Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Age is but a number......

I am currently 19 years old. Many people feel that I am to young to understand the risks and responsibility of having this surgery. As a little bit of background I have been overweight as long as I can remember. When I was 10 my mother started me on my first diet program. I have been on countless programs that just haven't worked for me. I would just like some opinion on the topic of my age. What do you think?

At nineteen you are likely fully physically grown, and emotionally ready for the surgery if you and your surgeon believe it is appropriate. I've known 19-year-olds who possess more maturity and a stronger sense of personal responsibility than 50-year-olds, so it's definitely something that is very individual. Everyone contemplating this surgery needs to equip themselves with knowledge about it and give it serious deliberation. You need to consider the reasons you want the surgery, your willingness to comply with the necessary lifestyle adjustments, and your finances. I think there are advantages to having the surgery earlier in your adulthood, especially if you have a long history of struggling with weight. You are more prime to recover quickly and to experience fewer side effects. Many people have said they'd have had the surgery at a much younger age if it had been available to them. I think the VSG as a standalone surgery is relatively new, so many people didn't have the opportunity that you do.

Best wishes to you. :)

Edited by Clementine Sky

If I could go back to my twenties and have this surgery I would do it in a heartbeat.

Here's why, the longer you carry that high of a BMI, you will do damage to your body that cannot be reversed. Take it from me, I am 52 years ago and have damaged my spine and joints so badly that I am in chronic pain every single day. I have had 6 back surgeries!

Don't wait, run! More yo yo dieting will only make your obesity disease worse. It is a metabolic disease and the cure is weight loss surgery.

Best of luck! Feel free to message me with questions!

I would support my child. I think if he was willing to put in the work and go into this with his eyes open it would be a blessing.

Sounds like you have a level head on your shoulders.

Hannah, you haven't said whether you do understand the "risks and responsibility." It is imperative that you and anyone else contemplating surgery comprehend that it isn't a cure. The real work remains in the hands of the individual. I can't give you an opinion based on your age, as, at 67, I go back and forth about surgery for people as young as you. Even with opinions and discussions with your regular doctor, the choice must be yours. I think you'll do well to attend support groups organized by the hospitals in your area. If you're in the NYC part of NY, they all welcome people regardless of surgery location. You can ask questions and hear from others.

You were specific about requesting opinions based on your age. I'll break that to say that your mother must take three steps back. Surgery is about you alone and all of your own reasons for wanting to lose weight. I believe that she loves you like wildfire and wants the best for you, but pleasing her shouldn't be one of your reasons.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

Do I think someone who is 19 years old can be successful with this surgery? Absolutely.

Do I think it will be easy? No.

I am trying to look back at the person I was at 19. I think at that age there are different challenges than those I have at 51.

For me, the years of therapy, grappling with eating issues, and general life lessons have helped me tremendously. Some of the keys to success for this process are things I have been working toward and learning over a lifetime such as: patience, polite persistence, perseverance, resourcefulness, and positivity.

I do think that if you go into this experience with an open mind, an insatiable thirst to learn as much as you can, a willingness to ask for and accept help and guidance from your medical team, and the courage to try to do everything you are asked to do, even if you think you can't, you will do really well.

Please know that the surgeon only operates on our digestive tract and not our brains, so you still need to do a lot of work unlearning old and relearning new habits, behaviors, and ways of thinking. There is a lot of inside work to be done.

This site is a great resource for support, information, inspiration, and encouragement. In addition to participating on this site, I encourage you to look for other resources like: a counselor or therapist, a bariatric support, and/or a 12-step recovery group like OK. I also encourage you to read a lot (a good book to start with are: Eat it Up by Connie Stapleton).

Keep us posted on your journey.

If I could go back to my twenties and have this surgery I would do it in a heartbeat.

Here's why, the longer you carry that high of a BMI, you will do damage to your body that cannot be reversed. Take it from me, I am 52 years ago and have damaged my spine and joints so badly that I am in chronic pain every single day. I have had 6 back surgeries!

Don't wait, run! More yo yo dieting will only make your obesity disease worse. It is a metabolic disease and the cure is weight loss surgery.

Best of luck! Feel free to message me with questions!

I too have mixed feelings about young people and bariatric surgery, but then I saw your Bmi. I am telling you the honest truth, once your BMI is over a certain point.....I dunno, 50?... the obesity disease process has you in it's grip. You have a metabolic condition called obesity....and an advanced case of it. WLS is a tool that if used well, will help you manage your primary symptom which is excess weight. I think you should go for it.

I also want to say as someone of the"benefit" of years, I would not have been as successful at your age as I have been. I know this to be true because I completely failed with my initial bariatric surgery. You really have to reach a point where you want it pretty bad.

You have to be ready to shed the fatsuit - whatever the excess weight and over eating means for you.

Even at 27 years old I questioned whether I was personally old enough for this surgery. But after much deliberation, I realized that I don't want to be walking this path in my fifties and regretting the years I lost to obesity. I've already missed out on 10 years of life...why would I want to allow this disease to rob me of another 20+? As long as you are looking at this from a HEALTH stand point and not an "oh, I can't wait to fit in a bikini" then I think you will be just fine. The physical change excites me, yes. But the driving force behind my decision is what is on the horizon with my health. With heart disease basically being a guarantee just from genetics plus the increased chances from obesity...I'm screwed. So this is my way of getting that under control. Let the naysayers be naysayers. They don't have to answer to what your future holds. You do. So only you know what you can handle and what's best for your life and health. :)

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

Edited by sassyfrass23

The brain does not fully develop until 24. Normally I would caution againstcanyone uner 25 making serious life choices.

In your case with your BMI, you have less than a 5% chance of losing on your own and keeping it off.

Go for surgery if you can commit to the lifestyle changes.

I really wish I could go back and have an conversation with my 19 self.

So many points that I'd drive home........

The primary point would be to embrace fitness and establish it as a core principle in your life. I was in pretty awesome shape at 19 and probably would have listened.....and stayed on track.

I would let the young version know how bad not staying fit will hurt later in life......how it can hinder opportunities and take you down dark roads.

I would urge him to always be true to himself and his health first and foremost and to employ any tool available to him towards this lifelong goal.

If the sleeve was such a tool....then so be it.

My post was more negative than intended. I do believe you can be successful and I do believe you should research carefully, find a great program with support and education and a proven success track record and go for it.

My meaning was that there were alot of truths I needed to face that I wasn't prepared for. When I was 20 I went from 195 to 145 by dieting and fitness workouts. I was an emotional wreck and back then, living in a rural area, there was zero acknowledgement of the emotional side of thing. I regained fast. We are all different but just set yourself up for success with the right kind of education, support, therapy, whatever it takes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using the BariatricPal App

I suppose by now you already know that those who choose WLS have to completely change their lives post-op and build a new, healthy lifestyle that they live for the rest of their lives. This isn't easy.

Therefore, here's my reaction / advice to you:

You're unusual in that you are already very heavy at such a young age.

I would think that you are much more likely to be successful at getting healthy, no matter how you go about it, if you can address ALL the reasons (nutritional, medical/physical, behavioral, psychological, emotional, sexual, familial, peer, environmental, etc.) that have taken you to this place.

Clearly, you're going to have to change so many things about your life IF WLS is going to be a successful tactic for you.

I don't see how you can do that without a significant effort to unpack the factors and events that got you here -- and to do that I propose that you need to work with an excellent therapist who has a good track record of helping bariatric patients (and perhaps adolescents and young adults) deal with whatever they need to address.

No matter what you decide to do, I wish for you the very best.

I agree with what others are saying. Thinking back to when I was 19, I was in much better shape than I am now, but I think I had the clarity to move ahead with something like this had I needed to. Make sure you research everything and realize that surgery is not a cure-all--it's a tool for weight loss, you're making a significant lifestyle change. Likely for 70 years in your case :)

Best of luck in your decision.

I was 21 when I had my surgery and a lot of people questioned whether I was sure I wanted it. I had to go through the 6 month process for my insurance and that gave me a lot of time to think about what the rules and different life changes I was going to have to make. Especially with friends and stuff because we are at the age where we hang out with friends, go out for drinks, etc and all that has changed. I had lapband June 2, 2015 and I've lost 45 lbs. I do not regret my decision at all because going into it I knew that it was best for me at that time and I know that I will come out healthier and will be a better "me". Good luck and feel free to message me if you have any questions or just need someone to talk to!