protein Bars, I manage to get enough Protein, but I would like to rely more on real foods than Protein Bars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feel free to search for and join WLS Vegetarians on Facebook -- there are lots of great plant-based proteins! :)

first of all that dog. wow. gorg.

second of all YESSSSSSSS. my tastes changed a LOT after surgery. some things i just don't crave anymore or can't stand at all. i want to say it's gotten a little better (i was sleeved Oct) but there are still some thing i just don't like or my body doesn't like. don't be upset by it. you're living a new life now and some things will change. : ) good luck!

for me it was certain meats, I can't eat pork and many lunch meats as well as anything in a tubing such as hot dogs. I can eat chicken and beef if it isn't dry. tuna as well is okay but yeah some meats are bothersome.

I think some of the meat aversion flows from the slight discomfort of all meats in the stomach. cheese goes down easy for me and passes through the pylorus without complaint. Meat, not so much. A few bites of chicken and I'm done. With a touch of discomfort. The limit for meat and eggs is so much smaller in my belly.

Is it the taste or that the more dense Proteins (non-ground meats, pork, etc.) are a little harder to digest?

Maybe you can cook them in a crock pot to soften them up?

Yes! I was always a big meat eater, particularly red meats. I can tolerate most but I have found myself much less interested in meat as my post op life continues to unfold. It really started when I was on solid foods, and following my surgeons advice eating the most Protein dense food Per ounce: meat. 3x a day. After doing this for a month I noticed I felt like crap. That I was feeling sluggish physically and emotionally and mentally. And I started to feel kind of sick at the thought of eating meat. I still use it to supplement my Protein, but only a few times a week. When I listen to my body, it seems to prefer cheese, particularly grass fed raw organic. It prefers organic fruits. It prefers nuts and seeds. On a day when I eat meat, it's usually just once and my other meals are based on the foods I already listed.

Blindly following the direction of so-called authorities, including our surgeons offices, can lead to problems. Most people who have the surgery are doing it as a way of taking responsibility for their own health and well-being. The critical part of this is being educated from more than one point of view. Another critical part, is learning how to listen to your own body. What do you need, to be healthy and happy and fulfilled.

In my personal opinion, it is a huge mistake to assume that all bodies respond the same way to the same things or need the same things. We need to learn how to talk to our bodies and how to listen to them when they talk to us. My body is intelligent and so is yours.

Edited by JupiterinVirgo

Thanks all for the feedback, it is really helpful. I have noticed that eating a freshly grilled hamburger off of the grill is much more feasible for me than eating one that is reheated the next day, so I think that there is something to be said for the dryness of different foods. I'm giving the slow cooker a go today with sirloin, mushrooms, and a red wine/mushroom sauce.

@@JupiterinVirgo That is good advice on paying attention to your body and, especially, gathering information from a wide variety of sources. My surgeon does not have an in-house nutritionist, but referred me to one that holds phone consultations and did not seem to know much about bariatric patients. Information from these forums has been especially helpful!