Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone go to surgery alone.

My brother went with my mom and at the time he was 19, I was in high school or I would have gone with her. And then she came with me. I couldn't imagine being in the hospital alone mainly because i got bored and wanted to talk.

Good grief! She's not dying. She's going to be in the hospital. She'll have nurses watching after her. She'll be fine.

My husband who adores me (and vice versa) certainly did not spend the night with me post-op. That's what nurses and call buttons are for.

Yes, she'll need someone to take her home when she leaves the hospital. My hospital required a friend / family member do that. They won't let a taxi driver take you home. ;) So she needs to cover that situation with her boyfriend or her son.

But otherwise, she'll get plenty of medical attention from the people her insurance company is paying to do those jobs.

My best friend went with me, I drove to her house and we left in her car for the hospital. She sat with me until I got out of surgery and was in the room with me when they brought me in. She got me situated, made sure I was asleep and then left.

I texted her the next day when it was about time for me to be released and she came back and got me. I spent that night at her house and drove myself home the next day. She had gastric bypass with the same surgeon 5 years ago so she had a lot of wisdom on what I would need which was great.

I'm going to be dropped off, the hubby will be at work and my kids will be at my mom's house for a week. I'm actually really looking forward to the mini vacation stay at the hospital. Hahaha. Haven't had that much time to myself since I had babies. I'm going to enjoy every second. My hubby will come by to visit, but I wouldn't expect him to stay 24/7.

I was in a similar position, wife just started a new job, so she could only come to surgery check-in but had to leave within 40min...it was another hour and half before they wheeled me in to the surgery room.. she did not get back to see me until super late that evening and my procedure was in the early morning.

I did not mind, the surgeon was nice enough to give her a call personally post procedure to let her know the outcome and how i was doing. that was nice of them.

My husband stayed until was in my room, then left to travel back to our kids. I was essentially alone for the time I woke up until 3 days later when I went home. It was fine. I basically slept the whole time.

I haven't told anyone other than my boyfriend and kids. He just got a new job and doesn't have time off from work, my oldest is 20 I could have him go with me but I feel like meh... I'd really rather my Bf go and he can't so alone it is. I really think I will be fine alone but I'm looking for advice from anyone who has went alone.

Told my sis & bestie 2 weeks prior to surgery. My mom 2 days before. I didn't bring anyone to the hospital. I got dropped off the day of surgery and had the hospital call them once I was in recovery. Everything tuned out fine.

The hospital where I went said someone had to be there and stay during the procedure. Check with your hospital to make sure you don't have to have someone there.

I slept for hours after surgery then dozed for hours after that. It would've been pointless for anyone to be there, and super boring for them!

I went alone. Sister dropped me off at the hospital before work that morning. Told her give me a call/stop by after work. No sweat, the surgery aint all that.

I survived alone, frankly they all came up there but I was so out of it I didn't know. The pain was crazy and I was throwing up a lot. Been home two days and the vomiting has stopped and I'm working on getting my liquids in. This was much more than I expected. I have to go back to work on Monday wish me luck

cookies_queen, when you are back to work on Monday, can you update how you are doing, please? I'm planning to do exactly what you did for the same reasons, basically (hubby can drop me off, has no real days off unless an emergency,) and I figure I'll be out of it/tired and might (hopefully) enjoy some rest without my little ones needing my attention.

I have a sedentary job from home and am hoping/praying I can go back to work the next week like you are. Please let me know how it goes!

I'm sorry you were throwing up. That has to be very painful. Eek!

I went alone. I took a taxi there. It was fine. No problems at all. The staff were all very kind and there was a lot of pre-op activity to keep me occupied. After surgery, I was so out of it. I was relieved to be alone then. Do what feels best for you. Don't feel obligated. You will be fine without someone there if that's what you prefer. Start this new life by doing what you want. :)

Edited by JCP

Here's the thing I had a metabolic issue after surgery. I'm like turn the heat up and leave me alone to sleep in peace. No cell phones, phones, electronic devices (I was trying to unhook the IV when it constantly went off, couldn't sleep). No one bugging me. Get that catheter out, that drain was a huge issue, let me sleep in peace. Since they just left me ill and sick without anything to fix the metabolic issue, I could have gone home and been comfortable in my own bed, not left to suffer with nothing.