Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP! Cant stop eating!

At two years+, I still journal what I eat and when I eat it. I account for calories, carbs, Protein, and Fiber. It's a little tedious, but a journal can be your best friend. I take mine to every appointment with my bariatric team and my primary physician They look at it and we discuss if anything might need tweaking to maximize my success.

My dad was a scientist and he told me many times that you cannot control that which you do not measure. I know I am weak, so journaling keeps me on the straight and narrow path, plus I weigh every day - many people don't need to, but I know I personally need that control.

We have a lot of details to keep track of, but it's so worth it. When I started adding the time of day to what I was eating, it really helped. I would have denied night eating (one of my major downfalls pre-op) but it has clearly snuck back in. Determine to stay out of the kitchen as much as possible and consider the kitchen as a restaurant that is closed after supper.

What helps is to have the right stuff on hand, like the Protein Snacks mentioned. Now I keep sugar free Jello in the fridge. I keep homemade bone broth in there, too. So if I must eat something at night or go crazy, I can reach for a bowl of Jello or warm up a cup of broth. Both will satisfy enough to get back to sleep......plus they both count as Fluid.

Another thing that helps is to avoid unnecessary exposure to food advertising. I rarely watch any of the food shows anymore because my mind wanders too much into the food funeral mode. My boyfriend does the grocery shopping now so that I don't have to overcome temptations that I know I could easily get reckless with. He really is invested in my success. Sometimes I will go to the produce market with him where we get our fresh meat and cheeses and fresh fruits and veggies. We do not go into the inner aisles.

I know this is a lot to lay on you, but I suggest that you go on a mission to eliminate excuses and hunger traps. At my computer desk, I have two signs: Eat Leaner - Train Meaner and Hunger is not an Emergency.

One thing you will learn about this forum is that although opinions and tact will vary, we have your best interest at heart.

This is me, but not sweets, it is bread. If I eat a piece of toast for Breakfast, I feel hungry all day.

If I eat something high Protein, low carb for Breakfast , I find it significantly easier to stick to my plan.

Maybe start tracking which days you are feeling the greatest hunger and see if there are any patterns with what you ate that day.

As much as I looooove toast for breakfast, after a handful of repeat outcomes, I have realised I just can't include it in my diet, even in moderation.

See -- this is what leads to long-term WLS success: Recognizing patterns and relationships between what you're eating and what happens afterward and, based on that, building a way to eat for the phase you're in that will work for you.

Way to go, @@BCs 1000 !

and this ^ is the point of a food journal. Yes it's helpful to see how much Protein and calories you are eating, but if you really examine and use your diary as a tool, you can spot trends about the way your body reacts to certain foods.

So when people ask if someone is keeping a food log, it's not a "stock answer". It's a proven way to monitor what you are eating and your body's response to it.

@@Miss Mac ... you are so cool. Love your approach to things and your attitude. Always have.

Thanks.

I log everything daily in an excel spreadsheet.

Example:

6:30 Premier Protein 11 oz 160 cal 30g Protein

7:30 dasani Water 16 oz 0 cal 0 protein

9:30 dasani Water 16 oz 0 cal 0 protein

10:30 greek yogurt 4 oz 80cal 12 g protein

12:00 dasani water 16 oz 0 cal 0 protein

1:00 tuna salad with protein 200 cal 20 g protein

2:00 Propel water 20 oz 0 cal 0 g protein

3:30 greek yogurt 4 oz 80 cal 12 g. protein

4:15 water 8 oz 0 cal 0 protein

6:30 baked fish/g Beans 200 cal 18 g protein

Totals 76 oz water 720 cal 92 g protein

Workout 20 min elliptical 230 cal burned.... 10 min weights...

Edited by BobbyD

@@BobbyD - that is excellent. My fitnesspal.com site does it too (saves me time looking up all the numbers). Check it out. You can friend me at thekirkshelley if you join.

try going back to basics, go over all the information that the nut gave you at the beginning. Example, my weakness if Snacks at night, so she suggested that i make a rule that if i'm going to eat at night its only at the dinner table. However, i only have healthy foods, so if i'm going to snack its ok because its all Protein. I stick to the 30/20/30 rule so that should help too. 7 months after my sleeve i still try not to eat starches, STICK TO Protein SO THAT YOU STAY FULL LONGER.

Iam 8 weeks out hungar came back about 4 ive tried it allfrom two priolsec a day to extra protien and more Water and nottttthing helped , but to eat. This isnt head hungar and it was actual and is physical horrie hungar pains so i have to eat a d keeeeep pumkin seeds 100 cal Jerky packs and super healthy stuff like this to keep my hungar at bay

Not sure how this will pan out a year from.niw when iam half way totl goal but for.now it works and i half to eay bc it hurts too bad not tl buuut when iam full i stop right away

I am sorry I didn't read the whole thread...so here is another stock reply. I have been maintaining 150#loss for a few years by making choices to help control hunger. Hunger is real, I was morbidly obese most of my life with a drive to eat that never stopped.

Sweet food (Water melon)triggers hunger. Snacking, spreading food out like that, you never get satiated and you wind up eating alot.

The solution is exactly what people have said. Eat Protein, dense Protein FIRST, folowed by green type veggies. Do that 4-5 times a day. If you eat chicken breast and broccoli, are you really hungry an hour later? Water load BIG time between meals. I never get thirsty, but if I don't get enough fluids, I am shockingly hungry...coincidence? Then, there is head hunger, that desire to eat...that is a whole nother subject but also quite real.

I guess I sound like a know it all, but all I really know is I spent decades in the 250-350 weight class and now hang out in the 150s....I was sleeves 4 years ago and I have learned that this "stock BS" actually works although it is not always easy....

Hang in there, keep working at it, make a plan, journal, set yourself up for success..you can do it!

nn1985,

I would ask you first: why are you eating? Is it because you are too hungry? Is it because you are bored? Is it emotional eating? If you’re too hungry, I would agree with other posters that suggest drinking more Water. Also, you can look for more filling foods.

I’m a little confused, though. What you listed doesn’t necessarily seem so bad, though. If you had lunch at, say, noon, and that took an hour, that’s 1:00pm. Then a cup of watermelon (which definitely isn’t a huge calorie load) at 1:30pm, then you’re hungry at 2 or 230? What if you spread it out just a little with Water, since you can’t eat and drink at the same time?

What I mean is, what if you have lunch noon to 1 like you did. Then a half hour later you have some liquid and savor it, then a half hour later you have your watermelon. That makes it 2:30. Then repeat – 30 minutes after your watermelon, have some Fluid, then wait 30 minutes. Then you could have another small snack, then have more Fluid, then wait for dinner. Would that help?

You also got some good advice to make a plan each day, if you are not doing that already, and stick to it. That’s good advice anyway, and especially good if you’re not in control as much as you were in the first 24 weeks after surgery.

Whether it’s head hunger or emotional hunger, it is true that it is a battle. Some days may be easier than others, and some WLS patients may have it easier than others, but we all need to strategize to some degree or food will win.

I am 28 wks out and the hunger is starting to kick in. I think I got too cocky since I reached my goal weight. chips go down so easy. When it hits 4:00 I could graze all night. Scares me. I drink lots of Water and if I'm going to eat...I eat some type of Protein. Before I thought, ok, this carb craving or chip craving will go away if I just eat a few chips. But then I was hungry a half hour later and I would eat a few more chips. And it just kept going on like that. I knew I had to nip that habit right away. I know my late day cravings are in my head, so I just make myself eat protein. I know once I start on the carbs I won't stop. You'll get a handle on this. It's funny how old habits resurface. Good luck!

^^^ This is exactly how it is for me. I just can't have crunchy, salty carbs in the house.

Rather than jumping into a debate I'll instead suggest that you push back the additional Snacks. See if you can wait an additional 10 minutes and perhaps it'll pass. Otherwise have good Snacks on hand that have Protein.

I do have snacks in my office and sometimes get excited about snack time. But I do my best to have healthy snacks. Fruits, veggies, Protein like hard boiled eggs or peppered beef Jerky. Plus lots of ice Water and the walk to get it :)

Watch the episodes of MY 600 LB LIFE, that should b a motivator,daily. When I watch them at night I tend to not snack and get up and start exercising.

Watch the episodes of MY 600 LB LIFE, that should b a motivator,daily. When I watch them at night I tend to not snack and get up and start exercising.

That's kind of funny, last night I caught that show "My diet is better than yours" and I caught myself thinking that I should get up and do some jumping jacks or something. I have never really been a fan of those kind of shows, but if it gets me up and moving I might could start watching!