Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone go to surgery alone.

I haven't told anyone other than my boyfriend and kids. He just got a new job and doesn't have time off from work, my oldest is 20 I could have him go with me but I feel like meh... I'd really rather my Bf go and he can't so alone it is. I really think I will be fine alone but I'm looking for advice from anyone who has went alone.

I had my son go with me, 21. BEST DECISION I MADE. You will need someone to speak up for you, to call nurse, etc. So if you can, take your son and tell him to be assertive when calling the nurses and take note when doctor visits.

My suggestion, have someone with you

I have had surgery alone...your boyfriend will pick you up right?According to the facility the stay is generally 36 hours.You can do this...Have your phone ,mobile devices so you can talk to someone.My parents work and they are the only ones that are privy to my surgery.I will be dropped off in the morning for surgery and the next evening they will pick me up when I am to be released.In the meantime doctors and staff will be poking and prodding....

If you have your son why not have him there?

I was planning to go alone for the surgery. But since my older daughter knew about it and I was comfortable with her being there, I took her since she insisted. She is 16. I recommend that since your BF and children know about them, you should take ur son, coz the day of the surgery and the next day will be hard and it would be nice to have someone of your own around to get u stuff when ur in pain. But after the first week, you will be able to pull it off well. I was glad I took my daughter and that's the best decision I made. Please don't go alone, unless u don't have one, but since u do then use it. Good luck!

Leave the number of whoever you want updated so the doc can call after surgery

I went into mine alone. I flew to Vegas (which I hated) spent one week there and flew back. No, it wasn't the greatest time ever, I felt very alone most of the time. I did meet some really nice people who were there also for the same reason however. I didn't really have much choice in the matter as my wife's schedule got goofed up.

Just make sure everyone involved has a contact method of anyone they need to, that was one thing that got fouled for us.

@cookies_queen I'm not understanding why you wouldn't want your son there with you ... As others have said ... You should have someone there to talk with, get a doctor or nurse for you should you need it ... speak up for you, get you some ice chips, etc ...

I don't think you should deprive your son of the chance to take care of you for a change! This is about YOU ... let others help you and care for you like you have done all these years ...

if nothing else ... It's good practice for when you're 90 and have to move in with him and your daughter in law! :) (jk)

Don't go it alone ... support is very very important!

I hate to ask people for anything... My boyfriend will drop me off and come back when I'm in recovery I'm sure I'll be fine. I did tell my son I would be there alone if he wanted to come. He also has to pick up his 7 year old sister from school and his 16 year old brother from soccer practice and get them home and make dinner. So I'm not exactly depriving him of helping.... Making sure the two of them are taken care of is more important to me than being at the hospital alone... It's just nerve racking I guess. I'll keep my phone and be in touch with everyone up Untill they take it away. I'm hoping by the time I'm in my room the Bf will be off work. Thanks for all the advice... I hope it goes as well as I have it planned tomorrow is the big day!

Have your son go with you. You could do it alone if you had to, but if your son can be there for you then let him. You will never be more vulnerable than waking up from major surgery. My sister was there for me and I cannot tell you how comforting it was. Hats off to anyone that had to go it alone, and if I had to I would 100% still have done it, but that would never be my choice.

Yep, I would definitely take a kid if your BF can't be there. Having someone to advocate for you when you need it is important especially at first when you don't feel well. An older kid can call for the nurse, take notes from the doctor and provide moral support. Its better not to go it alone if you don't have to.

Your son is your blood relative...no one cares more...don't deny him.