Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Face Blindness

It seems like they invent a new deficiency or weakness in people every other week. I read the following article today on something called face blindness. The article was called Can’t Identify People? New Test Hopes to Help ‘Face-Blind’. Here is a link to the article. http://acsh.org/news/2016/02/18/cant-identify-people-new-test-hopes-to-help-face-blind/

So within the article was a link to a Cambridge University (UK) study in which I could do a 20 minute test to see if I was face blind. I took the test and scored a 54%. Normal is 80%. Below 60% is indicative of face blindness.

I guess I always had a problem with remembering names and faces. I am much better with numbers. I guess sometimes we are defined by our weakness (such as obesity) and sometimes by our ability to deal with and overcome those weaknesses.

I got 54 percent also. I've sometimes thought I've had trouble remembering faces. And it's always baffled me how police could see a photo of someone and then recognize their suspect in a crowd. I'd never be able to do that.

I can't believe I got 93%. I guess I just watch too much TV.

I"m afraid to even take the thing!

I was 83% and that's not bad

Nope. Not gonna take that test. Can't give the kids any ammunition or I'll find myself a resident of 'Happy Acres' before I know what's happening... :lol:

I have a friend who can't recognize faces. It was always a struggle for him because even people he knew well he couldn't recognize. It tends to make people feel insulted or unimportant when you don't say hello or act like they're a stranger when they greet you. Until they said their name, he would have no idea who they were. And not just casual acquaintances but people he had spent a great deal of one on one time with. It was a huge social problem for him but I didn't realize it was an actual, documented problem.

The article said the Cambridge test gives inaccurate results but there is no link that I could find to the new test. I am starting to think I have some form of this, with an odd twist. I just started online dating again and I never recognize people from their photos, even recent photos. I do this thing where I pick a single characteristic to try to remember but I am out of luck if I can't spot it. Luckily for me my appearance is very distinctive and 100percent of the time my date recognizes me.

Funny story I met someone who I'd previously had a negative encounter (he was a drunk grabby ass at a party like a few years ago.) I didn't recognize him at all from photos but did in about half a second once he arrived. At first I was kind of mad and even accused him of not having recent photos but then I remembered...no...it's me and seeing photos is the issue. We made amends and he apologized for being an ass so it was all fine - but not dating him. :)

However, once I have met someone and spent time with them I am average/ok with recognition. I clue heavily on body language and gestures because that can be distinctive, but I think I also remember their faces. You know what I think I just told a lie. I was out with a friend and she recognized a man I had been in a serious relationship with but hadn't seen in a year. He'd gained some weight and had his arm in a cast so his body looked different. I walked right by him - it was my girlfriend who said "hey" and then I did recognize him. Interesting.

I too have no idea how people can describe someone to a police sketch artist. I'd be like...Well, he looked about average, you know, with average hair..or maybe he was balding..no wait...maybe that was the other guy...

Well, that was interesting! I had 93%. Maybe that's why everywhere I go I think I see somebody I've seen or met before.

90% here-I have no problem with remembering faces. Trying to recall someone's name is another story!

I did go back and take the cambridge test (even though the article specificlly stated it was inaccurate.

I scored 60%, but I think i am a lucky guesser. i did well (I think) on the initial portion because i do this thing where i remember one distinctive facial characteristic like shape of lip or nose or something... but when it got to the part where they were introducing lots of faces, and then blurring the images...haha.. I was in the land of "I have no idea" an just randomingly guessing.

This topic was on 60 minutes Sunday night which I recorded and believe it or not just watched about 2 hours ago. When I saw it I said yep that is me. I could hardly recognize anyone on the show. Just took the test in the link. I was doing pretty good I thought until they got to the recognition of the 6 faces and I blew it. I also have trouble remembering peoples names. I am a teacher of elderly blind. If they are my client and once I have met them and I see them week after week I remember them. However once they are no longer my client but still come back to the center for other classes etc I sometime remember the face and forget their name. Other times I don't even remember I knew them. I am always asked other coworkers who is that person. Not so good for a teacher. That is why I love name tags, which we do not use but wish we did.

My accuracy in the experiment was: 58%

It took me years to recognize that it wasn't normal that I couldn't identify people. I hate it when tv shows have two blondes, or two actors with similar faces or haircuts. I always have to ask, is that the same person in the last scene? Is that the mother or the daughter? How about going on a date in high school and not recognizing the guy the next day? Or living across the street from the same people for ten years, but being afraid to say hi because it might be a visiting friend, not the neighbor? Running into your sister at the mall, and not recognizing her? It's very isolating socially. In my perfect universe, everyone would wear a nametag.

Weird thing is, at a dog show, I can recognize a dog 50 yards away. I look at silhouettes, carriage, movement, no faces involved!