Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I absolutely regret having this surgery

Sure there are known benefits to having this surgery but I must admit it's not a solution for everybody-and had I known I'd spend my days sick to my stomach at the very thought/smell of food I would have never opted for the surgery...I'm 3 weeks post op and miserable...I can't keep anything down, I'm dehydrated all the time...I can only take 1 bite of any sort of food I attempt to eat...I'm nauseated every single day...I just hate it guys...and I don't mean to be discouraging but I look to these forums to vent my frustration...I've lost about 30 lbs since my surgery date (12/28/15) and that's awesome but the overall feeling I have everyday just sucks...I'm not sure the nausea and vomiting will go away...does anyone else have these ill feelings?

My surgery was 12/28 also. I hope everything gets better for you soon. Call your surgeon if it doesn't get better by the end of the week.

Have you called your surgeon? They can give you something for the nausea and can check into why you are vomiting so much. That is not normal.

Being dehydrated itself can cause nausea headache and vomiting. You need some help with this and should not be feeling so poorly 3 weeks out.

yes id be looking at serious dehydration, that causes your symptoms exactly. How much Water are you geting in? what kind of diet are you working with?

What surgery did you have?

At three weeks are you still on purees? Or are you trying to eat regular food?

I agree! Call your surgeon and if he blows you off, insist you be seen. That is not normal and needs to be corrected. I am so sorry! Who was your surgeon?

If you read through the forums, most people are fairly miserable the first month after surgery. I was. I remember sobbing on the phone to my best friend, one of only 3 people who know I had the surgery that I had "ruined my life". Who in their right mind has their stomach cut out and what the f was I thinking?

In terms of dehydration, use a straw. It was the only way I could get enough Fluid in and it doesn't hurt you despite the fact that they tell you not to drink with one. Once your dehydration is resolved, the nausea should also start to clear up. If you can't get enough calories in, drink pressed juice (the vegetable variety, not the kind laden with sugary fruit). Not only will you be increasing your Fluid intake but you're getting a lot of immune boosting Vitamins and nutrition as well. You're going to feel crappy for a few weeks, so you have to figure out ways to work with it.

I am now 2 weeks short of 2.5 years post-op and it was all worth it. I developed a minor stricture, so I am one of the very few people who not only has a sleeve that hates the "good stuff" (sugar, oils, fried foods, milk) but that also is really picky about how much and how thoroughly I chew things. From the 1-2 year mark I barfed almost everyday, however since that point I now know almost exactly what kind of food is going to make me sick, so I don't eat it. I still barf a few times a week because randomly my stomach will hate the granola bar it has never had a problem with or I'll eat a handful of crackers that never make me sick and 5 minutes later I'm heaving. Ultimately, while I had an easy recovery with no major complications, I get to spend probably the rest of my life avoiding food that tastes good, which is fine with me because I no longer have any cravings or any desire to eat unhealthy stuff, and randomly barfing if I eat when I am nervous, in a hurry, or some other random offense that my stomach deems worthy of barfing over. This is the absolute minority of people who have this issue.

Despite this, I do not regret my sleeve for a second and once you get past the initial phase, I really doubt that you will either. I now wear a size 0 in designer labels and I can say that every time I barfed, all the tears after surgery, and the whole liquid diet misery was completely worth it.

Fingers crossed you begin to feel better soon!

Hope you feel better. I was one of those that were nauseated and vomiting for a while after surgery. I was prescribed some liquid meds to take after calling my surgeon nurse's hotline. Call them even after hours and let them know. I know you feel miserable right now but with good care you will be feeling better and forget these moments. I attributed my nausea to the anesthesia i was given and until it wore out of my body i was sluggish and nauseated. Stay hydrated even with Popsicles. Praying for your quick recovery.

Sure there are known benefits to having this surgery but I must admit it's not a solution for everybody-and had I known I'd spend my days sick to my stomach at the very thought/smell of food I would have never opted for the surgery...I'm 3 weeks post op and miserable...I can't keep anything down, I'm dehydrated all the time...I can only take 1 bite of any sort of food I attempt to eat...I'm nauseated every single day...I just hate it guys...and I don't mean to be discouraging but I look to these forums to vent my frustration...I've lost about 30 lbs since my surgery date (12/28/15) and that's awesome but the overall feeling I have everyday just sucks...I'm not sure the nausea and vomiting will go away...does anyone else have these ill feelings?

Hope you feel better. I was one of those that were nauseated and vomiting for a while after surgery. I was prescribed some liquid meds to take after calling my surgeon nurse's hotline. Call them even after hours and let them know. I know you feel miserable right now but with good care you will be feeling better and forget these moments. I attributed my nausea to the anesthesia i was given and until it wore out of my body i was sluggish and nauseated. Stay hydrated even with Popsicles. AGREED

Fluid in lungs is a potential complication of many surgical procedures & was mentioned by my surgeon prior to surgery Shortness of breath & nausea can cause gagging & one risks damaging sutures/stitches/staples if this is the case.

If as bad as suggested why have you not consulted your doctor/s?

My surgeon gave me his personal cell phone number & suggested he be called @ any time should the need arise. It didn't.

Nothing like this surgery has immediate feelings of euphoria & well being [after the anesthetic wears off completely].

You will feel better as most of us did some earlier than others.

BUT for now get the doctor you used to check things out & advise then let us know what the result is.

I understand how you feel. I'm four weeks postop and I was miserable for three weeks. I had the nausea and fatigue and couldn't get a lot of fluids down. Biggest thing that helped was my doctor told me to increase the nausea meds to every four hours. He also prescribed an inhaler bc I was so short of breath. Another thing that added to my misery was that I was constipated...milk of magnesium helped. Believe me, being constipated will make you miserable. Definitely talk to your doctor and nutritionist. I regretted this for three weeks, day in and day out. I didn't think I would get better...but you know what? Each day gets better.

As another has asked, what exactly are you trying to eat? At three weeks you should be in the soft food stage at most and are not ready for normal food.

You should embrace the restriction. That's the whole point of it. That's the sleeve doing it's job.

As far as drinking, at this stage you have to take very small sips all day long. With time your stomach will heal. When it does you will be able to eat more and drink more.

Did you do a pre-op diet?

Get IV fluids and update us on how you feel.

Gotta be honest, I didn't quite feel human about the first 8-12 weeks but look at me now-loving life as a trim person...I was sleeved 4years ago and would definitely do it again in a heartbeat!