Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Now that I am 16 months post op and have literally been fighting every day to lose this weight and keep it off this kind of crap really irritates me.

This is not the cheat way or the easy way and people who say things like this including shows like the biggest loser, people magazine and even the new skin tight show annoy the hell out of me.

At the end of the day the most important thing is to lose the weight to get healthy regardless of how you get it done. There is no magic wand anywhere for this. We all know that whether you lose it with or without surgery it requires diet and exercise. It requires new behaviors every single day. Having WLS helped me understand what I was doing wrong Everytime I lost weight before. I always went back to old behaviors and that can certainly happen again but now I am fully aware of what I cannot do.

After having my guts rearranged I refuse to screw it up again.

That is not cheating, it is education and a lot of hard work.

I am very sorry you are dealing with this but get used to it because it won't be the last time you hear it. If you share your story people will put their uneducated 2 cents in. I have learned to have very thick skin.

It still irritates me but I am learning to deal with it.

It's really hard trying to make the right decision for your health and your sanity, only to have people put you down for it. But in life some people are never satisfied!!! My sis taught me that I could be the sweetest, juiciest peach ever made and theres still going to be someone out there who doesn't like peaches....thanks for all the feedback everyone

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Edited by Angie74

I'd tell that person to suck my butt.

Do they walk to work or ride in a vehicle? After all, walking is the "old fashioned" way.

Do they wash their clothes in a creek or use a washing machine?

Do they take poop inside or out in the woods?

Do they take medications or just let nature take its course?

Diapers and tampons or rags? Let's talk about old fashioned!

I could go on forever but I will stand by my original answer of SUCK IT.

Exactly @@LipstickLady!!!

If I'm cheating or this is the easy way, I must be doing something wrong!! This is the hardest thing I've ever done in my life, but it's worth it. 3 months post op, down 44 pounds and still trucking along. 26 pounds to go...slow and steady.

....So, there's an easy way to fix fat? Is there an easy way to fix stupid? You should look in to it.

That right there is why I didn't tell people at work. Family and friends yes. They know me and love me and get me and supported me. The rest, I don't need the drama. ????

Oh the close-mindedness of some people ...

I get that too when people say "oh my gosh you've lost a lot of weight?! You look great! How did you do it?"

I smile the biggest smile and PROUDLY say " I had surgery in July" ...

THEN ...

their face goes blank and they say "oh"

I swear to God ... I wanna rub that blank look off their face and slap them into 2016 and say:

"You know ... sometimes people need HELP...and that is all my sleeve is ... is the HELP I had the BALLS to ask for ... It's not easy for some people to ask for HELP ... and I asked ... I believed ... and I received ... All the actual WORK that losing weight is about ... I am actually DOING ... it's not falling off on it's own ... DUH DUMBA$$"

I really wanna say that out loud sometime.

Throat Punch, seriously if someone said that today it would be so. Then I would buy them all the Protein shakes, since they could no longer swallow and ask them how much they like them the next few weeks.

I am cranky, I am sick of food and worrying about food. I feel like I need a damn noodle or a Frito chip. Riding my stationary bike is hurting my butt and I need to go buy new underwear, which I would rather eat glass but it probably has carbs.

I'm doing great and I don't regret my decision but today would not be the day to say such things.

OMGOSH .... I love your glass/carb analogy ... Made me smile and laugh and I needed it!!!

And it's articles like People mag January half their size issues while it's fantastic they did lose all the weight. People mag said they did it without "short cuts" this tells the general population that reads their mag and conditions them that anything other than the way they lost weight, is a short cut.

People magazine is not now not has it ever been an arbiter of what I do or don't do.

I am coming to realize that what WLS did for me was to give me the possibility of seeing my efforts produce results. Before WLS I put in a lot of effort for diminishing results. Now, my efforts are more effective.

Yep I totally get that. I even had a nurse on the second night I was at the hospital AFTER I had my sleeve done ask me-*so you tried all the other ways? you just had to do this??* I thought it was the drugs. I mean seriously she is questioning -a very serious decision I obviously made and just went through. Like what you couldn't do it like what everyone else does? oh wait they dont. It is annoying. That is why I didnt tell anyone except my husband. I dont need to be judged. good luck to you Lady!!

I just keep my mouth shut, tell no one, and get no crap. I have zero tolerance for criticism, or talk behind my back.

This mindset that so many people have about wls being the "easy way out" or a "magic cure" is exactly the reason I haven't told most people that I had surgery.

That is exactly my thoughts about not telling people outright. WLS is still viewed, by many, as "an easy out." My general response to them (excuse my language): "piss off."

Edited by jj7481

Just like your happiness comes from within & you shouldn't look to someone else to make you happy, or entertain you....look at wls the same way...it's something you did for you & no one else. You don't have to explain yourself to anyone. You have to take care of you...no one else will. I paid for mine as I didn't want to wait a year & jump thru hoops to qualify. My money, my body, my choice. I tell people that I have had surgery because it may help someone else make that decison if it's needed. Just like telling someone where you got your new dress or whatever, that they admire...they can go shop there too or not...I have nothing to be ashamed of. I am proud I did something for me, instead of putting someone else 1st, which many of us do. So if someone talks to you with that attitude, just shrug them off. You know who you are & what you did was right for you. Be proud you did something smart. There are a lot of idiots out there & you don't need them as friends...1 comment that always comes to mind when I meet idiots like this..."Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one"...heck, use it next time someone says something stupid to u...& hold your head up with pride. You haven't hurt anyone or anything with what u did! U have nothing to be ashamed of, angry about, or have to hide! Show them u have a backbone & they r the backward hicks that need to grow up

One other thing I forgot to add....they say u took the easy way out?....ask them why they don't do the same thing, if it's so easy......pretty stupid if they don't......

I read these posts and think, 'I'm so happy that I'm three years post op'.

What I mean by that is I've been this size more or less for the past year and a half. So my family, friends, co-workers, etc. don't say anything anymore. Not about weight at least. I still get compliments but they are more in the vein of the nice outfit I'm wearing or my new hairstyle, or some such thing. It's not about the weight I'm losing or have lost. It's a good place to be. I want the people in my life to forget the fat woman I was and get totally used to the size I am now. That to me is the definition of success.