Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is your daily exercise routine?

I'm struggling to find a schedule for exercise that I can perform on a regular basis. I've tried a number of daily pattern changes but none seem to stick.

My day usually starts between 5:30 and 6:00am with a couple cups of coffee and a chance to catch up on the news of the day. 7am is Breakfast then getting ready for the commute to work. Work is very challenging (more mentally than physically) and by the end of the day I'm usually mentally exhausted. That plus evening social commitments from time to time make it challenging to get into a regular exercise routine. I am thinking I need to change my morning routine to add walking and a workout instead of quiet time. I've tried getting up earlier (i.e 5am) but have trouble sustaining that as well.

I'd like to hear from those who have been able to build a regular time for exercise into your daily schedule. What worked best for you?

Unfortunately, I haven't started on a consistent exercise routine. But my goal and hope is to make my lunch break my exercise time.

Since you're a guy, not sure if you only want dudes to answer, but as a woman, this was my routine.

During the year after sleeve surgery, prior to plastics, my routine was a 3 mile run every single day either around 10am or 2pm. Monday through Wednesday I also went to the gym and I did 2-3 hours of boxing, bjj, and MMA. I never really got into lifting weights- I don't enjoy it and I found that lifting while losing just keeps me from getting thin. Totally against everything everyone says, I know, but I was only able to hit goal when I lost some muscle. I am fine being smaller with less muscle, so I focused on cardio because I knew it would get me to the lower weight I wanted.

After plastics I was limited in what I could do for roughly a year or so (I had 3 surgeries- 1 every 3-4 months). I made a point to powerwalk everyday and then when I was healed enough between procedures I ran and continued going to boxing class.

I hit goal in April after which point I was still stuck recovering from plastics until about June. I powerwalked most days just to maintain. I started gaining a little in October (25 months out from sleeve surgery) so I got back to running 3 miles every single day. I was back to my goal weight range by November and then I chilled a little on the working out. Now at 28 months out from surgery I've been lazy and haven't run in probably 3 weeks. I just watch what I eat and I maintain within 1-2 pounds of my goal weight. If I start to gain, my butt starts to go for runs, and then I get back to normal.

So, my suggestion would be to exercise as much as you can tolerate until you get to goal- after that, do what makes you happy. I run now more because it makes me less cranky than because it does anything for my weight.

I swim: lap swim, Water aerobics, Water weights, etc. I don't work right now so it's fairly easy for me to get to the pool most days.

One thing that has helped me to get into a routine is to attend classes. Are there any group classes that appeal to you? If so, whether they are drop in classes or classes you have to sign up for, consider committing to attending class for 6 weeks, put it on your calendar, and attend.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I've decided it will be best to work in the exercise component in the morning, before work. Maybe treadmill or exercise time will accomplish the same goal of getting me ready for the day as coffee and reading the news.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I've decided it will be best to work in the exercise component in the morning, before work. Maybe treadmill or exercise time will accomplish the same goal of getting me ready for the day as coffee and reading the news.

So... Why not multitask? Listen to NPR and sip coffee as you walk?

So... Why not multitask? Listen to NPR and sip coffee as you walk?

Good point. I actually have a nice television in front of the treadmill and Bowflex so there really isn't any excuse. I'm just trying to figure out a routine that is sustainable.

I'm a gym rat nowadays. I lift weights for 30-45 minutes, followed by 30-40 minutes of stair climber/escalator machine or jogging on the treadmill. I lift weights 4 out of the 5 days/week I'm at the gym. I just completed the couch to 5K app and found it really helped get me to a point where I could run continuously. I do work with a trainer 2 days per week since before her I was too intimidated to go into the weight lifting area of the gym!

I work and I drive to work an hour each way. I also have two toddlers. I either start at 6am and do a workout video until 630 or I will workout after the kids go to bed and that would be 830pm to 9pm then its a shower and off to bed my self.

But I've got it now if I miss an am workout I know I have to do it at night. I only workout Monday - Friday the weekends are free.

Due to the limited daylight this time of the year my exercise hasn't been what I'd like it to be. I enjoy walking or running, but it's dark when I get up and get home from work, so I run on the weekends. During the week I work a desk job, so I choose to park in a parking lot further away from my building to get in my steps. I also take the stairs a few times a day (restroom, fill my water bottle, to curb boredom). I try to be intentional in making sure I don't sit all day. Once daylight returns I hope to be out running before work again.

Edited by naturegirl

i got sleeved 10/12 on 10/26 i signed up for personal training 3 x a week. best decision i have ever made besides getting sleeved of course. i work out 3 times a week with a personal trainer usually 2 days during week and on saturday morning. i go right after work i take my gym bag to change at the locker room from work to gym gear. although i would agree after work i am mentally drained i just want to go home and shower i push through and go straight to the gym ive been consistent with it for over 2 months now and i feel amazing