Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any February Surgery Dates Out There?

Hi everybody, my surgery is the 29th also. I'm following this thread closely to get a feel for what everybody's been going thru. It's been really helpful already! I also don't have and pre-op diet - except for the day before my surgery is Clear Liquids and then mag. citrate in the afternoon (not looking forward to THAT part!).

I just sent a friend request!! My surgery is March 14th!

Hi all! I had revision (VBG to rny) February 10th so I am 4 days out. Going back to work tomorrow. We'll see how that goes. Have not used any pain meds since I've been home but I have slept so much that I'm finding it hard to get all of my fluids in. I'm only allowed Water, crystal light, Powerade zero and broths. I can add Protein Drinks next week. My dr said three weeks liquid then four weeks Soups then start soft diet. I'm going on a cruise in April and hope to try soft foods before we go so I know what I can handle. These forums have been very informative and encouraging! Thanks!

Feb 17 for me too, RNYDawn!

2/17 at 10:30am! Yay for us! I'm so excited!

Question @"SHOTzY*" -- What's giving you the problem with getting in your fluids...is it the constant feeling if fullness? I can certainly understand if that's the case, I'm not used to eating or drinking anything when I feel as full as I do. However, it's no longer uncomfortable to push past the feeling in an effort to get my fluids in. I'm determined because I don't want to end up going back to the hospital as a result it dehydration.

I started keeping a log of my fluids and counting popsicles, broth, Protein drinks, Decaf coffee and Water. I'm still not sure about the decaf and that's why I'm pushing to take in at least 20 more than Doc's recommendation. Plus I get up early and start sipping so I can give myself a break somewhere between 2 and 3 pm. I ordered this "adult-friendly" 16 oz sippy cup from Amazon and it really helps me to sip and not gulp.

attachicon.gif ImageUploadedByBariatricPal1455359398.429508.jpg

Also, I'm learning to drink only what I enjoy. Broth doesn't really sit well on my stomach, so tea has become my replacement. Also, Mio flavor enhancer with my smart water works much better, for me, than sugar free kool aid and crystal light. The easier it sits with my new pouch, the easier it is to get it down. One last thing, I'm using Almond Breeze for my nectar and Unjury protein drinks and I really enjoy them. I'm not experiencing anything strange, thank God. Try different thinks and see what really works. I only had 2-days of liquid pre-op and in the profound words of a BariPal Senior Member @"JamesMaruael" "I really need to stay in a happy place", especially during a 17-day liquid phase post-op that's required by my Doc.

Finally, this combo has been awesome:

-4 oz water

-4 oz Almond Breeze

-1 Splenda

-1Chai French vanilla Tea Bag brewed for 7 mins

attachicon.gif ImageUploadedByBariatricPal1455360032.374208.jpgattachicon.gif ImageUploadedByBariatricPal1455360050.075824.jpg

Try different things and see what's gonna help you reach your goal. Praying that it gets easier for you.

????. Thanks for the encouragement DDN. In doing pretty good with fluids now. I've been off the forums for a short while. I did great first three days post op, then had a set back. Extreme pain kept increasing in my lower right abdominal section of large fat and tissue. I couldn't walk anymore or get up w/out assistance. CT Scan revealed just intense inner swelling and bruising from the normal cutting and cauterizing of the procedure. My large layer of belly fat basically said "Really?? Well I'll just smack you so hard your eyes will roll!!!" My surgeon treated me good, he helped me with pain meds, he sent a team over to teach me how to move and lift myself to achieve less pain. He sent a different abdominal binder to me that is closer tons woman's foundation garment. He calls daily to speak to me.

The surgery team said this is known as a Omentum Infarc. They showed me a surgical tape of the the fat layer and how it draws up into itself and just becomes a mass of pain. Only time and forcing yourself to keep getting up and moving will help it shrink and decrease in pain. I'm better today and I'm getting in 70-80oz of water, and about 20 grams of protein. I'm very happy your doing great! I may be behind everyone, but I'll catch up! I enjoy all the posts and they keep me going ????!!!

@"SHOTzY*" Take your time and allow your body to heal properly. I'm so sorry you had complications, but we all knew about the chances going in, right? But, we appreciate you updating us...you will get on the other-side of all of this soon. ????

Woohoo...getting in the fluids is a great thing, isn't it? It was trial and error for me, but I finally figured out the taste my new pouch prefers for clear liquids. However, now I'm struggling to take in more than 26 grams of Protein each day. The taste, doesn't really matter which flavor, just doesn't sit well with my new pouch when I try and have a second or third helping of Protein. I have a followup with my surgeon and dietician on Thursday and hate to share the slow progress with the protein, but it is what it is at the moment. ☺️ Maybe things will change once I transition to the milkshake type texture...we shall see.

Get some rest and keep moving as much as you can.

Hi all! I had revision (VBG to rny) February 10th so I am 4 days out. Going back to work tomorrow. We'll see how that goes. Have not used any pain meds since I've been home but I have slept so much that I'm finding it hard to get all of my fluids in. I'm only allowed Water, crystal light, Powerade zero and broths. I can add Protein drinks next week. My dr said three weeks liquid then four weeks Soups then start soft diet. I'm going on a cruise in April and hope to try soft foods before we go so I know what I can handle. These forums have been very informative and encouraging! Thanks!

Hey there "hurst143"!

Welcome to the other-side. How was it for you going back to work yesterday? Congrats on not needing got take much pain meds. I only used my meds twice since my surgery last Monday--I like having some sense of control. I return to work on Monday. I'm getting stronger and noticed I didn't need a nap today. Lol.

Hi everybody, my surgery is the 29th also. I'm following this thread closely to get a feel for what everybody's been going thru. It's been really helpful already! I also don't have and pre-op diet - except for the day before my surgery is Clear Liquids and then mag. citrate in the afternoon (not looking forward to THAT part!).

@"Heavens2Betsy" Wishing u the best on your recovery. Walking and sipping are gonna be your best friends after surgery and it will get better each passing day. One thing that I didn't know was just how low the energy zaps after being disconnected from the IV....caught me off guard the days following my discharge, but it's getting better. Keep us posted.

Just received my surgery date today! 2/22! Putting through insurance next week! Excited but all of a sudden nervous! Anxious about the insurance approval, the surgery itself, and life afterwards but my excitement certainly outweighs the worries. Would be great to find a few people going through it around the same time! ????

Nice congratssssss mines is tomorrow , getting the lap band, good luck

Hi all! I had revision (VBG to rny) February 10th so I am 4 days out. Going back to work tomorrow. We'll see how that goes. Have not used any pain meds since I've been home but I have slept so much that I'm finding it hard to get all of my fluids in. I'm only allowed Water, crystal light, Powerade zero and broths. I can add Protein drinks next week. My dr said three weeks liquid then four weeks Soups then start soft diet. I'm going on a cruise in April and hope to try soft foods before we go so I know what I can handle. These forums have been very informative and encouraging! Thanks!

Hey there "hurst143"!

Welcome to the other-side. How was it for you going back to work yesterday? Congrats on not needing got take much pain meds. I only used my meds twice since my surgery last Monday--I like having some sense of control. I return to work on Monday. I'm getting stronger and noticed I didn't need a nap today. Lol.

Well thank you for asking! Yesterday was rough! But it was a very busy day at work and lots of stress. I never took lunch and worked 30 min late. By the time I left I was in tears. This morning I got up and the area between the drain port hole and first incision was swollen and extremely tender. I can push on the right the side of my belly with no pain but can't touch the right. I did better today and the pain and swelling has subsided. I'm finding myself a slave to my scale and weighed 4 pounds more tonight than I did this morning lol. I know better than to do that! I'm getting in fluids and hope to start some Protein Drinks on Thursday! I'm actually surprised I haven't lost more in this week than I have considering I'm taking in ZERO calories!

@"hurst143" Wow! Glad you're feeling better. That's a lot to have to deal with within a short period of time. How do you manage the stress? When I drop my son at school and watch how the teachers attempt to control the chaos, I always say "it couldn't be me".

I'm still on my two week vacation, but I took a few calls yesterday from a few staffers and I tell ya, 3 hours later the amount of stress associated with those calls caused me to feel absolutely horrible. I had to take the calls because the email exchange server hasn't sent me any emails since I've been out and I thought it was strange that I'd only received 6-7 since Feb 5th and decided to check-in. Oh well, such is work-life...my wife scolded me and I went to bed afterwards and rested until my family came home.

Don't forget to take your breaks. You need a mental break and you need to walk several times through-out the day...that should help with the scale movement. ????

We should be buddies. My surgery was Friday 2/12 and I really had high hopes of returning to work Monday after my revision on Friday.. That has not been the case.. I'm exhausted and sore.. I can't even motivate myself out to the store.. I am trying to avoid a problem with my liquids.. It's not hard to get them down.. Just time consuming and at this point I want to sleep