Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What’s the Craziest Thing You’ve Done to Get in Your Workout?

It can be tough to get in a workout anytime during the year, but the holidays take the cake. You can be busy. The weather can be terrible. You may feel guilty leaving family or friends for a few minutes so you can get moving.

At the same time, this is when you need to work out the most! There’s too much food around and too much stress NOT to work out! The need to exercise can lead to some crazy strategies, like doing bicep curls with your shopping bags, following a YouTube workout video on your smartphone while you’re at the airport, or taking a walk at midnight because the snow looks so bright and pretty.

What’s the craziest thing you’ve done to get in your workout?

I'm not sure how crazy it is but I've been known to do standing yoga poses while waiting at registers. To get my steps in, I will walk in circles or up and down stairs. I also do stretches at my desk. I also do short meditations randomly.

Actually while waiting to go into surgery, I did a 30 minute meditation.

Doing standing and stretching yoga postures while standing in the jetway waiting for airline personnel to deliver carry-on luggage that was too large to store on the short-haul airplanes I have to fly to and from our nearest American Airlines hub.

Did that four times last week.

I march in place and pump my arms/do rows when I have food in the microwave.

1. Waking up at 3:45 to workout, so I can hit the shower by 5:30 (if not, I'll be late for work!)

While administering a state test and walking around monitoring the students, I would do 100 glute squeezes at a time. It was a five hour test and completed 2000 of those booty squeezes!

On evenings that I know I have an event to attend, I will actually submit to leave early from work so that I can get to the gym, workout, return and dress for the event (because I refuse to miss!). Crazy, psycho...I know.

Everyday my alarm goes off at 5:00 a.m., I put a load in the wash, I get ready, I get four kids ready (okay-okay... two pretty much attend to themselves--but I Iron their clothes and sometimes assist with hair), put wash into drier, load the kids, stop at 3 different campuses to drop off kids, go to work, get out of work around 4:30, pick up kids, start dinner (during the cooking of dinner, I: put a load in the wash, start and help with homework, fold laundry, sweep), feed the kids, change into gym clothes, put wash into drier, go workout, come home, monitor kids cleaning of kitchen and living area, shower the two little ones, read them a story, put them to bed, fold and put away clothes, take a shower, go to bed (no time for television). Wake up and repeat. THAT'S CRAZY!

1. Waking up at 3:45 to workout, so I can hit the shower by 5:30 (if not, I'll be late for work!)
  2. While administering a state test and walking around monitoring the students, I would do 100 glute squeezes at a time. It was a five hour test and completed 2000 of those booty squeezes!
  3. On evenings that I know I have an event to attend, I will actually submit to leave early from work so that I can get to the gym, workout, return and dress for the event (because I refuse to miss!). Crazy, psycho...I know.
  4. Everyday my alarm goes off at 5:00 a.m., I put a load in the wash, I get ready, I get four kids ready (okay-okay... two pretty much attend to themselves--but I Iron their clothes and sometimes assist with hair), put wash into drier, load the kids, stop at 3 different campuses to drop off kids, go to work, get out of work around 4:30, pick up kids, start dinner (during the cooking of dinner, I: put a load in the wash, start and help with homework, fold laundry, sweep), feed the kids, change into gym clothes, put wash into drier, go workout, come home, monitor kids cleaning of kitchen and living area, shower the two little ones, read them a story, put them to bed, fold and put away clothes, take a shower, go to bed (no time for television). Wake up and repeat. THAT'S CRAZY!

I wish I could like this twelve times! You are a healthy lifestyle, eyes-on-the-prize goddess!

Thank you. :)

I'll leave my desk at work, run down the stairs (6 floors) then run back up and get back to work. I've also been known to go running in the rain.

We just bought a house with a pool, right before my surgery, so as soon as the doctor cleared me I worked out every day up until late October when it got too cool to swim. The hospital where I work owns a health club, so I joined in December. I'm doing Aqua yoga and a Water boot camp and loving it! Biggest challenge is going straight from work across the street to the gym, but once I'm there I truly forget about everything else except doing the yoga poses.

I'm sore today after last night's class- who knew yoga could be such a challenging workout! After years of not exercising, the really crazy part is how motivated I am and how good exercising makes me feel physically????????????????.

I have light 3lb hand weights at home. If it's an off day. I stand up, and walk back and forth from the living room to the kitchen while doing arm raises.

On days when I am a few steps short of 10K steps I walk up and down the steps inside the house.

Anytime I go to the big box stores my rule is I have to walk the entire paremeter (inside) so I get in extra steps.

Man oh man ... what an inspiring thread!

You folks rock!

Some would call it crazy. I get up at 4:20am every work day (an hour earlier than I have to) so I can get in a stationary bike ride and watch an episode of whatever Netflix show I happen to be obsessed with at the time. After 2 years, it's a habit and it's rare that I break it unless I'm REALLY sick.

My health club opens at 5am...and I'm usually there.....3 days a week, then weekends.

After my workout, I can shower, shave, and get dressed for work right there...they also have a small restaurant - lunch counter where I can purchase a smoothie from the juice Bar for my Breakfast.

I don't think it's crazy at all, but other people say I'm nuts....

People say they would be dead on their feet for the rest of the day...but I find just the opposite to be true.

At 5am there is a large crowd doing the same, so I'm in good company.

Need this as I really need to get into my indoor mode for the next four months+ -- got to make friends with the machines in the basement as it's too cold to work out outside.

Last Sunday was yoga queen in back of a concert hall -- coukd bot sit still so used the time/space for my workout. No one noticed, great stretch session!

craziest thing I have done to get my workout in...

A guy at my gym has a fantastic fitness level. I have become his stalker (lol) I secretly compete with him when we are on treadmills. If I can out pace him or stay on my treadmill longer..It makes my day! I see no harm in my creepy stalker ways if it keeps me motivated.