Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Family likes to eat out

The funny thing is Soup.. It fills me up super quick and the mix of liquid and solid stuff can be problematic if I don't go slowly. I have seen posts on this before I and I have always wondered how the "no drinking" rule applies to a broth based Soups... Doesn't Soup inherently violate the "no drinking while eating" rule? :blink:

I was told no soup after the liquid diet phases, because it really is just drinking your calories. If I do chili or some chowder or something, I always eat the solid bits and leave the liquidy parts in the bowl/cup.

I guess I should have said I wasn't supposed to drink before I eat. I'm supposed to wait 15 minutes after drinking before I eat per my guidelines. I honestly have never tried to do it, as I was told not to, so I'm not sure if I would have an issue. In the instance above I just boxed it up and took it home.

Early on I was instructed not to drink 5 minutes before eating, because the swelling could case some Water to stay in the stomach longer and make you feel too "full" to eat, but once the swelling was down, I was cleared to drink right up to the time I started eating. I still have to wait at least 20 minutes after eating (I usually wait closer to 45) before drinking again.

I've found it doesn't phase the wait staff at all. LOL after hearing my sister in law with all her "special requests" my order is a piece of cake. Worst part of dining out is my family all trying to help me find something to eat. One time nothing struck me as something I wanted so I just had a beverage. I thought they were all going to blow a gasket. Anyway, thankfully they've all calmed down and if there isn't something on the menu the kitchen can usually cook something to order. I eat what I can/want and take the rest home for another meal or if one of my nephews is along there are never any leftovers which works out too.

faze not phase

readyforachange 84,

That can be a tough one at the beginning, but you can manage! I believe that if you act like it’s a weird and uncomfortable thing, your family will, too. If you act like it’s totally normal and you’re looking forward to the time with them, they’ll be a lot more at ease.

As some have suggested, you can probably find something to order that’s on your meal plan. It may be on the menu; it may not. Maybe you’ll have to ask for a scoop of tuna or cottage cheese or a hard-boiled egg, for example.

If you’re not feeling confident about getting food from the restaurant, just bring your own small portion of a meal with you to the restaurant and eat it while everyone else eats their meal. Or, just sip on ice Water or Decaf unsweetened iced tea.

It’s completely up to you, and you can make it a good situation. Just be positive, and the others around you will be, too.

At first it is a little weird but eventually you will find your groove when eating out. I learned not to get anything but Water to drink because it was a waste for me to get anything else. Also, healthier appetizer and sides are something I usually gravitate towards. When I do get a regular meal I always end up taking some home and if I don't eat it I know my bf will.

My family goes thru stages where we eat out a lot…My husband has gotten in the habit of asking me what I want and we'll split an entrée. If we don't want the same thing or he is especially hungry, I'll look at the appetizer menu. If that doesn't look good, I will order my own entree, eat about 1/3 of it and take the rest home.

Early on, it was more difficult because I was trying to learn how to do things - you will get the hang of it. You get more comfortable telling the waiter that you're splitting an entree. Right after surgery, I would have a shake prior to going out and it didn't bother me that everyone around me was eating and I was sipping a coffee (approved by my doc).

I'm just learning to eat out. I've found that family style restaurants work well. I've gotten just Soup or just scrambled eggs (I'm just over a month out). I did get some baked fish and took the extras home. No biggie.

My concern is when going on vacation and it's not practical to take home a doggy bag. Hubby will have to share with me, I guess!

We eat out frequently due to travel. Here is what I have learned ...

1. I always ask to order off the kids menu & explain I had abdominal surgery. Most places will check with a manager and some dont care at all. I have only had one place tell me no.

2. If I am really wanting something, I order it. I also ask for a take home box at the same time and put about 2/3 of the meal into the box immediately and enjoy the rest.

3. Soups & Apps are a good alternative. I usually order more hearty soups like chowder, chili, chicken tortilla, or cheddar broccoli soups. appetizers sometimes do the trick, but beware of hidden calories & carbs. Many apps come fried or drenched in sauces. I have asked for the sauce on the side & had no issues. Some of the fried foods I can peel off, but not always. Sliders are my favorite! I order 2, pull off the bread and have perfect size meat/chicken/turkey patties.

4. When all else fails, I eat off my husband's plate. If I can't decide or really don't feel like much, he will order a larger portion with an extra side of veggies and I will take a bit off his plate.

I've done really well, and have not had any experiences whereby I couldn't eat ANYTHING. There is always something I can eat and we work around it.

"I was told no Soup after the liquid diet phases, because it really is just drinking your calories. If I do chili or some chowder or something, I always eat the solid bits and leave the liquidy parts in the bowl/cup.."

I'm not sure who told you that, but it makes zero sense (at least to me). Why would a hearty low fat Soup be empty calories? Why wouldn't a 150 calorie Protein shake also be "drinking your calories"?

I did speak to my surgeon about soup/liquids versus solid food and she told me that it made no difference other than how full you feel (very much with solid foods, not so much with soup).

A few weeks ago we had lunch at PF Changs and before I ordered, I went to their web site and looked at calories. I end up having a cup of Hot and Sour Soup (80 calories) and Pan Fried Shrimp Potstickers (190) -- quite a treat, low carb, and only 270 calories.

That said, you must be well informed when you order Chinese. There are a lot of high calorie dishes that look healthy!

Check out this vegan magnet -- "Hand Made Butternut Squash Dumplings" - 1110 Calories!

https://www.pfchangs.com/menu/nutrition/main/

Edited by Cape Crooner

"I was told no Soup after the liquid diet phases, because it really is just drinking your calories. If I do chili or some chowder or something, I always eat the solid bits and leave the liquidy parts in the bowl/cup.."

I'm not sure who told you that, but it makes zero sense (at least to me). Why would a hearty low fat soup be empty calories? Why wouldn't a 150 calorie Protein shake also be "drinking your calories"?

I did speak to my surgeon about soup/liquids versus solid food and she told me that it made no difference other than how full you feel (very much with solid foods, not so much with soup).

A few weeks ago we had lunch at PF Changs and before I ordered, I went to their web site and looked at calories. I end up having a cup of Hot and Sour Soup (80 calories) and Pan Fried Shrimp Potstickers (190) -- quite a treat, low carb, and only 270 calories.

That said, you must be well informed when you order Chinese. There are a lot of high calorie dishes that look healthy!

Check out this vegan magnet -- "Hand Made Butternut Squash Dumplings" - 1110 Calories!

It's not about the calories, it's about not filling you up. A chunky soup can be pretty filling if you focus on eating the chunky bits, as I do. But otherwise soup is basically eating and drinking at the same time, which we aren't supposed to do because it flushes the solids through more quickly and doesn't keep your stomach full as long.

I'm not sure who told you that, but it makes zero sense (at least to me). Why would a hearty low fat soup be empty calories? Why wouldn't a 150 calorie Protein shake also be "drinking your calories"?

It's not about the calories, it's about not filling you up. A chunky soup can be pretty filling if you focus on eating the chunky bits, as I do. But otherwise soup is basically eating and drinking at the same time, which we aren't supposed to do because it flushes the solids through more quickly and doesn't keep your stomach full as long.

This is one instance where I think you get different advice between RNY and sleeve. I think Sleevers can handle liquids and Soups better than bypass folks because we still have a pyloric valve.

I love soup. I don't eat it often but I don't avoid it.

This is one instance where I think you get different advice between RNY and sleeve. I think Sleevers can handle liquids and Soups better than bypass folks because we still have a pyloric valve.

I love Soup. I don't eat it often but I don't avoid it.

It's also an example of how every plan is different and you kind of have to find your own way eventually to be able to go on living your full life. For me, it's no hardship to give up soups. I steered clear of them for many years pre-op because of the high sodium, so I didn't have them often at all. I ate a lot of soup in my post-op liquid diet out of necessity, but again it was no hardship for me to give them up once I was on solid foods. My nutritionist's guidelines regarding soup make sense to me. I don't eat and drink together any other time, so why make an exception for soup? If soup were my favorite food in the whole world and I couldn't live without it, then I might feel differently. But for me, it hasn't been a sacrifice to give it up, so it's an easy guideline for me to stick to long term.

"It's also an example of how every plan is different and you kind of have to find your own way eventually to be able to go on living your full life. For me, it's no hardship to give up Soups. I steered clear of them for many years pre-op because of the high sodium"

Yep, my surgical crew said there was no medical reason not to eat and drink at the same time. The issue rest with how full you feel, how hungry you feel, and your calories. I find that Soup doesn't feel me up as fast as solid food, it's low in calories, and doesn't leave hungry an hour later.

They also said they want me to get plenty of salt to help retain Water....