Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Lap-Bandee - Welcomes Guidance

Hello everyone:

I am a new Lap-Bandee just less than a month post op (surgery date 12/19/15). I need as much guidance from you all in order to make my weight loss a huge success. I just had my first fill this morning and thus far - I am feeling great.

Since my surgery date - I am only down 10lbs - should it be more than this? Perhaps, I am doing something wrong. Please help!!!!!!!!!

I welcome guidance.................

Thank You,

SBennette

It took me 3 months with 3 good fills before my band started to perform as I had anticipated, and then I started to lose weight consistently, on a weekly basis and continued to do so until my body reached what it considered to be optimal.

I even gained weight within those first few months because the best I could do was standard dieting practices like counting calories, measuring portions, etc.

And that was something I am not good at, having failed countless times...if I was good at that, then I would not have needed surgery.

Average weight loss with the lap band is 1-2 lbs. a week. Keep that in mind and you will see that you are doing just fine. Don't wonder if you are doing something wrong based on the scale. If you are following the basic lapband tenents of Protein first, fluids (water), exercise, and making healthy choices, you will be successful. Good luck and welcome to 'the other side' as we like to call it.

Thank you both for responding. I truly appreciate it. I will continue to do what I am doing and just be patient. Any suggestions for a Protein Bar that actually is high in protein/low sugar that doesn't taste like I am eating chalk?

Thank you both for responding. I truly appreciate it. I will continue to do what I am doing and just be patient. Any suggestions for a Protein bar that actually is high in protein/low sugar that doesn't taste like I am eating chalk?

Hi there fellow Floridian,

Congratulations on getting banded. I agree with the other posters that being patient is a good thing.

Everyone loses weight at different speeds. For me, I decided to change all of my eating habits drastically when I was banded. I followed my doctor's food suggestions very strictly. I found that eating real food (mostly Protein and veggies) was the key, along with writing down everything I put in my mouth :-).

I am one of those people who does weigh every day, but some people get discouraged since weight loss is not instant, so focusing on weekly goals is probably more realistic.

Good luck!

Thank you Kathousefl for responding as well as your well wishes. How often did you get a fill? I understand it is primarily based on how we feel individually in terms of weight loss as well as hunger levels in between meals, but I just wanted to have an idea.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Thank you Kathousefl for responding as well as your well wishes. How often did you get a fill? I understand it is primarily based on how we feel individually in terms of weight loss as well as hunger levels in between meals, but I just wanted to have an idea.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

That is an interesting question. My surgeon was/is really big on follow up. I saw him once a month for the first year and then once every two months after that. I was getting fills at the beginning pretty regularly, but I honestly do not recall how much and how often. I went for a while without getting any, but recently had a two small fills. It really does fluctuate by person You don't want to be too tight though.

For me, having regular follow up appointments, with or without fills, was very important.

Hi there, I am some one who needed several fills to reach the Green Zone. For me the time in-between fills was really important because I had to address the behavior modification -- was such a fast eater, big bites, etc. I had to learn (sometimes the hard way) to eat slowly and chew, chew, chew. The scale turned out not to be the best measurement for me -- it was the pants falling off, over and over again. I went from a size 18 Lee long jeans to the very same brand in a size 10. I could still stand to lose some weight but I'm pretty fine where I am. Good luck -- you're doing great!

@@SBennette38 meant to say that, for me, Protein Bars are a slider food. Identifying our sliders is an important part of the process. I have the links to a couple of sources that really helped me -- Dr. Simpson's web site and the O'Brien 8 Golden Rule youtube videos. Maybe they will help you, too. Sliders are things that go right down. I love Greek yogurt and that's a good food for me but I have to put some nuts and Cereal in it (mix-ins!) in order for it to be "chewable." It's really all about the chewing -- that's what signals the brain for satiety. Getting that hunger monster off of my back was the best thing I ever did.

Thanks to you all for such great feedback today. Bandista I was able to check out the youtube videos - extremely informative I may add. What is everyone's take on having at least a glass of wine post lab band? Have you done it?

For a long time, I avoided all complex carbs and sugar, which included alcohol. I am not a big drinker, so it was not a big deal for me not to have any. Technically you can have anything you want :-). Being mindful of the calories is important though, especially if you like to snack while drinking or like to drink a bottle of wine instead of a glass.

I may have been overly cautious, but during my pre-surgery seminars, one of the nurses made a big deal about the fact that many people don't lose weight because they drink their calories. She told a story about a patient who was upset that she was not losing weight, but she refused to give up her multiple sugary coffees.

I found little ways to reward myself, but I am now way more conscious about ingredients, Protein levels and carb levels than I ever was.

Thanks again for your response. Everything you mentioned, I have heard and/or read and it all makes sense to just simply stay clear and remain focused.

as far as alcohol goes...I stay away from drinks with high calorie additives and also anything carbonated. So..it's mostly wine I drink. I do so sparingly for the most part and this works for me...but I didn't really start drinking wine till I was around six months or so post WLS.

Thank you both for responding. I truly appreciate it. I will continue to do what I am doing and just be patient. Any suggestions for a Protein bar that actually is high in protein/low sugar that doesn't taste like I am eating chalk?

I love Premier Protein Bars. I get mine at BJ's. 18 bars for about $17. It comes in a variety pack with 3 flavors: Peanut Butter crunch, chocolate Peanut Butter and yogurt peanut crunch. They have a lot of other flavors but these are the 3 that come in the variety pack. You can also find them at Walmart and they sell them by the bar for about $2/bar.

I find them to be very tasty and honestly have them quite a bit for Breakfast throughout my weight loss. I'll list the basic info so you have an idea if you want to try them. I know they're a bit high in carbs and at 1st I was very leery about that. But I've lost 150lbs so they couldn't have 'hurt' my weight loss that bad.

Calories: 290-300 depending on flavor

Protein: 30g

Sugar: 9g

Fat: 10g

Cabs: 24g

Hello all , I just got my lap band Wednesday , just need to be guided with what is the difference with the amount on fills. -and the green zone