Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to expect the first week......

Please tell me what I can expect the first week

I stayed overnight at hospital two nights because I was 5 hours away. I had already taken two weeks off work, well, actually, we were already off a week for Thanksgiving. I wanted to get my rest the first week. I felt really, really, good. I still took my pain medicine because there was no reason not to take it. I did not have pain when I got home. Yes, I was still a little sore when I got up and down. I walked around at home, sometimes feeling a little weak. That is to be expected; I just had major surgery. I sipped out of medicine cups. Still could not hold much Fluid, I just took it a little at a time. It is extremely important to get all you Fluid in. I had to get 32 oz a day. That consisted of Water, gatorade, no added sugar fruit juice, sugar free popsicles, broth. I am glad my doc would not let me do Protein drinks or Soup for 2 weeks. I hear so many people on here have issues getting that stuff down. Clear liquids for 2 weeks.

I stayed in bed a lot watching tv, mostly because I have a sleep number that the back raises into a sitting position almost. It is important to sit in a chair as well. Each day I got more energy and felt better.

The surgery itself was really easy for me and the recovery as well. It is the pre op liquid diet that was hardest on me.

Good luck!!

Souds great, i love to read these types of responces... How are you doing these days?

i am doing great!!! this has been fairly easy for me....the physical part anyway..it is weird not eating real food yet, but i am close.

when is your surgery?

Monday 12/21/15.... I had the band and it slipped, so i am getting the sleeve. My weight today is 175 (the band worked great), I have gained 20 pounds since the band was removed.

I remember just focusing on getting enough fluids in during that first week. It surprised me how difficult it was to even drink Water from a little medicine cup. But otherwise, the pain level, etc. was fine. It was really just healing and adjusting

I was really tired the first week. I had a nice long nap every afternoon (and I don't usually nap). I was able to be up and about and caring for myself and my pets, but I wasn't in the mood for any big excursions or anything like that. I had some pain where my drain had been but not too bad. I had to brace my abdomen when standing up or sitting down or twisting from side to side. Getting in and out of bed was difficult -- I wished I had a recliner to sleep in! I used a heating pad on my abdomen a lot, that felt really good. I worked at getting in my fluids and Protein -- it was work, but I did hit my goals every day. I stopped taking narcotic pain meds during the day after three days, but continued taking them at night for about 10 days.

I didn't have any problems with nausea or Constipation or anything like that. Just tiredness and some lingering pain, plus it is hard to drink enough when you can only take a few sips at a time.

My first week was not fun. I had a really hard time sip, sip, sipping my Water, because every teeny tiny sip caused this whole chain reaction. I'd have constriction and pain in my esophagus, then all this gurgling coming up into the back of my throat. Ugh! But that got better as my internal swelling went down and it was a little less terrible if I marched in place while drinking.

I was tired all the time. Slept a LOT.

I had bad cramps in my lower abdomen until they removed my drain.

Every single food commercial on TV made me "hungry" even though I knew that if I actually ate that food I would die.

I definitely suffered a lot of "buyer's remorse" in the early weeks, but it all worked out in the end.

My biggest piece of advice is to try to be patient. Everything gets a little easier every day.

Fluids, walking and pain management.

Sugarfree popsicles and my hot Water bottle/pad were my best friends in week 1.

Warm drinks like herbal tea, powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken Soup, or HealthSmart hot chocolate were my go to drinks to get my fluids in. Of course only the tea worked for clear fluids time, chicken broth was bland. Thankfully that was only three days to deal with. I wasn't hungry except when I was behind on fluids or not getting in my Protein in.

I haven't found ice pops without aspartame. Maybe I need to make my own. Google "aspartame cravings" and that basically hits home with me. Took me years to figure out why I could have such mild cravings one day, and horrible cravings another. Usually turns out I ate food with aspartame in it when cravings are a raging.

Physically, my incision wounds didn't become sore for a few days. The surgeon put something to numb them that lasted a while I hear. It made walking so much better than after my band removal in September. When they did start to feel tender, they weren't that bad at all.

This is day 8 from surgery. I feel well enough to work at my desk job, but I'm tired still. Even without any prescription pain meds for five days now. I'm glad I don't have to return for 4 more days.

My first week. I couldn't get ahead of the dry heaves that first day. Ended up discharged from outpatient at three, and in the ER by 11. The trick was not the pain meds, but the nausea meds. ZOFRAM rocks! Discharged two days later. Isopure Apple Melon. chicken broth. Timed pain and nausea meds. Walking up and down the driveway. Popsicles. Imagine mushroom Soup. Giving over control. And then back to work.... Week 1 sucked. Week 2, better.

Edited by Emilie.Lancaster