Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have a dilemma! Help please

So I haven't been on this forum in a while. I thought I would be having surgery in January. I have had so much happen within the last 4 months in the meantime I've kept up with my weigh ins and completed all my doctors appointments, well I just got insurance approval for surgery and can have it done as soon as 3/9! My problem is I started a new job 3 weeks ago... I was at my previous job for 3 years and thought that I would still be there and would have been comfortable taking time off but with this being a new job I'm stressing over what to do! I want the surgery but I'm afraid to take time off of this new job. I was told having a desk job some people go back to work after a week. But is that realistic? I know I can't predict complications. I'm just so confused right now.. Any advice would be appreciated.

Edited by FayBee

I had a desk job when I had surgery. I was working from my hospital bed by day 2, however mentally I wasn't doing great work until about day 5. You can easily return to a desk job within a week of surgery. I was back at my desk the Monday after my Monday surgery and didn't have any issues.

A week is tough on some folks. Personally, I planned for 2 weeks off and a week working form home, but went back to the office after 6 days and was fine. I never needed narcotics, only spent one night in the hospital and had no complications, but even for those with no complications that is not everyone's experience. What would you do if you planned for a week and either had a complication or just recovered more slowly and needed two, (or more)?

Plan for the worst and hope for the best.

A week is tough on some folks. Personally, I planned for 2 weeks off and a week working form home, but went back to the office after 6 days and was fine. I never needed narcotics, only spent one night in the hospital and had no complications, but even for those with no complications that is not everyone's experience. What would you do if you planned for a week and either had a complication or just recovered more slowly and needed two, (or more)?

I had Rny, I have a desk job and I was ok. I was tired and not a hundred percent but I got through the day and appreciated the normalcy and all in all I think I was better for having done that. After months of preparing it felt good to go be productive.

I want the surgery but I'm afraid to take time off of this new job.

@@FayBee

welcome back

if i had known you

i'm sure i would have missed youi! LOL

i can only imagine the pickle your are in

say something to boss like.........

i'm loving my job, buttttt

i have been waiting to have surgery

i had no idea when/how soon the surgery would be scheduled for

if i had known this before i took the job

i would definitely have told you

i don't want to leave you shorthanded

is there a way we can handle this without too many problems

i really like my job

if we possibly could figure this out, that would be great

if you request me to work a few more weeks

(giving you time to maybe get other help from area)

that is fine too

i will get a later date

i don't want to leave you shorthanded

whatever you think is best i'll do it

if she gives you a mean mean, terrible argument

like she's a horrible person will continue to be horrible

then she slaps, kicks, yells etc

maybe i would say screwww you!!! :D

walk out!!!

that's only of course if you don't mind getting fired!!!

and financially you can afford this

all peoples re-cup in different time periods

some people are fine over a week-end

others a week or two

but some longer

the one thing we have in common

is that we're all different

you are at a desk job so maybe things will be ok

sooner than later

ask if you could work 1/2 days

good luck with surgery

work , and life in general

speedy recovery :rolleyes:

kathy

Thanks for the advice guys. I appreciate it! The only reason I say a week is because I've had two csections and thankfully recovery for me was not bad at all. I was up and walking around after 3 days. I know it's a different type of surgery, but I'm thinking I maybe able to pull off a week off. I'm an insurance agent so I'm at my desk from 8-5 with an hour lunch.

I had my sleeve done in 2011 and had a job where I walked a lot and then sat at a desk in between. I only took a week off and I was fine. But everyone is different. Good luck.

I am only 8 days out, and I definitely need another week. Having said that, after all you've done to have the surgery...In my opinion you should really just let them know that it was planned ahead of time, and you need to take the two weeks (with a possibility of returning before that time is up). Prayerfully they'll understand.

It is really hard to get approved, and you're not alway guaranteed an insurance situation in the future that even covers it, or you can get approved easily.

Thanks for the advice guys. I appreciate it! The only reason I say a week is because I've had two csections and thankfully recovery for me was not bad at all. I was up and walking around after 3 days. I know it's a different type of surgery, but I'm thinking I maybe able to pull off a week off. I'm an insurance agent so I'm at my desk from 8-5 with an hour lunch.

I am a week out from surgery and going back in a day. I could have started back yesterday and been fine but am giving myself a little extra time. I had two c sections and think this is a MUCH easier recovery than those. Plus, you aren't taking care of a baby!

Just remember that you will likely not qualify for FMLA while you are out and if you don't have any vacation/pto/sick time yet they don't have to let you come back to work when you are ready to come back, especially if the recovery doesn't go as quickly as you had hoped.

Definitely have an honest conversation with both your manager and HR before you make a decision.

I scheduled 2 weeks off from my job. After 4 days I felt great and wanted to go back at the end of the week but my boss wouldn't let me. Ended up taking the full 2 weeks, but really could have gone back with no issues.

Remember that everyone is different though. A friend was down and out for nearly 3 weeks after her sleeve was done. You can plan on lots of things, but your body will ultimately let you know what you can and cannot do.

I was out for four days i think. Granted i had some incision pain but to sit at a desk you should be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I only needed a week and really was working from home during that week. When I went back I was tired but fine, no problems. Good luck to you

I took 2 1/2 weeks off from a desk job and am glad i did, as I felt that I had the energy I needed to complete my job wen I returned. By the end of the first week I was working from home about 5-6 hours a day, but at my own pace. Speak to your supervisor and HR about options available, including telework for the time period you are recovering. Every person is different and you will only know how you react to the surgery after it's done. Good luck and congrats on starting this process!

Well thank you guys. Wish me luck I plan on talking to my boss today [emoji16]. I don't want to miss the opportunity ( you guys have helped me see that!) and the fact that my insurance is covering it is pushing me to get it done more, I don't know if I will have the same opportunity if my insurance provider changes. I plan on the 3/16 date so I can prepare. A 7 day diet is required. I need to go grocery shopping! I also want to give my employer a little extra time.

So I haven't been on this forum in a while. I thought I would be having surgery in January. I have had so much happen within the last 4 months in the meantime I've kept up with my weigh ins and completed all my doctors appointments, well I just got insurance approval for surgery and can have it done as soon as 3/9! My problem is I started a new job 3 weeks ago... I was at my previous job for 3 years and thought that I would still be there and would have been comfortable taking time off but with this being a new job I'm stressing over what to do! I want the surgery but I'm afraid to take time off of this new job. I was told having a desk job some people go back to work after a week. But is that realistic? I know I can't predict complications. I'm just so confused right now.. Any advice would be appreciated.

I have a desk job NO complications at all, and I could have gone back after a few days - I did go back after a week, and at my choice limited to 6 hour days for the first month, only because I usually get pulled for more overtime than I like. If you don't have OT concerns, then a full day of a desk job would be fine - assuming no complications. I am able to have Water or other drink at my desk, and even eat my Snacks there.