Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Updates on December 2015 Surgeries

@@kimb926 the Protein bread is P28 Protein bread. Link below. I got mine from Netrition.com as I was buying other items there. It came very fresh and soft. They say to freeze it if you won't be eating it for a while. I couldn't help myself. I toasted a slice and ate a small piece (at 8 days post op). It is very filling. Once I get to Stage 4 I'll toast it with a tiny bit of Peanut Butter. Or SF jam. Or a little bit of both :P

https://www.p28foods.com/baked-goods/p28-high-protein-bread

Well, I had my first challenge tonight. I think I ate too much too fast and then my stomach felt very full and bloated. I was gone all afternoon and didn't have anything to eat (bad planning). So when I got home I felt like I had to catch up but I keep forgetting the size of my pouch! Lesson learned.

I will do better.

Surgery went well yesterday, according to my surgeon. I'm still in the hospital but I should be going home today! The hard part begins soon.

The EASY part begins!!!You will be losing and you are on your way!!!

1 week post op and I can have full liquids! Never thought I'd be this excited for 2 T. yogurt and a Protein Shake.

Hello fellow December surgery peeps! I had my surgery on the 16th and my bottom end woke up at 2:00 a.m. on Friday. Now Friday evening and have pretty severe gas but am doing well overall. I'm not in nearly as much pain as I had expected. I've had two 27 gram Protein Shakes today and chicken broth with 6 grams of Protein for lunch - will do the same at 8:00 p.m. So I will have gotten the 60 in. I can't wait for this gassy part to be finished though, at times it takes my breath away! I try to focus on the breathing exercises they gave us at the hospital and that helps a lot. Overall, on the mend and doing well, no regrets!

Edited by pink22

I had surgery on 11th December and I'm still in hospital on the mend now though. So should be home soon

Poor you, that is a long time in hospital. You must be exhausted. Hospitals are not quiet places. Let us know when you get home.

Thanks...so looking forward to this surgery...because it is scheduled for Dec 28 I feel as though it is my Christmas gift to me!I have so many things I want to do...feeling good and carrying less weight will allow my to excel in all areas of my life....you guys keep me inspired! Thanks.

Surgery was on 12/15 and I'm starting to feels the first tinges of regret. I'm still in pain, particularly on my right side. It keeps me from walking like I should. I'm getting scared of running out of pain meds before it stops.

I'm not quite getting enough fluids but my Protein intake is good. I might not be eating enough, I'm not even sure. But I figured if Protein and Water goals were met, It's good enough for now.

Between pain and food worries, I'm wondering if I did the right thing. I have no idea if any weight has been lost. (I made a promise to myself. Weigh only once a month.)

I'm sorry to be a downer. I just needed to vent. My head knows I did the right thing. My heart is in another place.

I had rny on the 16th. Home from the hospital the next day. I'm really struggling getting in enough liquids. I am sip sip sipping and maybe 35 oz a day. My tummy is so noisy with the gas I assume... I also have a drain which is gross and that site is painful. I worry that there is too much drainage. I'm getting about 60 ml 3 times a day out of it. I have 2 small kids who don't understand why I can't hold them. Thankful my huddy is off for a week to help me. It's been rough so far.

Edited by mrsob1

My surgery was Dec 1st. I'm doing really well, no gas pains or any pain at all. Mind you I was up and walking around an hour after my surgery.

food wise I'm also streaks ahead of where I should be. I mixed up the Clear Liquids and full liquids weeks 1-4 and rang my surgeon in a bit of a panic when I realised what I'd done. He said it was fine and that I wasn't doing myself any harm and that if I was tolerating it well to just try foods out. I'm now eating pretty much whatever high Protein foods I want just chewing really well. Eg, last night at my cousins wedding I had hangi (food cooked in the ground) lamb, chicken and beef - although that sounds like a lot it was probably about 1/4 of a cup in total of meats. Hangi meat is super moist so not hard to swallow. I haven't had any vomiting episodes or feeling unwell.

Liquids I'm finding I can now drink normally without pain or having to take small sips.

Wound healing - I have 6 incisions and had two of those where stitches were sticking out - probably from sleeping on my side and stomach from day 1. The nurse trimmed those up for me and now they're all healed.

Energy levels - aside from the first two days in hospital where I needed a lot of sleep due to the meds I have not noticed any change in my normal energy levels. Mind you I do inject myself with B12 every couple of months.

Bowel movements - a real issue for me. I'm not that regular anyway pre surgery and since surgery (3 weeks) I've only had one bowel movement and that was with the help of suppositories!! I've tried benefibre, alpine tea and prune juice and nothing seems to help. Hoping things will sort themselves out. Have emailed the dietician to see what she suggests. I have an under active thyroid and a slow digestive system is one of my normal symptoms.

Weight loss - it's coming off slowly but when I think I am now down 26 kg (approx 58lb) since I decided I wanted this surgery I'm more than happy with that result. Since surgery I've lost about 6kg, so the other 20kg I lost prior to surgery with my own dieting and exercise and a 2 week pre op diet.