Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who Started This "Bone Broth" Nonsense?

It's called stock. Stock is made when you boil bones. broth is made when you boil meat or veggies.

I don't like the taste of "bone broth" (stock). It especially turns me off when it's called "bone broth".

Stock is typically simmered for a moderate amount of time (3 to 4 hours). Bone broth is typically made with bones (and can include veggies as well) and can contain a small amount of meat adhering to the bones. As with stock, bones are typically roasted first to improve the flavor of the Bone Broth.< /span>

The bone broth thing was to differentiate between cooking it the typical short time (3-4 hours), and over 24 hours to break down the cartilage, marrow and tendons. That's all that good stuff that the less cooked broth/stock doesn't contain (or if it does, not in very high quantities).

There is a difference. I know it's trendy now and likely called "bone broth" when it was just plain ol' broth/stock once upon a time, but there is a definite distinction between regular old stock/broth and bone broth.

Edited by FrankiesGirl

Bone broth provides a greater quantity of natural Gelatin, which provides nutrients needed by hair, skin, and nails. Daily broth may have been a contributor to the fact that I did not lose any hair post-op. Bone Broth will set like Gelatin when it has cooled.

Both broth is thicker and has more bits floating around in it. To me, broth is only meat-flavored Water that is better for your recipes than the salty boullioun products from the grocery.

There is just something about that flavor I don't like. I'm pretty picky though. As big as I was....I was always picky that way!

The bone broth thing was to differentiate between cooking it the typical short time (3-4 hours), and over 24 hours to break down the cartilage, marrow and tendons. That's all that good stuff that the less cooked broth/stock doesn't contain (or if it does, not in very high quantities).

There is a difference. I know it's trendy now and likely called "bone broth" when it was just plain ol' broth/stock once upon a time, but there is a definite distinction between regular old stock/broth and Bone Broth.< /p>

"Bone broth" is just stock in my house ... when I make stock, I cook it for much longer than 3-4 hours: I make it the way my grandmother did, and the way she taught my dad (my mother was a terrible cook). The bones are roasted, then chucked in to brew for at least 24 hours with carrot, onion, maybe some celery, and herbs. My grandmother and father always did theirs on the coal range, so the big old stock pot would just sit at the back of the cook top, simmering away. Sometimes for a couple of days!

How funny I am making some today! Hubby woke up sick so I'm cooking a chicken to later make chicken Soup then I'll use the bones to make a broth overnight in the crockpot (I've been collecting bones but should finally have enough). I used to use store-bought broth until I started eating cleaner and made my own for the first time. Never went back. The difference in flavor...is incomparable.

@@dbfn that's the way I make it, too, and how it's taught in cooking school. We have a wood stove and sometimes I have a big stock pot going there -- every one who comes into the house swoons. Right now in the freezer we have lamb broth, beef broth and turkey/chicken broth -- all organic and homemade with lots of veggies. I gave up making fish broth -- just too stinky in the house.

Well, I successfully made my first crock pot full of beef Bone Broth. I love it! I'm definitely making more in the future....you know like this weekend future! Lol