Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having the hardest time teaching myself to eat slowly

My dietitian gave me a goal of taking 20-30 minutes to finish a meal by taking small bites and chewing really thoroughly. I'm really struggling with this and I know it's an essential skill for WLS. I frankly just want to wolf my food down and I know I can't keep doing that. What are some things you did or found helpful to master this skill?

I'm having same problem then my chest hurts I want to hirl it takes twenty minutes to pass.

Sent from my XT1031 using the BariatricPal App

Counting the number of chews makes a difference. Put down your fork between bites. Some people set a timer, eat a few bites, wait, eat a few more. Good luck!

I'm still pre-op and trying to learn this skill. It's hard when my kids need attention and I'm trying to slow down. It's stressful!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Baby utensils. You pick up smaller bites that way.

I hear you..I have a problem with food that is not hot. I will have to re-heat food, or adjust my attitude about food cooling down. Something I have to focus on.

I used the Eat Slower app when I was learning how to do this.

I play a game in between bites, or eat while doing something else, like cleaning or folding laundry, etc.

I tried to just eat slowly and it did not work. My body decided 30 plus chews was just not slow enough, and I experienced sliming and vomiting; usually both after eating. That's when I had to take matters into my own hands. If I could take a tiny bite of something then walk away, or do something else it worked just fine. Well after I figured out I had to have 5 plus minutes between bites.

I knew it was not a matter of eating too much because the feeling would come after only 2-3 bites.

Now I feel bad for fussing with my kids about having electronics at the table...oh well, can't beat them, join them. lol

I used the Eat Slower app, too. It worked great when I was using it.

But alas, I am lazy and weak and wolfing my food is probably the worst bad habit I've taken back up. I'm always eating on the run and when I'm not I simply hate eating hot food that has cooled off. Since I've never vomitted, gotten sick from over eating or slimed, I guess I just haven't had any negative reinforcement to keep me from doing it.

Get small utensils (I got some appetizer spoons), or only use the very tip of a teaspoon or fork. Take a small bite. Put your utensil down between bites. Don't pick it up again until you have completely swallowed that bite. Chew slowly, and aim for 20-30 times. The benefit is that you get to actually taste the food. Notice the aroma, texture, flavor, etc.

It does take practice, but it is worth it.

@@katanne ...

I have NO idea why I used to eat so fast. But learning to eat more slowly has been one of the very best tools I've acquired along my WLS journey.

I've been maintaining almost a year now, and eating more slowly has been critical to my weight loss and weight maintenance success.

It also just calms me the hell down. Eating now feels a bit like a meditative experience. I actually enjoy eating and tasting the food now more than when I speed-ate.

Please conquer this one. I guarantee you'll be glad you did. :)

Use smaller utensils.
Put your fork down between bites.
Consciously count the number of chews and chew slowly.
If necessary pre cut your food into small pieces.
If eating with other people, have conversations, that is not only interesting and fun, but it will take you longer to eat.
Partition your portion, if you ate the first half too fast, wait a few minutes before eating the other half.

You can do it!

To be honest, I still need to improve on this too.

Edited by 4MRB4PHOTO

for those mentioning hot food cooling down too much: I read that using a small plate on a coffee cup warmer works.

Thanks for the suggestion on that app! I will need to download it. I'm a fast eater and always done before anyone in my family, so I certainly need help with this!

I have a hard time remembering to slow down. I am not a super fast eater, but after WLS it seems I find myself eating a little too fast for my tiny tyrant tummy. All of a sudden I will be FULL. Need to work on it.