Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Loosing a lot of my hair

Not much you can do to stop it. If you are one who has loss it wasn't something big you did or didn't do. It just is. A majority of us lose hair, I would say 75-80%. While everyone is different most see the largest loss in months 3-6. I just hit month 7 and it is finally stopped coming out. Many opt for a shorter haircut. I went the wig route with a topper and no one has noticed my Hair loss but me of course. ????

I haven't lost my hair yet, but when and if I do, will it come back or is the loss permanent?

Hair loss is a normal after bariatric surgery. Actually, any major surgery and rapid weight loss can cause hair loss. As they body adjust, and the weight loss slows, the hair usually regrows (barring any major nutritional deficit).

The biggest nutrient associated with hair loss is Iron. This is one reason your doctor will likely harp on keeping up your Iron supplements. Typically hair loss usually lasts for no more than 6 mos.

Interesting. I figured the Hair loss was from the trauma of surgery, but never heard the Iron deficiency part. My Dr has never mentioned anything regarding iron supplements. Only multi-vitamins and B-12. I am also taking Biotin to help stem some hair loss, but who knows how effective it really is. I'm only 7 weeks post-op, so I have a bit to find out how bad the loss will be.

That's interesting that your doc has never mentioned Iron supplements. Did you have RNY or gastric sleeve performed?

Can also be Protein deficiency. Are you getting enough protein ? For what it's worth, I am taking Iron and eating enough protein. And am still losing hair. ????

Not much you can do to stop it. If you are one who has loss it wasn't something big you did or didn't do. It just is. A majority of us lose hair, I would say 75-80%. While everyone is different most see the largest loss in months 3-6. I just hit month 7 and it is finally stopped coming out. Many opt for a shorter haircut. I went the wig route with a topper and no one has noticed my Hair loss but me of course.

@@MzB - can you tell me what topper you went with? I already have noticeably thinning hair due to PCOS but it's pretty covered with some dark dry Shampoo and Toppik. However, I know with the RNY shed, it's very likely that I'll need a topper. Any advice for this would be so appreciated Thank you!

@@RNYDawn

I use EasiPart 12" Human hair. I did this for two reasons. 1) I wanted to be able to add low lights to better match my current hair color and 2) I thought it would look more natural. Just a word of caution, HH does take more work. I have to wash and deep condition my topper each week which takes about 20 minutes, but I think that the results are worth the effort.

I have been wearing this topper since late August and NO ONE can tell! They all think I got highlights and my hair looks awesome. :) At this point I have lost about 50% of my hair so it is rather thin at the bottom but is starting to come back in on top. I may just keep wearing this even after my hair comes back in. I will see if I can post a pic so you can see. :)

post-250678-14520268562774_thumb.jpg

That's interesting that your doc has never mentioned Iron supplements. Did you have RNY or gastric sleeve performed?

I had RNY- just had 7-week post-op and they mentioned nothing about additional Iron.< /div>

Are you taking any supplements, Protein, etc? Iron absorption in a normal GI tract is only 5-15%. Post RNY your risk of malabsorption is greatly increased and could lead to many adverse health effects.

Personally, I'd follow up with my nutritionist (at the least) and confirm they don't want you to take any iron supplements.

I am taking Multi Vitamins, i increase my Protein and I am also taken Biotin. I am still loosing a lot of my hair but I've noticed when I use condition it doesn't another fall out as much. My nails are also breaking and I had long nails. I hope it gets better. I have done everything my Dr told me to do. I can't say I was never told that this would happen because Dr did say. I will just take it 1 day at a time. I had to cut my hair short so that it can look full : (

I had RNY- just had 7-week post-op and they mentioned nothing about additional Iron.< /div>
Are you taking any supplements, Protein, etc? Iron absorption in a normal GI tract is only 5-15%. Post RNY your risk of malabsorption is greatly increased and could lead to many adverse health effects.

Personally, I'd follow up with my nutritionist (at the least) and confirm they don't want you to take any iron supplements.

I am taking a multi Vitamin twice a day, Calcium, B-12, and Biotin. I guess whenever the doc requires blood work, we will find out if I need iron. I do need to contact my Nutritionist, so I will ask her about additional iron just to ward off any potential issues. Thanks.