Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NO pre-op diet? How much did you lose?

I think one of the benefits of the pre-op diet is with it being low carb you kind of lose your appetite. At least most people that do low carb have a decreased appetite. I certainly do. So then after surgery when I was being so careful and ginger with what I was taking in, I was not starving. In fact I did not feel a "hunger pang" until about 3 weeks. Also when you go on a low carb diet prior you lose so much of that excess Fluid. You often get some Fluid retention after surgery and it is much easier to manage if you have already lost a lot of excess fluid.

I was considered low BMI so did not need to do anything other than the 3 days liquid prior. I did the low carb pre-op diet and I am glad I did. I will be 6 weeks out tomorrow and I am down 21 lbs. from surgery day and 28 lbs. from when I started the pre-op diet.

Good luck in what ever you chose.

I am a week into my pre-op diet, and while the primary reason given for this 2 weeks of low carb dieting is shrinking my liver, I wonder if a secondary reason is to get "low carb flu" out of the way before surgery. Yesterday was the first day I felt normal. Headaches, ravenous hunger, exhaustion and irritability up until then. I definitely don't want to deal with that along with the pain of surgery. It has also served to get me mentally prepared for the journey ahead. This isn't an argument for a pre-op diet, just my novice personal experience thus far.

I remember giving up carbs once and it was the worst week of my life. But I can see everyone's point. I guess I have some time to decide what I am going to do. I'm normally a pretty good healer with surgery (had prior abdominal surgery and then a c-section) so i hope that trend continues. Although I wasn't only eating 300 calories a day

"I remember giving up carbs once and it was the worst week of my life."
If you have time why not slowly reduce your carbs? You don't have to go from eating carbs unlimited one day to 10 carbs the next. That is miserable. Start by looking at where you get your carbs. Cut back on bread and Pasta but keep eating high Fiber carbs. It is tough to totally cut carbs but to slowly do it (especially where you say that you have time) would make it easier on you. I know that I always lost excess Fluid and weight on low carb and actually felt better once I got through the "funk". I feel that the American diet is way too full of simple carbs. And that is one reason (there are many) that obesity is such a problem in our country.
Good luck!

"I remember giving up carbs once and it was the worst week of my life."

If you have time why not slowly reduce your carbs? You don't have to go from eating carbs unlimited one day to 10 carbs the next. That is miserable. Start by looking at where you get your carbs. Cut back on bread and Pasta but keep eating high Fiber carbs. It is tough to totally cut carbs but to slowly do it (especially where you say that you have time) would make it easier on you. I know that I always lost excess Fluid and weight on low carb and actually felt better once I got through the "funk". I feel that the American diet is way too full of simple carbs. And that is one reason (there are many) that obesity is such a problem in our country.

Good luck!

I'm probably going to cut out (or at least down) my carb intake a week or so before surgery. But I'm looking at October surgery right now so I have time. I can't lose more than 7 lbs or I won't be approved for surgery

I have been considering starting my low carb diet this week. My surgery is scheduled for 4/4. I do have a one week liquid diet to follow before the surgery, but I still think it can't hurt for me to start weaning off the bad carbs now. And I drink 1-2 cups of coffee every morning and I know I'll have to initially give that up. And I'll def get headaches!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Agree with all of the above. My surgery is scheduled for 6/1. I've been doing a high Protein low carb diet since 1/7. I'm glad to be through that carb withdrawal. Still working on giving up Diet Coke. Down from 4 cans a day to 2. Mostly I feel like food doesn't have the control over me that it had. I figure not having to deal with those issues immediately post op can only benefit me. Plus I've gone from 223 lbs to 200 lbs.

I just had to do liquids the day before surgery. I've lost 131 pounds so far. I don't think having or not having a pre-op diet really makes an impact on your long-term success. It's more of a surgeon's preference, whether they think you need to work on shrinking your liver or not, etc.

I had no preop diet, just liquids the day before only. I have lost 94&1/2 and I am 5&1/2 months out from getting sleeved.

I just had to do liquids the day before surgery. I've lost 131 pounds so far. I don't think having or not having a pre-op diet really makes an impact on your long-term success. It's more of a surgeon's preference, whether they think you need to work on shrinking your liver or not, etc.

That's awesome! It is so confusing to read all the different pre-op diets. It's hard to not second guess

I had no preop diet, just liquids the day before only. I have lost 94&1/2 and I am 5&1/2 months out from getting sleeved.

Wow 94 lbs in 5 1/2 months!! That's fantastic and makes me wish my surgery could be sooner.

I had to keep my calories under 1,000 and carbs under 100 the week before my surgery and that was it.