Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi friends. Well today is my three year bandiversary and I've been in maintenance for about half that time. As many of you know, my journey was far from linear in that ten months after getting banded, I had both hips replaced. The recovery was long and hard fought and it was months before I was finally off the cane for good.

I literally had to re-learn to walk and move like a normal person. I also found myself in therapy due to body image issues and feelings of loss of control among others. I'm taking a break after two years to see if I can move forward without the therapist's help but I feel sort of like I did when I stopped using the cane. Both scared and happy to put it behind me. Time will tell if I can manage without her help.

I still have physical issues because of all the abuse my body underwent but I can do the things most people take for granted like going up and down stairs, bending over to tie my shoes, crossing my legs, fitting in a booth or airplane seat...the list goes on and on.

Mostly what's changed is that I got my life back. I know that sounds dramatic but it's true. I didn't even realize how small my world had gotten as I got larger and less able to move without pain. In 2015, I took a vacation to London which was something I wanted to do since I was a teenager. I even rode a bike through the royal parks. I met a gentleman online back in May and I am very much enjoying spending time with him. I've found physical love again and emotional closeness. The feeling of happiness as I lay in his arms nearly overwhelms me. I have to pinch myself just to make sure this is real.

My children no longer worry about my health. They lost their dad more than 20 years ago and they worried that I would die young as well and leave them without either parent. I know this is no longer an issue for them and I'm relieved I don't cause them any additional anxiety.

I like to shop and dress up. I care a great deal about my appearance now and I almost feel like a real life Barbie doll deciding each evening what I will wear the next day and what accessories I will pick from. I have lots of clothes, shoes, pocketbooks, makeup, real and fashion jewelry. It's all to make me look and feel pretty. It's wonderful to feel pretty when I felt invisible for such a long time.

I'm part of the world again and not sitting on the sidelines of it watching others engage while I cannot. I owe all of this to my band. Doesn't mean I don't struggle with hunger and making good choices. But I like the way my therapist said it. I 'sample' things now rather than overdo it. That includes food obviously but also my love life...we are NOT joined at this hip and it's a good thing. Same with work, exercise, friendships, and life in general. I sample things and savor them. In many ways it makes me appreciate it all the more because I don't do anything to excess.

For those of you starting your journey, or those of you who are vets, I just wanted to put it out there that while I went into this process kicking and screaming, it was the best thing I could have ever done for myself and my family. I will always be so grateful for the tool I now have at my disposal, and the support I get from my virtual friends here on BP.

So much to Celebrate, Liz -- very happy for you and all you've accomplished. You have been such an inspiration to me and so many others. Thank you for that! Love seeing all the fun you're having in your healthy new life!

So much to Celebrate, Liz -- very happy for you and all you've accomplished. You have been such an inspiration to me and so many others. Thank you for that! Love seeing all the fun you're having in your healthy new life!

thank you my dear friend. You know you are my inspiration as well. :)

Congratulations! You are truly an inspiration and an example for how to live life fully. This is what I want. To be able to write something even close to what you have experienced would be a miracle for me. You show that miracles are truly possible. Thank you!

Congratulations and I wish you well in your journey through life. :) ;) :P :D :lol: B) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;-)

What others have said above -- congratulations and thank you for your positive, thoughtful, intelligent posts here. I truly enjoy your company here at BP.

So, so happy for your successes and happiness. Love the "sampling" concept. :)

Congrats on your remarkable success and best wishes for an even brighter tomorrow! If we could clone your perseverance and positive attitude the world would be a better place.

You're amazing!

Here's wishing you a very happy anniversary, Liz, along with an expression of admiration, respect and excitement for your accomplishments. When you make your mind up, there's no stopping you. Thank you, too, for the open heart you show when you help others.

Congratulations! Wishing you many more years of success and enjoying life as a trim and healthy woman!!!

I am so happy for you. You have clearly come a LONG way and it sounds like every aspect of your life has changed for the better. Good for you!

Congratulations, @@gowalking!!! Such a wonderful testimony to perseverance and getting healthy. You inspire me!

You are the perfect example of why we do this and put up with the inconvenience of getting to where we are. But, all of our previous health issues were inconvenient too - and expensive. Thank you for sharing your story. It is vital to the well-being of newcomers for us veterans to share our milestones along the way. Hugs from Chicago.

Happy surgery anniversary!! Your post was very inspiring and is a good example of how freeing this surgery can be. It frees us to live the life we deserve to have. So glad to read about your successes and accomplishments. Congrats!!

Liz

Ditto on all the above.

Perhaps you have a magazine article in you. I find you encouraging and a great writer.

Obviously others do as well. Keep posting and happy bandiversary