Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stretched Sleeve

I attended an info seminar a month ago. The surgeon who did the presentation did say that a sleeve can stretch. I don't recall, however, whether she said anything about causes or whether it can happen spontaneously regardless of how diligent an individual has been.

Well, by golly, if someone can get by a seminar, or a support group at their bariatric hospital, can you ask about this please? My work shift prevents me from attending, but I really would like to know what the surgeons have to say about this. I was told it couldn't stretch, because the stretchy part had been removed, also.

My Bariatric surgeon told me the sleeve will stretch a little naturally over time, but will NEVER be the size it was before surgery.

That's the reason why it's so important to not just count on restriction after the initial honeymoon period. It's up to us to still eat responsibly and follow the rules basically for the rest of our lives. I know that sounds daunting, but it is what it is. We will naturally be able to eat more over time, no matter if you believe the sleeve stretches considerably or not.

Not blaming the OP for her gain at all. Gaining some weight after a few years post WLS seems to be the norm from what I've seen. No need to be bummed out or panic. Just be proactive. The further out we are, the harder it is. Like I said, it is what it is ;) I too, will have to prepare for the day. Boooo!

@@Kaila312 did they give you an estimated volume that your sleeve stretched to?

Seems to me it doesn't matter if it holds 4oz or 40oz, if you are staying around 1000 calories there has to be more to your regain than just sleeve size. Keep us posted.

@@HushxPuppyx that is a huge amount of food! I am 25 months out and I just did the cottage cheese test on my sleeve. I can eat about 7oz before I'm stuffed. When did you notice you could eat so much more food?

@@HushxPuppyx that is a huge amount of food! I am 25 months out and I just did the cottage cheese test on my sleeve. I can eat about 7oz before I'm stuffed. When did you notice you could eat so much more food?

...I noticed about 6 months ago...I still can get that sick, tight feeling after a slice of pizza, but it doesn't last and I can return 2 hrs later for a little bit more...I have no hunger pangs after I've eaten like that...but the old way that I used to eat is starting to slip back in.

...I noticed about 6 months ago...I still can get that sick, tight feeling after a slice of pizza, but it doesn't last and I can return 2 hrs later for a little bit more...I have no hunger pangs after I've eaten like that...but the old way that I used to eat is starting to slip back in.

Sounds more like grazing behavior than a stretched sleeve to me.

I hope it is just that...I had a little tuna and 4 small crackers for lunch yesterday then for my mom's bday dinner...a small slice of pizza hut meat lovers, 2 boneless wings, a small slice of cake and a little scoop of ice cream...full but not sick...

I hope it is just that...I had a little tuna and 4 small crackers for lunch yesterday then for my mom's bday dinner...a small slice of pizza hut meat lovers, 2 boneless wings, a small slice of cake and a little scoop of ice cream...full but not sick...

Cake and ice cream are sliders, so they really don't take up much room in your stomach for long, unfortunately. One piece of pizza and two wings is a sizable amount, but not enough where I would worry. I haven't tried pizza and wings together, but I can do one small slice with the crust and then the cheese and toppings off of another slice or two in one sitting. Since wings don't really have much meat on the, I'd think that's pretty comparable.

I've seen numerous posts here that run something like this:

"I've gained XX pounds. I don't understand why I've gained weight. I never overeat. I eat healthy food that's good for me. I don't binge. I estimate I'm eating XXXX calories a day, no more. Help!"

What this really means is:

"I've gained XX pounds. I have no clue how this happened, because I don't measure or weigh my food, I don't track or log my food, and I don't know how many calories or micronutrients I'm eating on a daily basis, much less over the long haul. Bottom line is I eat what I want when I want it. I'm astonished, because I expected my sleeve would stop me from gaining weight. I thought I was just supposed to eat less than I used to eat and to stop eating when I felt full and then eat more later when I didn't feel full. Oh, and since I don't weigh myself regularly, I had no idea until recently that I'd actually gained XX pounds. Help!"

I cannot believe what people are eating! pizza, wings, ice cream, cake? Of course we all will gain weight if those are the food choices we make. What happened to chicken breast, fish, and lean Protein first; vegetables second and then a little complex carbs?

I've seen numerous posts here that run something like this:

"I've gained XX pounds. I don't understand why I've gained weight. I never overeat. I eat healthy food that's good for me. I don't binge. I estimate I'm eating XXXX calories a day, no more. Help!"

What this really means is:

"I've gained XX pounds. I have no clue how this happened, because I don't measure or weigh my food, I don't track or log my food, and I don't know how many calories or micronutrients I'm eating on a daily basis, much less over the long haul. Bottom line is I eat what I want when I want it. I'm astonished, because I expected my sleeve would stop me from gaining weight. I thought I was just supposed to eat less than I used to eat and to stop eating when I felt full and then eat more later when I didn't feel full. Oh, and since I don't weigh myself regularly, I had no idea until recently that I'd actually gained XX pounds. Help!"

Other than the info I've thrown out here.. you don't know jack else...but go on...you're stupid know it all rant is entertaining :)

You mentioned that when you went back to eating the right kind of food and lost a few pounds, so I would say your sleeve is working as it should. Keep on eating the right kind of food (I don't know if you were in maintenence after your first loss or not, but if you were obviously reduce calories to go back into WL mode) and you should continue to see progress. I posted a video in this forum a couple of days ago about sleeve tolerance and stretching as you get further out from surgery that may be helpful to you.

Edited by perforce

Other than the info I've thrown out here.. you don't know jack else...but go on...you're stupid know it all rant is entertaining :)

Glad you liked it.

:)

Slow clap for the smart wench...yes, that will make you gain weight...good for you for following a healthy regime 24/7...u get a Protein Bar