Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post sleeve comfort foods -roll call!

I recently discovered ProYo where I shop. It's a high Protein frozen yogurt pushup treat. They're too high in sugar to have every day but they are a great occasional treat.

Yo, ProYo! JohnZ54, is there any soy in this treat? I am EXTREMELY allergic to soy and the damn stuff is in just about everything. Thank YOU.

Valentina

My fav comfort foods lately ...

meat & spinach crustless quiche - hot out of the oven!

meatloaf

chili

spaghetti squash w/ meatballs

And for drinks ... anything with cinnamon!

It is soy and gluten free.

I recently discovered ProYo where I shop. It's a high Protein frozen yogurt pushup treat. They're too high in sugar to have every day but they are a great occasional treat.

Yo, ProYo! JohnZ54, is there any soy in this treat? I am EXTREMELY allergic to soy and the damn stuff is in just about everything. Thank YOU.

Valentina

Nutritional yeast is a godsend. It makes salad taste like bread. Sprinkle it on like Parmesan cheese and enjoy the hit of Iron and Protein. Any health food store will have it in bulk foods. It is raised commonly on molasses, which is high in Iron, but the little buggers digest some of this iron which makes it easier for people to digest. Also it has thiamine, necessary for preventing cognitive impairment, especially in RNY patients. Did I mention it makes everything taste like bread?

So, if I sprinkled nutritional yeast onto my cauliflower instead of parm. cheese, what would the taste be? What would be the benefits/drawbacks? Now you have my curiosity going! :)

Well, there is zero fat, and higher iron, and that benefit of making veg taste like bread....

Taco beef with low fat cheddar, avocado, salsa, and cottage cheese. Oh goodness it's so good! I used to eat this before with lettuce as a salad, so glad it's something I can eat without problems and it's loaded with Protein.

Shepherds pie made with cauliflower mash

A burger patty with cheese and avocado

chicken scampi, without the Pasta

I'm avoiding bread and Pasta but for the most part I'm still eating foods I loved before, the recipes just have to be tweaked a little bit here and there!

Now Foods sugar free Hot Cocoa

Keto Mini Cheesecakes

Cheeseburgers (no bun)

Curry Shrimp with cauliflower rice.

Shrimp and Cauliflower grits

I tried this "pizza" with cauliflower crust...not too shabby. It definitely helped me out when the rest of the family was eating delicious take-out pizza from one of my favorite local joints, even if I could only eat a little bit.

http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Low-Carb-Cauliflower-Crust-Pizza-Recipe-30739512

I also tried Taco Bell(I know, awful! It is definitely NOT going to be an ongoing event). I ate the guts of one soft shell taco and threw the tortilla away.

Edited by tera1982

Nutritional yeast is a godsend. It makes salad taste like bread. Sprinkle it on like Parmesan cheese and enjoy the hit of Iron and Protein. Any health food store will have it in bulk foods. It is raised commonly on molasses, which is high in Iron, but the little buggers digest some of this iron which makes it easier for people to digest. Also it has thiamine, necessary for preventing cognitive impairment, especially in RNY patients. Did I mention it makes everything taste like bread?

So, if I sprinkled nutritional yeast onto my cauliflower instead of parm. cheese, what would the taste be? What would be the benefits/drawbacks? Now you have my curiosity going! :)

Well, there is zero fat, and higher iron, and that benefit of making veg taste like bread....

thank you! I found some nutritional yeast today--not an easy task by any means here is rural NY state. I didn't want to order it online until I had tried it. I finally found it at the "artsy fartsy store on the state college campus. I felt a wee out of place not having any dreadlocks...

I put some on my cauliflower from last night and some on my spinach salad. You're right, I made bite have a "breadsy" taste .(Is "breadsy" a real word?) Anyway, you get the idea.

My teeth kept looking for the croutons...

Thank you again for this treasure. It sure will add some variety to the ol' taste buds.

I just had to order nutritional yeast after reading this thread - can't wait to try it on my cauliflower! Thanks all!

I just had to order nutritional yeast after reading this thread - can't wait to try it on my cauliflower! Thanks all!

I ordered a nutritional yeast cookbook online. I'm really looking forward to seeing what I can do with new-found taste treat. I'll let you know if you'd like to know about it.

It is yummy! Here is a recipe with cauliflower and nutritional yeast that I have been making for years:

http://www.delightedmomma.com/2013/01/cheesy-baked-cauliflower-poppers-dairy.html

It is yummy! Here is a recipe with cauliflower and nutritional yeast that I have been making for years:

http://www.delightedmomma.com/2013/01/cheesy-baked-cauliflower-poppers-dairy.html

Thank you! Guess what's for dinner tonight?? :)

I make a huge pot of turkey chili every week and keep half in the fridge and freeze the other half. It has Protein and Fiber from the Beans. I don't make it spicy. I love having it by itself or on a salad taco salad style. I find it reassuring to have in the fridge knowing there is something there I can eat without problems that is good for me. I haven't tired of it yet.

@@Emilie.Lancaster,

Great topic!

My recent comfort foods tend to be casseroles. They’re easy to make with whatever you have on hand, you can make them healthy, and they’re comforting because…they just are. :) I love baking spinach, eggs, and whatever other vegetable or Protein is around, and digging in!

And yes, some of those frozen dinners do the trick. They may not be the healthiest ever, but they are sure better than “the real thing,” especially because they come in single serving portions! Sometimes I go for those tiny bean burritos and even just eat the filling – they taste like they’re old-fashioned junk food, but they are so small they can’t be too bad! I like making dips, too, out of vegetables. I leave them chunky, maybe add some parmesan cheese for flavor, and feel like I’m eating something decadent.