Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I feel top young for this

I am a 27, 6 ft, 375 lb male. I've always been told I carry my weight very well and have been very active. The last few years I've noticed how much harder it is to play sports like basketball and football. I am scheduled for the sleeve in the morning and I am so nervous. I have a three year old son and I want to see him grow into a great man some day. I'm afraid I'm going to eat myself to death but honestly I feel ashamed that I'm getting this done. My mind keeps saying, "Really?!?! You need something this drastic?!?" Did anyone else feel this way before? I've almost called 3 times today to cancel the surgery.

In 2010 I was at my ideal weight which was 215. I've been slowly putting weight on and it seems no matter what I try I can't stay with it. I feel like with this I won't have an option because I won't risk my life for a cheeseburger. My father in law gave me a spiel last night about how if something happens to me that my son will suffer. I just can't get it out of my head. I tried explaining to him that without something like this surgery I don't have a control point. If I overeat today what is my punishment? Some shame, a pound on the scale. If I overeat after the surgery I could die, and that is motivation.

I've made it through the pre-op liquid diet and in some way this has made me feel confidence in myself again. I feel like I can do it without the surgery. I don't know. My mind is just every where.

Forgive me for venting this is my first post and too many things in my mind right now to be coherent

I'm 23 and I have to tell you, I was there with you on the "Really? Your fat behind can't even put the fork down and so you gotta get _surgery_??"

But here is the thing. There are an infinite number of reasons we gain weight- mental, physical, and emotional. This is just a tool to help us get some control of our lives back and that's what's important.

The possibility of you getting seriously messed up during surgery? Pretty low. The possibility of obesity eventually killing you after your son has to watch that slow, miserable decent into sickness and suffering? Very. Very high.

It will be okay, really :)

Take it from someone 62 years old. If it had been available when I was your age and I know what I know now, I would have done it in a HEARTBEAT. My life is so much more active now, even after only 3 1/2 months. The most beautiful thing about this surgery, from my perspective, is the fact that I am no longer CRAZY hungry all of the time. It's much easier to take this path because the craving has been removed. Something is removed when they do the sleeve that takes away the feeling of hunger. For me it was a gift. It is much easier to stay committed to a healthy eating plan when I am not obsessing about eating. It's a great tool. If I were you, I'd take advantage of this opportunity.

I was 51 when I had surgery and had limited mobility because of the damage excess weight had done to my knees and back. Seven months later, I am down 120 lbs and feel better than I ever have. If I could have done the surgery at your age, and avoided all the damage, I would have. I lost large amounts of weight over the years, only to gain it back with a vengeance. The restriction that VSG brings hopefully will mitigate that, as will my desire to keep feeling as healthy and alive as I do now. This is a great opportunity to be there for your child, not just in the future, but mobile and energetic in the present.

Everything you are going through right now is 100% normal. Almost every single one of us has these last minute doubts. Remember that the risk of complications with sleeve surgery is EXTREMELY low. Ultimately you will be giving your son a better life. You will be able to do more with him. You will be able to set a better example. And you will live to see him grow into a man, graduate, and start a life of his own. It will be so worth it in the end!!!

I am a 27, 6 ft, 375 lb male. I've always been told I carry my weight very well and have been very active. The last few years I've noticed how much harder it is to play sports like basketball and football. I am scheduled for the sleeve in the morning and I am so nervous. I have a three year old son and I want to see him grow into a great man some day. I'm afraid I'm going to eat myself to death but honestly I feel ashamed that I'm getting this done. My mind keeps saying, "Really?!?! You need something this drastic?!?" Did anyone else feel this way before? I've almost called 3 times today to cancel the surgery.

My father in law gave me a spiel last night about how if something happens to me that my son will suffer. I just can't get it out of my head.

It's normal to be scared. It's normal for your brain to be all over the place. Don't let that stop you from doing the most positive thing you feel you can do for your long term health. You don't want your son to grow up with a parent disabled by obesity. No matter how "well you carry it", You are carrying the weight of another adult human being on a body designed to carry ONE human being. the wear and tear on your bones, joints, and internal organs is real, whether you feel it at 27 or not.

Family and friends who object to the surgery generally do so because they're scared. How scared are they of you getting disabled due to your overweight?

You have the chance to reclaim your health and run and play with your son as he grows and model for him how to live a healthy, active life. You have the opportunity to reclaim your health so that you and your wife can live long and healthily enough to run and play with your grandchildren.

Could you lose 150# without surgery? Possibly. Statistically, it isn't likely. Realistically, keeping your focus long enough to lose that amount without the assistance of the sleeve is an extreme challenge. Hoping to both lose that amount and keep it off is something all of us here likely wish we could have done. History has proven that we can't, that's why we're here.

Don't let your fears hold you back. Isn't that what you want to teach your son?

I had the surgery at 38 and I wish I would have done it sooner. In 9 months my life has changed. I am off my Metformin, I am in normal clothes, and I am physically fit. I have energy to work full time, pursue a Master's degree, take care of my 11 month of baby, and activities with friends and family. Before, I could barely get my butt off the couch on weekends. Now I am up early to go for a run and then all day shopping and errands and then family time. I can offer my daughter so much more now that I am healthy.

You are normal, everything you are going through is normal. I wish oh how I wish I had this opportunity at your age or even 10 years ago. You will have so many more memories with your child and more for yourself.

It's not an easy process as you have found out and you will earn every pound, there is no shame in that!!

In my basement is a 20 pound kettle bell that I cannot even lift off the floor. I can't even imagine that I could carry several of those attached to my body now. No wonder I was exhausted all the time.

If you have around 150 pounds to lose, that is like wearing a two-month old colt and a bale of hay for a belt. As you lose the weight, the difference becomes discernable very quickly. You will be soooooo glad you did this, and you will have a better quality of life for it.

Here is my favorite thread on this forum. It now has 1,281 reasons why the rest of us decided to take the plunge and get bariatric surgery.

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/219831-what-was-your-final-straw-that-broke-the-camels-back/?hl=%20final%20%20straw

I've already warmed your spot on, "The Losers' Bench".. We are all here waiting for you to join us.

We will all help you at every trial, ache, stall, frustration and question.

We will also be here to hear your victories, progress, milestones, and thrills.

"BRAGS AND BITCHES"---We want to hear them all!

You will NEVER be alone as long as we are here.

I promise.

Prayers going up for you.

You got this!

I'm 24 and have those very same thoughts I also know I won't make it to 40 the way I am now

Day 2 after the surgery so far so good. I had a great surgeon and great team. Helped my sister was a nurse for many biatric doctors so her advice and help made it very smooth. They are keeping me another night though just for precautions. My heart rate is a little too elevated.

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

Welcome to the "Losers' Bench"! Cozy, isn't it? Sit, rest a week bit, then

take a deep breath, and get off your arse and get moving into the best part of your life!!! :)

Glad things are going okay. Just take it one day at a time. Stay focused on the things you need to be doing to get better. Get your Water, get as much Protein as possible, take your meds, and get up and walk a bit every hour or two.