Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Adding Swimming to my Exercise Routine

With some recent knee problems (osteoarthritis) I have been advised to add swimming to my exercise routine to replace the elliptical machine and treadmill. I finally got in the pool today and swam some laps. There were no issues with my knee while swimming - Yaaah!

It's been a while since I swam for exercise and I need some advice on how to add swimming to my routine. For example:

- Can I swim after lifting weights?

- Should I swim before lifting weights?

- Should I swim only on days when I am not lifting weights?

- On days when I swim should that be the only exercise of the day (i.e. not added to other cardio like rowing)?

- In the pool I noticed people holding onto styrofoam floats just kicking and not using their arms. What's going on with this?

- In the pool I also saw an older gentleman walking for about half a lap and then swim for the rest of the lap. This may be my speed these days. Has anyone ever tried this and what are the advantages of this technique?

Sorry for all the questions, but I really am clueless about swimming.

Hi,

Yes to every question.

If you want to get something out of a swim workout, and not get bored, there are tons of things you can do. There are multiple strokes and drills that will work on all parts of the body.

"Toys" or training aids can also help develop not just technique but to give certain body parts a break. Fins, pull buoys, kick boards, paddles, all will help develop tone and muscle. I'd say it would help for you to do various types of kicks because the weights will develop the upper body more so than anything else. Swimming also requires a good core. Cardio wise, having to hold your breath to do various strokes also helps.

Lap walking is something many older people do. You might like it, one of the problems with it is that it helps your legs a bit but doesn't do anything for the rest of you (at least not like full body swimming will).

Can you give us an idea of how well you can swim?

Can you give us an idea of how well you can swim?

I am not a strong swimmer. As a child I took red cross swimming classes, classes at the local Y, and classes at the swim club in the Summer. However, now at 58 y.o. I have some knee and foot issues that will keep me from participating in triathlons. My hope is that swimming along with physical therapy will help my knee and keep me from needing surgery.

My gym does have a whole assortment of pool toys. I may try the kick board the next time I am in the pool. They have a pool toy made out of white PVC pipe and I have no clue what to do with it. I may sign up for an aquatics class to get better acquainted with the pool.

I appreciate you sharing your swimming knowledge.

Is the pool toy like a noodle?

Anything I can do to help. Can you tell us whether or not you can freestyle, head in the Water? If you can tell us things like if you do back or breast or fly, etc. those are things that can help.

Victoria

I googled the pool toy I saw and it is called a

KIEFER SWIM AND THERAPY PLATFORM

I'm still not sure how it works.

You have been very helpful so far. I can't do fly and don't want to do back. I can do breast and freestyle with my head in the Water. My preference is for warm salt Water and white sandy beaches (heading to the Dominican Republic in February), but I will give chlorine pools a try.

Swimming is the only exercise I've done since my VSg surgery in May. Just about any kind of exercise you can do on land can also be done in Water. Besides swimming check out water Zumba, water aerobics, water yoga and other things like water walking, water weights ( yes they have those made of styrofoam and the water adds weight to them. The water itself is a resistance tool which you can use to become leaner and toned. Water based exercise has allowed me to strengthen my knees and joints, not to mention increase my endurance. Our gym has water treadmills too. Can't wait to try that!

I am a huge fan of any kind of swimming and Aqua exercise. Currently I swim laps (can only really propel myself with backstroke), do Water weights/ab work, and take occasional Water aerobics classes.

If you are new to swimming and water fitness you might want to consider taking some water aerobics classes or even sign up for a private lesson or two to get some tips. I am also sure the pool staff can give you some tips or ideas.

You can do all sorts of exercises with weights, noodles, kick boards, etc.

I've learned a lot of exercises and techniques throughout the years just taking a variety of water aerobics classes.

I know what that is. We have only used it for kids as a platform. For example the kids are 3 feet tall but we only have a 4 ft end pool.

Tell me how you know you can't do fly? It will help to develop your leg strength. Back is going to do a lot to help the shoulders from getting overworked. The motion is changed on the arms. The legs take a different path.

I would agree on the beaches and the like, the problem is that if you are a pool swimmer, trying to see where you flipturn is is tough in the Water. LOL. You get the same issue during triathlons. Have you considered that? That would be ideal.

I use the XL foam dumbbells and do a series of 13 exercises in deep Water, all are related to muscle strengthening and flexibility. Then, I do laps focused on backstroke, side stroke, and a small amount of crawl or breast stroke. The 13 exercises were adapted from PT I had after back surgery, I also do some deep Water swimming, down 6-10 feet, as it seems to strengthen me in ways that surface swimming does not, and builds wind. I also pretend I am Jacque Cousteau....

I have had some shoulder tendonitis and have had to stop swimming for two months, but with PT can start swimming again next month!!! YES!

Shoulders are frequent in swimming. I'm glad you are going to be able to get back into it.

:)

I used to do Water aerobics and loved them. As I got fitter I moved onto other activities. It has been suggested I take up lap swimming, but I am not a great swimmer and I hate chlorine. Very vain about my hair. ,

I used to do Water aerobics and loved them. As I got fitter I moved onto other activities. It has been suggested I take up lap swimming, but I am not a great swimmer and I hate chlorine. Very vain about my hair. ,

My swim cap is my friend! Plus, both pools I swim in are salt water do the chlorine isn't as strong.

the pool is so fun. I Water walk for half hour or so, then Water aerobics. the next day I cycle, walk, and treadmill .I try to go to the ymca bout 4or 5days a week. I stll have chronic pain that's with me always. but I still keep pushing.

Tell me how you know you can't do fly? It will help to develop your leg strength. Back is going to do a lot to help the shoulders from getting overworked. The motion is changed on the arms. The legs take a different path.

I never learned to do the fly. I do get your point about mixing things up a bit to avoid overworking body parts. I am still at the early stage of including swimming as part of exercising and will figure out what works best for me.

Ah, there are some good youtube videos of the Olympic people doing it. I have a coach, but you can get a lot out of the youtube videos. USMS US Masters Swimming also has articles and the like that can help you, those better ones are in their magazines that members get.

I do believe Speedo has videos also on techniques.

First thing, you have some basics down but you can always work on elbows and hand position, leg and hip strength on crawl. Breathing techniques. Lots of things to do just on one stroke alone. Most places also allow you to borrow a kick board and possibly pull buoy. You can buy them pretty cheap online. Hopefully this is ok but swimoutlet is one place and there are several others.

Local swim stores can be good, those devoted to swimming and not just a sporting goods store.