Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello, I am new to this page, and feel very fortunate to have found it. I'm just needing some support right now. I had my surgery on 03/02/16, and physically and more importantly, mentally, I am just not coping. My depression is just overwhelming (I am on antidepressants, and have increased the dosage) like a lot of people, I was a big comfort eater, and now not to be able to do that, messes with your head,big time!! I'm also very limited as to what I can actually stomach and keep down, I find myself constantly vomitting, pretty much anything new I try to introduce. Basically my diet consists of Protein Shakes, iceypoles, Water, jelly and watered down Soups. I'm not feeling satisfied, and I'm getting to the point of not even wanting to eat, because it's just too hard emotionally and physically. And to make things worse, I even gained weight this week. Is all this normal for at this stage of recovery? I'm really scared, and terrified my depression is going to get beyond control. Please can anyone give me any advise to help me cope with this?

In my experience and reading the experiences of others here on BP, all this is pretty normal. There are a few lucky people who adjust quickly, and move on toward their new life with enthusiasm and hope. I was certainly not one of these people and it seems you are not either.

The only comfort I can offer you is that this WILL get better. Sometimes it takes a good while to adjust to your new stomach, your new diet, and your new life. That in itself is a jarring experience. Throw in all the hormone imbalances that are happening in your body as we speak and you've got a recipe for anxiety and misery.

Just keep reminding yourself why you've come so far already, and why you've done all this work. Remind yourself of the person you were before you took the plunge and the person you'd like to be as you go forward. This is one of the hardest parts, but it will improve, and soon. You'll be able to tolerate food and drink better, you'll get accustomed to all the new stuff, and in a couple of months, you'll look back on this unhappy time and be relieved, because it will be over. :)

I don't know your guidelines in terms of when you can eat mushy food/solids etc, but a lot of people I know had issues keeping stuff down until they hit solid food. I had my surgery the day before yours and have been lucky enough not to have to deal with nausea. If your changing stages (liquid to mush to solid) your weight will be out of whack, don't worry, it's temporary. Your weight loss may also stall, as long as you keep on doing what you're supoosed to then again, it will be temporary and is nothing to worry about.

I can understand the uninterest in food as I went through that but set my phone alarm every three hours to eat something and forced myself no matter how small the meal/snack was. Your body has gone through a huge shock and along with that your head has too. Do you have a therapist you can talk to?

You don't have your stats showing so I don't know if you are starting from a lower BMI so can't comment about the weight however you are on week three with the infamous 3 week stall. So pack the scales away, keep to the programme and check in another week, hard to do but will stop the head f**ks.

Have you spoken to your NUT about starting other foods?

Best of luck and congrats on the surgery! Hang on in there, it'll get better :D

Most of what you are going through is pretty normal. You probably have it a little worse if you were already suffering with depression. That post-op buyer's remorse is VERY common and it definitely takes more than a few weeks to adjust to not being able to eat for comfort. That was probably the issue that lingered the most for me, even once I was healed up and through all the food stages and back to work, it took me good 3-4 months probably to finally adjust to not eating my feelings.

Are you seeing someone for your depression? Someone you can talk to? You might want to tell them how you are feeling and increase your appointments and you might need your medicine adjusted. Not eating your feelings,and learning to feel all your feelings is tough. It is even harder right after surgery when your hormones are all out of whack. Make sure you seek some help, before things get out of control.

I start to gain when I am not drinking enough Water. If you are able to do soft foods, then adding unsweetened applesauce to your diet will help with water retention but you need to be sure you are increasing your water intake. This was one of the hardest things for me (and still is)

Update: I went to a support group meeting and met with my psychologist and am back on track. Due to some Hair loss and the weird intense cravings, she recommended I increase my Protein intake from 65g to 80g per day (as well as get my Water in). I did this and within a week the cravings subsided completely and I am now under 200 lbs for the first time in many, many years. Thank you all for your support.