Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stretched Sleeve

This is exactly why the lifetime commitment to changinging behaviors is so important for success. Patients need to be better informed about the long term realities of any WLS. Our lifestyle changes and eating habits are far more important than the physical changes of the surgery. Without the mental commitment the surgery itself is pointless. No one regains by staying on plan, excercising and making healthy food choices. I know if I regain any weight it is entirely my fault and a result of my behavior, not a "failed" sleeve.

The OP is living proof of how this works. Once "back on track" again, she is losing weight, stretched sleeve and all. Congrats, BTW!

Having WLS and grazing, overeating, or basically just consuming too many calories, is like a heart bypass patient continuing to eat poorly, smoke cigarettes and not excercise. Or a liver transplant recipient becoming an alcoholic. Their surgeries saved their lives but they are back killing themselves with their behaviors.

I did completely change my mindset and all that went with it. I take full responsibility for the weight gain I never said there wasn't a reason I had regained.

I'm just going to throw this out there and then I'm done with this thread....

To the OP, I'm sorry you're having to deal with sleeve issues. I can imagine how frustrating it would be trying to do this as if you still have a regular sized stomach, as I've tried a hundred times before my surgery. If it were me, I would move heaven and earth in pursuit of a revision. It sounds to me like it was surgeon error, not yours. I wish you well, and keep us posted!

To others in this thread, just because someone may call you out in your BS or disagree with you, doesn't mean they are a "troll" a "bully" " 9th grade girls" "hags" and so on. I find it funny the ones who complain how mean and nasty some people can be are the same ones who resort to name calling.

I thought we were all adults here, but obviously not. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the "ignore" option is a glorious thing. Don't like my posts? Instead of throwing a hissy fit every time I post about how mean and unsupportive I am, just put me on ignore so you don't have to see my posts anymore. I've done it, too! No tantrums, no name calling, no flouncing, just "ignore".

See how easy that is?

Have a great day everyone!

@babbs- I think it's clear to many people on here - it's not always what you say, it's HOW you say it. ????

@@bellabloom ...

Different strokes for different folks.

The ignore function was made for you. Really, just put @@Babbs on ignore. After all, that was exactly what she was suggesting that you do. :)

FTR, I also have several people here on ignore, who just irritate the snot out of me. Now, I never have to read their stuff, and I never feel compelled to respond in ways that would probably irritate the snot out of them, too.

Also FTR, how Babbs offers her observations and advice doesn't bother me one bit. I enjoy her style.

Different strokes for different folks.

Your stomach is a muscle and over time, it will stretch. With the GS, our stomach's are just reduced in size. What I don't understand is if you haven't overeaten, then why did it stretch. The sleeve procedure is still new and there isn't much information available past 5 years for it. Try not to get over stressed about your stomach stretching, because if you do reduce consumption, you should feel the capacity of your stomach shrink. Good luck and hang in there!

@@Kaila312 I am 3 years out, and I KNOW that my stomach is stretched. I haven't had an UGI, but I already know what it would show. I rarely overeat, and 90% of the time I maintain small portions and low calories. I do not get the same full sensation as I did post op. I was always one who could eat a little more than others, though clearly I couldn't eat a lot.

I still have to weigh and measure my food. On the occasions where I indulge, I don't weigh/measure (these occasions are not frequent) I estimate I can eat about 2 cups. That is no where near as much before surgery, but it's certainly enough to allow enough food and calories to gain quickly. I miss the early days when 1/2 cup was enough. It was a lot easier to stay on track.

That said, I haven't gained a significant amount of weight, but I gained 2 pounds during a 4 day vacation in September, and another 4 over the holidays. It scares me out of my mind, and I'm working to get it off, but it's stubborn. I am not going to let it get away from me, but it's really all up to me, now. I think I have 75% my effort, and about 25% help from the sleeve, since hunger is back but not like before surgery. I suspect some day, it will be. I keep thinking I need a "tweak" but my doc doesn't do revisions. Honestly, I don't want another surgery, so I just keep fighting the fight, just like people of a near normal weight who have to watch what they eat.

I will be anxious to hear what your surgeon says.

I just spoke with my Doctors office. They said your stomach naturally stretches over time, not back to original. They told me to do the liver reduction diet for a week to 2 weeks and this should get my sleeve back into shape.

I truly believe any of the weight loss surgeries are just a tool and not a permanent solution. Any of us who struggle with our weight, will always have to work at it. I live in New Orleans and we "Live to Eat, rather than Eating to Live". Good luck and keep up your hard work!

@@Kaila312 I am 3 years out, and I KNOW that my stomach is stretched. I haven't had an UGI, but I already know what it would show. I rarely overeat, and 90% of the time I maintain small portions and low calories. I do not get the same full sensation as I did post op. I was always one who could eat a little more than others, though clearly I couldn't eat a lot.

I still have to weigh and measure my food. On the occasions where I indulge, I don't weigh/measure (these occasions are not frequent) I estimate I can eat about 2 cups. That is no where near as much before surgery, but it's certainly enough to allow enough food and calories to gain quickly. I miss the early days when 1/2 cup was enough. It was a lot easier to stay on track.

That said, I haven't gained a significant amount of weight, but I gained 2 pounds during a 4 day vacation in September, and another 4 over the holidays. It scares me out of my mind, and I'm working to get it off, but it's stubborn. I am not going to let it get away from me, but it's really all up to me, now. I think I have 75% my effort, and about 25% help from the sleeve, since hunger is back but not like before surgery. I suspect some day, it will be. I keep thinking I need a "tweak" but my doc doesn't do revisions. Honestly, I don't want another surgery, so I just keep fighting the fight, just like people of a near normal weight who have to watch what they eat.

I will be anxious to hear what your surgeon says.

@@emk101009

Liver Reduction Diet??? What's this?

@@emk101009

Liver Reduction Diet??? What's this?

The pre-OP liquid diet.

Ok, I didn't have to do any pre-op diet, but I can understand liquid diet.< /p>

@@Leslie11 you are smart to realize that WLS is not a static result. I truthfully didn't realize that the effect would change over time to the extent it has. I'm not saying I still do not get benefit from it, because I do. I just was a little surprised. However, it did get my weight to a normal range, and now I can manage it. Before surgery, the weight would not come off at all, and the amount I had to lose was overwhelming, so it was absolutely worth it!

By the way, we eat way too much in Michigan, too! And it's winter a long time, which only makes matters worse! Congratulations on your recent surgery, and wishing you great success!

I can't wrap my head around this! Half hour later and I'm still thinking it thru. How does a stomach stretch if you follow the program. I did a lot of research too and came across people who gained weight back, but they also admitted they fell off the program and found ways to eat around their sleeve (i.e. ice cream). OP hasn't, at least not long term anyway per her above post.

OP. Please keep us updated. Did your radiologist make this statement off of comparison to a prior image of your sleeve?

That was what my research found as well. People eating around their sleeve: grazing, eating slider foods, eating and drinking at the same time, drinking their calories... This sleeve stretching as a real, actual thing and not just a myth is news to me. Everything I'd ever read led me to believe that stretching the sleeve significantly enough to really make a difference was impossible. I am very curious to hear more about the OP's journey. What potentially caused the stretching, how significant is the stretching, and whether or not anything can be done after the fact.

I consulted three surgeons before making this decision. They all had very different outlooks on things, but the one issue they agreed on is that sleeves don't stretch if they are done properly. A well cut sleeve removes the majority of the fundus (the stretchy part) and leave mostly muscle (which does not stretch). If the surgeon leave a lot of fundus, that CAN stretch, but the sleeve was not done correctly.

I am almost three years out and cannot eat more than 1/2-3/4 cup at a sitting. I've not always been perfect on my plan and I've gained weight from time to time but my PORTION SIZE has never increased because I physically cannot eat more. My weight gain has always been because of carbs and grazing.

@@HushxPuppyx that is a huge amount of food! I am 25 months out and I just did the cottage cheese test on my sleeve. I can eat about 7oz before I'm stuffed. When did you notice you could eat so much more food?

...I noticed about 6 months ago...I still can get that sick, tight feeling after a slice of pizza, but it doesn't last and I can return 2 hrs later for a little bit more...I have no hunger pangs after I've eaten like that...but the old way that I used to eat is starting to slip back in.

I have VERY good restriction -- better than most people -- and I, too, can eat a whole pizza if I go back every two hours for a slice. That's not stretch, that's grazing.

I've seen numerous posts here that run something like this:

"I've gained XX pounds. I don't understand why I've gained weight. I never overeat. I eat healthy food that's good for me. I don't binge. I estimate I'm eating XXXX calories a day, no more. Help!"

What this really means is:

"I've gained XX pounds. I have no clue how this happened, because I don't measure or weigh my food, I don't track or log my food, and I don't know how many calories or micronutrients I'm eating on a daily basis, much less over the long haul. Bottom line is I eat what I want when I want it. I'm astonished, because I expected my sleeve would stop me from gaining weight. I thought I was just supposed to eat less than I used to eat and to stop eating when I felt full and then eat more later when I didn't feel full. Oh, and since I don't weigh myself regularly, I had no idea until recently that I'd actually gained XX pounds. Help!"

Other than the info I've thrown out here.. you don't know jack else...but go on...you're stupid know it all rant is entertaining :)

Ahhh....going the mature name calling route, are we? ;)

Slow clap for the smart wench...yes, that will make you gain weight...good for you for following a healthy regime 24/7...u get a Protein bar

:)

:)

As a host of this forum, I will kindly ask you to refer to the guidelines of this forum and refrain from name calling and personal attacks. Thanks!