Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Updates on December 2015 Surgeries

So how is everyone doing now that the surgery is over? I had mine Dec 1 and sometimes I have to pinch myself to remind myself that I DID IT! It's over! I'm on the OTHER SIDE now! That feels great. i'm doing everything I'm supposed to do and have dropped 22 pounds (including the pre-diet). i'm thrilled with that number. Every day the scale drops. What a fun way to start the day!

My scars are healing and not really sore anymore.

I do find that I'm more tired than I used to be. I am 61 years old, but have always had plenty of energy to get things done. I run around all the time doing errands and helping family members who need assistance. I have to pace myself.

One problem I'm having is planning for "meals" or Snacks when I'm running around. I can't wait until I can eat a Protein bar...those are so mobile. But it's hard to take 2oz of yogurt or 1/2 c of creamed, strained Soup for lunch in the car! Oh well, these weeks will pass quickly.

Tonight I tried pureeing cottage cheese because that is in my phase two "full liquids" weeks (week 2 and 3 for me). I added a little milk so it would puree better and ugh! That was disgusting. I'm not looking forward to the puree weeks (weeks 4 and 5).

So how is everyone else doing? I'm doing fine getting the Protein and Fluid in.

I went to a christmas brunch this morning and there was quite a spread and....i hardly gave it a look. Didn't eat a thing, of course.

Merry Christmas!

I had my surgery on Tuesday, the 8th. I am still in the phase where I am very gassy and more than a bit uncomfortable. I can't get down more than 4oz of Protein Shake at a time and I am having adverse reactions to broths of all kinds. I am looking forward to my postoperative appoint on the 23rd so I can have a scrambled egg.

@@kimb926, it's only been three days since your surgery! You're still in the "just starting" phase. :) I am surprised you're eating Protein shakes already? I had to have a week of Clear liquids right after surgery. I hope things start getting better for you soon!

Hello. I had my surgery on the 8th and I'm doing well I think. The gas pains are killer, and trying to get down 64 ounces of fluids isn't easy at all, but I'm giving it my best. I try and take a nice walk everyday, not a long walk, but enough to get some fresh air and stretch my legs.

Is anybody getting the urge to chew something? I'm not talking about being hungry, I'm not, but the urge to put something in my mouth and chew gets intense sometimes. Just wondering. :)

My surgery is scheduled for Dec 28

@@delibeanjelly I haven't wanted to chew stuff as much as I have just thought everything around me smells amazing. I am constantly thinking of foods I used to eat and want everything you can imagine I am literally dreaming about.

I'm going in on tuesday, the 15th. On the subject of post-op diets, my puree stage starts as soon as I get out the hospital overnight. liquids are for the hospital. I feel terribly lucky I get to skip clear liquids and full liquids and all that.

I'll be back after surgery with an update!

I think my doctor must be conservative, protecting the pouch....allowing it time to heal. That's what I was told. I had one week of clear liquids, now I'm on two weeks of "full liquids." Then two weeks of pureed. Then one week of "soft" like cottage cheese, applesauce etc. THEN...week seven...normal foods as tolerated.

I had surgery on December 8th and am also struggling with the gas pain. I was off pain meds for about two days but would take it if I felt it would work against the gas. Otherwise, I'm sipping broth, flavored water and frozen sugar free pops which taste amazing. I'm not getting all my Protein or liquids yet but I'm working on it.

I had surgery on Saturday and I'm home today (Monday). I'm on Clear Liquids for a week, then full liquids.

My surgery went well. I have to keep reminding myself to drink small sips. My perception of the size of a sip pre-op vs post-op is very different. Learned the hard way.

Congratulations and best wishes for all the December surgeries. I had mine 12/2/15 and feel wonderful. My belly doesn't feel "normal" yet but I don't expect it to for a while. At this point, I'm just tired.

Protein drinks......I've had some horrible experiences. I bought a bunch of samples and am working my way through them. Today I had strawberries and cream with soy milk. I always refrigerate for as long as possible because it does help with the taste. I took the shake with me while helping a group assemble holiday gifts. It was horrible. I had to hold back gags and ended up drinking it as quickly as possible.

I try to drink one 28 gram Protein shake/day. I'll have 15gram chicken broth and yogurt. I just started cottage cheese so that's adding to the daily goal. I know I need to get in more protein but I should be able to have pureed Soups tomorrow (post op visit). I make a mean lentil Soup that'll be delicious and protein packed ala pureed.< /p>

It's interesting to read the differences in post surgery diet phases. I was on small amounts of Water the first day and then straight into Protein shakes the next. My food tray would come with one Protein Shake, Jello, broth and a big Water. Nice choice!

I'm supposed to stay on Protein Shakes and clear liquids (sf popcycles, sf Jello etc.) until my post op follow up. I added cottage cheese a day ago (have to remember not to shovel it my mouth) and did fine with it. I have also started eating high protein oatmeal. It's very liquidy and there's really nothing to chew. Not the best oatmeal I've had but it's high in protein and doesn't make me gag.

I also found a high protein bread for down the road. It's got 28 grams of protein / 2 slices. Good reviews too.

I'm a vegetarian so I've been looking for tofu recipes. Tofu is in the same bracket as Protein Drinks with me. But, I'm going to give it a shot. I think if I get it really crispy and use a tasty dipping sauce, I'll be good.

Pam

My band to sleeve conversion tomorrow in Dallas! Prayers appreciated.