Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for people who are just starting the bariatric process

I have my group welcome meeting on the 9th. I can't wait! I have so many questions and thoughts about it all... I'm here in Portland, oregon and would love to connect with someone going through the process on the same timeframe.

Sent from my KFTHWI using the BariatricPal App

I have my group welcome meeting on the 9th. I can't wait! I have so many questions and thoughts about it all... I'm here in Portland, oregon and would love to connect with someone going through the process on the same timeframe.

I lit up when you wrote Portland, until I read Oregon. I'm in Portland, Maine. LOL.

I lit up when you wrote Portland, until I read Oregon. I'm in Portland, Maine. LOL.

Ah that's funny! I haven't found anyone from the northwest yet. We can still be buddies!

I am just starting the whole process. So far, all I've done is check what my insurance company requires, and I got my doctor to send a referral to the surgical team. I'm hoping I have a realistic expectation of having the surgery in January. Does anybody have an opinion on this?

I'm hoping to learn everything I need to be as prepared as possible. Feeling just overwhelmed right now.

I think it really depends on your insurance requirements and the surgeon. My insurance requires a 3 month diet, and my friend who has the same insurance and used my same surgeon said after her diet, it was about a two month wait for the surgery so I'm hoping for the same time period :)

Edited by CrystalS86

That's about the timeline I'm hoping for. Six or Seven months.

My insurance deductible resets in January, and I would hate to pay the bulk of my out-of-pocket money out before that.

@@chaneljene831 - Yeah, we can be buddies. :-)

I know exactly what you mean. I had to have my gallbladder taken out in January so I've met my deductible and almost my out of pocket max, unfortunately the program fees don't count towards that but the anesthesia and hospital bill will

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm pre-op. I've met with Psych, Nut, each once. Had my EKG and EGD, about to do a Metabolic test on Tuesday. I need to complete one more Phych aptmt and 2 more Nut aptmt and complete a total of 6 months "physician assisted weight loss" which started beginning of May. Hoping for Lat Oct or Early November surgery date. Highest: 290. Current 280. Goal weight 150, though I'd be satisfied at 175. I'm 5'6. Leaning toward RNY, but still considering sleeve. No co-morbidities. I have a good support system and am researching the hell out of this. Kind of obsessed, maybe. Trying to soak EVERYTHING in. Other people's stories, books, doctors info, fitness trackers, food journals, etc... I'm a sponge right now. :)

Edited by JKback2me

That's about the timeline I'm hoping for. Six or Seven months.

My insurance deductible resets in January, and I would hate to pay the bulk of my out-of-pocket money out before that.

@@chaneljene831 - Yeah, we can be buddies. :-)

I know I am banking on getting my surgery done end of December! I'll have to have one of these food funerals everyone's talking about over thanksgiving ????

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

I'm pre-op. I've met with Psych, Nut, each once. Had my EKG and EGD, about to do a Metabolic test on Tuesday. I need to complete one more Phych aptmt and 2 more Nut aptmt and complete a total of 6 months "physician assisted weight loss" which started beginning of May. Hoping for Lat Oct or Early November surgery date. Highest: 290. Current 280. Goal weight 150, though I'd be satisfied at 175. I'm 5'6. Leaning toward RNY, but still considering sleeve. No co-morbidities. I have a good support system and am tease arching the hell out of this. Kind of obsessed, maybe. Trying to soak EVERYTHING in. Other people's stories, books, doctors info, fitness trackers, food journals, etc... I'm a sponge right now. :)

How did the psych evaluation go? That's one of the things I'm more nervous about for some reason

Hi everyone I did go to the doctor on the 19 and i did not get my date. I was sad and upset. but I know the doctor is looking out for me. I have to lose 14 more pounds so i am working toward that goal I will keep y'all undated. Take care hope everyone is doing fine..

I'm pre-op. I've met with Psych, Nut, each once. Had my EKG and EGD, about to do a Metabolic test on Tuesday. I need to complete one more Phych aptmt and 2 more Nut aptmt and complete a total of 6 months "physician assisted weight loss" which started beginning of May. Hoping for Lat Oct or Early November surgery date. Highest: 290. Current 280. Goal weight 150, though I'd be satisfied at 175. I'm 5'6. Leaning toward RNY, but still considering sleeve. No co-morbidities. I have a good support system and am tease arching the hell out of this. Kind of obsessed, maybe. Trying to soak EVERYTHING in. Other people's stories, books, doctors info, fitness trackers, food journals, etc... I'm a sponge right now. :)

How did the psych evaluation go? That's one of the things I'm more nervous about for some reason

It was fine. A lot of questions on a computer. True/False Pretty straight forward. "I eat when bored", "I have seriously contemplated suicide in the last year" "I binge eat daily", "I have a support person for this journey" "I have lost weight successfully in the past". Etc... Mine was followed by a chat with the psychiatrist and she asked more questions, but none were hard or emotional or off-base. She set up a second meeting in July because she wants to see how my depression is affected by the nutritional adjustments and added exercise the nut will suggest. She has had the RNY herself and gave me a realistic straight up explanation that this is NOT a quick fix of all things fatty and depressing. It requires work and commitment. Surgery will help immensely but is not the cure.

It was an easy discussion. Nothing to get stressed over. Remember they WANT you to succeed, and they want your business, but they are there to make sure you get off on a great start.

Edited by JKback2me

My psych visit was easier than that, she mostly focused on did I understand how to be successful after surgery? It was more of a chit chat kind of thing than any deep analysis.

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them"

Einstein

Phew. That's good to know! Also helpful that they had the surgery and were able to give you that kind of insight

I had my Psych appointment on 6/7. It would be nice to have been able to complete it but the Dr never showed up, so she was suppose to call me, it' s now 2 days later have heard nothing from her. Little frustrated, I guess I'm gonna have to call myself.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

@@Kittymom how unprofessional!

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them"

Einstein